Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Frequent criers: Elite fliers are ruining air travel

Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL

I disagree with Chris. If I pay $300 to fly trans-con (which, BTW, was what I paid in 1998) and am not a repeat customer (i.e. elite), then I deserve to be treated like dirt. However, I do feel bad for the non-elite $1500 Y-class customer who ends up getting treated like me. They have a right be upset. (So perhaps maybe Chris could be referring to the latter not the former.)

The person who paid $2000+ and is seated in F deserves to be treated like royalty. To me elites in Y getting extra perks, despite paying $300, can get away with it since they're repeat customers and statistically bring in a lot of consistent revenue for the airline.

- Pat

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25192959/

"Opinion
By Christopher Elliott
Travel columnist
MSNBC contributor

The last thing I want to do is start a class war at 36,000 feet. But enough is enough."
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; SPG Plat (yay!); Hertz 5-Star
Yeah, I read this; and while I think Elliott does a lot to help the clueless traveller, I think he's dead wrong on this one. I agree with Wiirachay on this one.

If you want to get treated like an elite, then fly like one & earn your elite status and benefits as most of us have. For the love of planes, Elliott, stop your crying and if you are in Y (as I often am), stay out of the F cabin - use the Y restroom.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and AA Concierge Key
I think high fuel costs have a heck of a lot more to do with poor U.S. air travel than high-volume customers with surly attitudes
Old Jun 16, 2008, 1:04 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Newsstand
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 16, 2008, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
To what over-the-top domestic first class meals is he referring?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 1:14 pm

Hmmm...most FA's I've spoken with say that GS/1K's are the most informed, patient, and flexible customers. Meanwhile Elliott is making a story out of emails and his own recent and no doubt embellished experiences...How about this for a headline: Frequent criers: Elite bloggers are ruining journalism
Old Jun 16, 2008, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I hate whiny travel writers who seldom have a real grasp of what is going on in the industry!
Old Jun 16, 2008, 1:18 pm

hum....

Being a lowly non-status frequent flier, I have no objections to people getting perks when they've paid 4x the price I paid for my ticket. That's like paying 10,000 for a car and being upset that someone else bought a 100,000 BMW. Or that a bargain rate hotel room has no view and isn't a penthouse.

Even being a very leftist person, I can't justify the attitude that paying more doesn't entitle one to more. I have a coworker that pays for business and first class when we travel and I'm not the least bit jealous. If I paid 2000.00 or more for the ticket, I could sit next to him.

Things are very democratic. You get what you pay for.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, DL DM MM. National Exec... and my CC qualified for Plat. Status!
You may disagree or take offense to what he is writing, but if you have traveled as much as I am sure you have, you have to see his point.

How many people have seen someone using their cell phone or blackberry (Not in flight mode)in flight? Did you say something? Danger, probably not, annoying because they think the rules do not apply to them, absolutely!

How many people have seen the dreaded 3 carry-on guy or the late comer who decides that he can move everybody's stuff just so his will fit.

I see his point. Most of us are just trying to get from A to B quickly and comfortably. Some of us are the bad apples that are going to ruin the bunch. I say, lets weed them out...

Public canings would be appropiate as would tattoos across the forehead. Who's with me???
Old Jun 16, 2008, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by elmococker
How many people have seen someone using their cell phone or blackberry (Not in flight mode)in flight? Did you say something? Danger, probably not, annoying because they think the rules do not apply to them, absolutely!

How many people have seen the dreaded 3 carry-on guy or the late comer who decides that he can move everybody's stuff just so his will fit.
Truthfully, these folks could be in any COS, along with the pre-boarders who really don't need a little extra time going down the jetway, the Tommy Bahamas who crash the GA line with just one little question, to the buffalo butts that snort and point to the window seat rather than asking politely if he could slide into seat A.

I think there are a few types of entitlement: the Gold sort that have paid full freight and don't mind just helping themselves; the Silver sort that "earned it all," and are entitled to "take it all;" and the General sort that have paid discount and are entitled to every penny of value they can extract
Old Jun 16, 2008, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Yup -- just another article proving Christopher Elliott is an idiot. Picking a few outrageous stories out and calling them the norm is not journalism.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Articles like this just encourage confrontations with Gomers and Kettles who complain about elite lines at security, elite boarding, and the other small perks that we receive.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I'm glad he pointed out that AA "coddles" Plats like me. I hadn't noticed.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by ButIsItArt
Truthfully, these folks could be in any COS, along with the pre-boarders who really don't need a little extra time going down the jetway, the Tommy Bahamas who crash the GA line with just one little question, to the buffalo butts that snort and point to the window seat rather than asking politely if he could slide into seat A.

I think there are a few types of entitlement: the Gold sort that have paid full freight and don't mind just helping themselves; the Silver sort that "earned it all," and are entitled to "take it all;" and the General sort that have paid discount and are entitled to every penny of value they can extract
Best

Ever
Old Jun 16, 2008, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA-LifetimePremierGold, PLT: Bonvoy, IHG, GLD: Enterprise, Budget
Question MSNBC article on "elite flier entitlement" ?

not UA specific, but the behaviors are true of high-level M+ :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25192959/from/ET/

interested in M+ FT opinions on:
- bad behaviors that elites "brought on themselves"
- stuff due to UA "coddling" us (at their cost/loss/business risk) when they needn't have

** EDIT **
- dupe post - did not see the earlier postings.
Since this has been merged, the above link is redundant and can be ignored.

##################

"though shalt not whine"

Last edited by nsx1164; Jun 16, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.