Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at YYZ / YOW

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2008, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
Cars at YYZ / YOW

Hey folks,

Anyone have some recent experience renting from either Toronto (YYZ) or Ottawa (YOW) and what kind of car to expect to choose from as an Executive Emerald Club Member?

I've booked a fullsize for the upcoming weekend. Do either of those two cities have executive lineups?

Thanks!
Old May 15, 2008, 6:12 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont PC, AC nobody, VIPorter, National Exec, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Yow

Rented from the Ottawa downtown location 2 weeks ago. As an exec member, booked a mid-size and was given the choice of a barebones Avenger, an Impala/Grand Prix or a Nitro. Took the Nitro - had sunroof and Sirius radio...nice ride but hard on gas. Also spotted a Ford Edge and a couple Minivans while there.
Old May 19, 2008, 6:26 am

Programs: Starwood Plat UAL 1MM Hertz 5* Hyatt Diamond NAT Exec Elite AA EXP
I've been into YYZ 4 - 5 times since last November. The selection always seems sort of sparse, but the staff have always accomodated me to find a decent car from their inventory. Picked up an F150 with Sirius and Sync last time. It was particularly helpful because it was snowing like all get out!
Old May 19, 2008, 6:30 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
I have rented about 30 times from YYZ. Recently taking my business to Hertz, as National has been TERRIBLE. The past 4-6 rentals I have been DOWNGRADED, as they are out of cars! Last time I was told a mazda 3 was a PREMIUM!!! I have spoken with the location manager, and he assures me things will "get better", but I havent seen it, and will only rent Hertz from now on.

NO EA at the int. terminal. NO UPGRADES! If you rent a fullsize, you MIGHT get a fullsize!
Old Jun 18, 2008, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Any experiences at Toronto Airport recently? How about the downtown locations (Yonge/Bloor / Union Station)? Have some rentals next week.

Ron.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 9:21 pm

-----

Last edited by ram27p; Nov 27, 2008 at 10:25 am
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:09 am

Going to YYZ from Aug1 - Aug4

Was wondering if National has anything under 150 for the weekend... im searching and coming up with nothing under 190.. and im mixing and matching codes and coupons like crazy...

I think i got a headache.. good grief..

Anyhelp?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 1:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Anyone recently?

Anybody had any recent experience at YYZ?

It was hell last time I went, in June, had to wait 45 mins to get a car. I complained and they swapped me into a convertible

Do they still have Emerald Reserve in T1? I'm flying into T3 but I'll gladly take the Link train if I can pick my own car at the other terminal. What's the selection like these days?
Old Dec 4, 2008, 3:17 pm

Anyone have an recent experience they can comment on with the aisle? I'll be there Dec 12th.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:21 pm

YYZ: I got a Charger a couple weeks ago. My wife got a Sebring this past week.

Sometimes there is nothing, sometimes a good selection.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 7:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by douflaginc
Anyone have an recent experience they can comment on with the aisle? I'll be there Dec 12th.
I fly in late evening on the 11th. If this rental turns out anything like the last one I'll probably wind up meeting you there...
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:49 am

Update

Hey gang - So I landed at YYZ just after 11 this evening and I picked up my car at Terminal 3, which is counter service. I had a fullsize booked, and was offered a Grand Prix. I asked her if she had anything else and she asked me what I wanted. I asked her just to list a few options, and she offered a couple of different SUVs or a Lincoln MKZ, which I agreed to take. Then she casually mentioned that the upgrade would add $150 to my bill, so naturally I took the Grand Prix. It had 32,000 km on it and the XM radio trial was expired. The only other fullsize car was a Charger, and I noticed at least three FCAR bookings on the board, so what do we want to bet the non-status customer who happened to be the last one in got the MKZ for free..... They also had a few PT Cruisers, a Kia Spectra and a couple of Jeeps, nothing too exciting. I noticed Hertz had a 328i and A4 sitting in their Gold stalls. ^

I zipped over to Terminal 1, where Emerald Reserve is, to see if they had anything that might tickle my fancy. The aisle was closed as it was near midnight at this point, so all customers have to go to the counter for service. Here were my observations:

Midsize
Close to a dozen PT Cruisers, a handful of Calibers (still don't get how they pass these off for midsizes), a Nissan Sentra, and two Dodge Avengers.

Fullsize
Mostly more Grand Prixs, a few Impalas and 2009 Sonatas, and one or two Altimas.

Premium
Empty.

Luxury
Two Grand Prixs and a base model Impala...not even joking. I did notice a Taurus X with leather seats sitting in Luxury as well.

Compact
Cobalts and Spectras from what I could see.

Minivan
All Grand Caravans, and quite an impressive number of them.

SUV
Didn't get a good hard look, but I'm pretty sure I saw some smaller Jeeps and maybe a Ford Flex.

So yeah, I left somewhat underwhelmed. I've been fiercely loyal to National since my corporate account waives the underage fee. This year will be my second in a row qualifying for Executive Elite based on number of rentals. That said, barring any unforeseen circumstances this will be my last trip to Toronto before turning 25. I'm thinking more and more that I'll be giving another company a try. Like Hertz, I'd rather have paid $25 a day to take a BMW or Audi than to pay that same amount to National, where I rent from 30 times a year, to essentially get a Ford Fusion with a Lincoln badge.

Sorry, rant over. Hope my observations are helpful to any YYZ travelers.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
To essentially get a Ford Fusion with a Lincoln badge.
Well, if it helps any, the 2010 Lincoln MKZ has been greatly redesigned and looks nothing like a Fusion.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
National Executive is a joke at YYZ

Had a reservation for a full-size a few weeks back, I'm Avis CHM but I just wanted to see what National was like.

Was waived into the booth in the T1 lot, asked for my National ID. She said take anything parked in the fullsize lot. Walked over to a base silver 300 parked in a fullsize spot. The lady came running out and told me it would be $9 more per day to have it.

I protested for a few minutes, she was very firm and wouldn't let me leave. Got out of the car and into a tired old Impala. Drove over to the exit gate and the guy working the booth asked me what all the fuss was about. I explained the situation and he said to go put the Impala back and grab the 300.

Just as I was driving out with the 300, booth lady was seen in my rear view mirror walking briskly towards me and the gate attendant.

Just horrible...
Old Dec 12, 2008, 2:07 pm

I'll bet that was the same lady I had the pleasure of dealing with last June....

Yeah I definaterly think I'm trying someone else next time. I left Thrifty in YZZ due to poor customer service and now I'm getting the same with National. That and they really have a lack of variety for cars. I was hoping for even a base model G8 or something relatively fun. I know state-side they have more of the "fun" cars so I'll probably try my luck down there.

National in YYZ is consistently getting poorer, I remember standing around waiting for cars last June and I heard a guy stand beside me say "I'm in a different National car every week all across North America and this is the only place I ever have a problem."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.