Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Uh-oh, UA also eliminates 500-mile EQM minimum; Add your speculation about AA here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uh-oh, UA also eliminates 500-mile EQM minimum; Add your speculation about AA here

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2008, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York

Pretty much as the title says. UA joined US in moving to eliminate the 500-mile EQM minimums. This trend is just not a good one.

Mike
Old May 14, 2008, 9:28 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
As a SJC-based flier with a number of RJ hops to LAX to get to what AA considers a "real" airport, I am none too happy with the potential implications.

That said, the reality in any given year is not that many miles in an EXP qualification scheme.

Cheers.
Old May 14, 2008, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't see AA following this bone-headed decision by US and UA, but I've been wrong before.

What it clearly doesn't do is solve the airlines' biggest pressing problem: Revenue that doesn't quite match expenses. Eliminating the 500 mile (point) minimum doesn't do anything to raise revenue.
Old May 14, 2008, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I'm not certain that AA will follow suit, fuel surcharges, increased baggage fees I understand. This relates more directly to the AAdvantage program and there are a variety of differences between AA and the other programs. I can't help but think this is just one more step to equalize the US and UAs FF programs in anticipation of a merger.
Old May 14, 2008, 9:42 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by mikeef
Pretty much as the title says. UA joined US in moving to eliminate the 500-mile EQM minimums. This trend is just not a good one.

Mike
I'm looking at the UAL site, and have read their press releases ... I don't see this announced anywhere.

Do you have a link you can provide?
Old May 14, 2008, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
I hope AA plays this the smart way. A nw/dl and ua/us merger will cause massive problems with their FF programs and customer service for years. AA may be the beneficiery of swarms of disgruntled travelers coming over to AA and a stable FF plan. Thats IF they play it smart.
Old May 14, 2008, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
3.5 Months...

While it does nothing to raise revenue as pointed out before, it does slightly reduce award liability and # of people with status.

In reality completely meaningless, a bonehead move...

Desperate measures for desperate people

Cheers
Old May 14, 2008, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miamigrad
I'm looking at the UAL site, and have read their press releases ... I don't see this announced anywhere.

Do you have a link you can provide?
Here's the link and it is being discussed at length in the FT UA forum.
Old May 14, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by miamigrad
http://www.united.com/page/article/0...programchanges
Old May 14, 2008, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deltahater
3.5 Months...

While it does nothing to raise revenue as pointed out before, it does slightly reduce award liability and # of people with status.
But if they are interested in reducing the # of people w/status, then AADER was a really dumb move.
Old May 14, 2008, 10:00 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Reducing the number of people with status isn't an especially big win for airlines. Leaving aside award travel, and just looking at upgrades, how many upgrades squeeze out paid fares? I'd think not too many. How much more does it cost to provide a J or F seat over a Y seat? The seat is already installed, there's an FA already serving the cabin. The marginal cost can't be too high.
Old May 14, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
It seems to me that the real logic for AA would be to do what they already do with cheap BA flights, reduce RDM to actual (+ various bonuses) and leave EQM at 500 minimum. This way it will have no effect on elite numbers (and not annoy some of their best flyers), but will reduce the number of miles out there to be spent.
Old May 14, 2008, 10:20 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jabrams72
It seems to me that the real logic for AA would be to do what they already do with cheap BA flights, reduce RDM to actual (+ various bonuses) and leave EQM at 500 minimum. This way it will have no effect on elite numbers (and not annoy some of their best flyers), but will reduce the number of miles out there to be spent.
This would be a VERY sensible move on AA's part (if they are even contemplating following UA/US). They'd win over some of these furious UA folk.
Old May 14, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bdemaria
But if they are interested in reducing the # of people w/status, then AADER was a really dumb move.
But AADER gives people a warm fuzzy base on the MD hurdle recently. If you've got status that you didn't have before, well, warm fuzzy.
Old May 14, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bdemaria
someone pointed that out on the UA forum too - why host a DEQM promo, then go hack-n-slash on the miles? Not to mention, UA was the last of the 3 to offer a DEQM promo. How does any of this make sense?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.