Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Narrowed it down to 4 credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2003, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Narrowed it down to 4 credit cards

I wasn't sure where to put this since it is a question about several cards, not one card for one airline.

Ok, I would like to sign-up for a second mileage earning card and after 2 weeks of research, I have narrowed it down:

1.Delta
2.usairways
3.american
4.starwood

ok, delta has the nice double miles bonus on certain purchases AND from 5/15-7/15 they are having double miles on all purchases.

usairways is an airline I fly the most next to continental

american seems to have that "all miles count toward the million mark" thing for permanent elite status.

everyone seems to love starwood bc of the 20,ooo=25,000 conversion bonus

Ok, at this point I am having a very hard time choosing. I have never flown american or delta but those two perks might make me switch over.

I charge every single thing I can. I usually charge at least 2,000 a month and atleast 30,000 a year.

I only fly about 5-6 times a year and it's LAX to Buffalo or NYC. I will be flying to other places in the next year or so that are out of the country.

0% intro or BT's would be nice but not if it means a low sign-up bonuus.

If I am wrong about any of the perks I listed please correct me. If anyone has any thoughts on which card would be the best, I would really appreciate it.

I hope I included all the info that is needed in order to get advice. Thanks in advacne for your thoughts.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 7:48 pm
Suspended

I am sick of miles since the airlines have made it harder to get awards and raised award levels. I do like miles but only by legitimate travel.

As far as general spending, I use the new Chase Freedom Master Card which was a replacement when Shell Master Card broke away from their association with Chase. One gets 5% back in gas for gas purchases and 1% for everything else. The card is free.

I suppose if one charges thousands of dollars per month, they can justify the annual cost for an airline affiliated card.

If you don't fly AA or DL, you might miss out on AA and DL offers and you won't have trip earned miles to add to credit card miles. Therefore, consider US Airways' card. I think US is a decent airline.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Is your first mileage earning card an Amex, Diners, or MC/Visa?

If you already hold one MC/Visa, the Starwood Amex might be a good one for you to have. Lots of flexibility: you can go with hotel stays if you need them, or go to AA with your 20k-25k conversions if you are closing in on 1MM AA Lifetime.

I held the DL Amex card for one year and earned some huge bonuses. It was worth the $85 one time, but would not have been worth it ongoing. Starwood Amex is easier to swallow: first year free, then $30/year (unless they've changed that).

I currently hold the AA Mastercard. I find it to be worth the $50/year because it's the only MC I've held in the past five years that has pretty good customer service. There are occasionally discounted-mileage awards for cardmembers, but I've never been able to take advantage of them. I will cross 1MM on AA within a year, and I may reevaluate whether I need the card after that.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

ok, thanks both. My other card is a continental mastercard.

also wanted to mention that I'm not interested in doing the "get the card for the first year and then canceclling it" I plan on keeping whatever card I choose..not sure if that makes a difference in peoples choice.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; IC RA
2,000 miles a month? What you need to do is find a friend who is in the construction industry. You can rack up 30 times this per month at the lumberyard, not to mention the carpeting, appliances, lighting...
Old Apr 15, 2003, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by xpacific:
2,000 miles a month? What you need to do is find a friend who is in the construction industry. You can rack up 30 times this per month at the lumberyard, not to mention the carpeting, appliances, lighting... </font>
I don't understand what you mean...maybe I'm tired...do you mean 2000 a month is not enough?
Old Apr 15, 2003, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I don't understand what you mean...maybe I'm tired...do you mean 2000 a month is not enough? </font>
I think that xpacific means that you could be getting a lot more miles for expenses that you wouldn't normally incur. I do this through my own business chase card that gives CO miles. But don't even think about doing it with someone else's miles, unless you are ready to become co-owner and deal with the tax implications.

BTW, I think, from what I've learned here, that the Starwood AMEX is the best choice.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 10:54 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
If your goal is to maximize frequent flyer miles, then the AmEx Skymiles card is your best bet. Due to some things being always double miles (groceries, hardware, gas, usps), the random double miles on everything promotions, and the 10,000 bonus on renewal for 25K in yearly spend, your 30K in spend will likely turn into about 45K miles (assuming your spending is something like mine). You can also boost this through some additional manipulation (e.g. savings bonds during double miles promotions), but this is true of just about any card (perhaps not doubled). If you go for the Skymiles platinum you can also get a 15K signup bonus.

You may consider starpoints worth more (for free hotel stays) however, or be willing to give up some miles for the flexibility of choosing the airline to send your points to (all the biggies, except UA which has a 1:2 conversion rate). In which case Starwood is the better choice. The starwood card has a 10K signup bonus (search the starwood forum for a link) which gives you 4K for the first purchase and another 6K over your first 11 purchases at starwood properties (technically it is supposed to be stays, but any charge from a starwood property that is coded as lodging will get you the credit - some hotel restaurants will likely work).

All of the above assumes that your spend can be done primarily on AmEx which is not always a good assumption. In any case you will want a Visa/Amex to back up the AmEx for places that don't accept AmEx.

I agree with Human Unit that the Chase Freedom Card (formerly the Chase French card ) is a great choice. Unfortunately I respectfully disagree with most of the other things he says (the rebate is 6% for gas in the first 90 days the card is open, 3% afterwards, and 1% for all other purchases). The really great thing about this card is that the rebate is delivered as a card credit the next month as opposed to waiting for the end of the year. It also gives you the full rebate from the first dollar spent as opposed to other cards that only give you the full percentage after thousands of dollars of spend (e.g. discover).
Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

notsosmart-thanks for answering that question for me. I don't have any business expenses though. Those are just my monthly bills and what-not...so I think I am missing how to make more miles. ? ?
Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

VPescado-

wow..lots of grgeat help there. thank you. My goal is to maximize miles for free tickets..I really don't need hotels. I mostly go hoem to visit my nephew so I stay with my parents and I have a time share for other trips so the airfare is what is needed.

I really am looking at that delta amex...

Someone posted a great offer that was snail mailed ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/010059.html )but I don't think it's for everyone. so I will try for the offer you mentioned)

edited to mention that I buy very little gas. so the gas rebate probably isn't the best for me.

[This message has been edited by Prncs (edited 04-15-2003).]
Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

VPescado-

also wanted to ask, do you have the delta amex? I read some thread tonight where a lot of ft'ers were denied their bonus miles...and said they were cancelling their accounts...
Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:21 pm

visit www.amexsux.com
Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jerry crump:
visit www.amexsux.com</font>
do you recommend anyone?
Old Apr 16, 2003, 2:42 am

Airline miles are becoming harder and harder to redeem. For that reason I have been accumulating Starwood points that can be used for hotels or air travel. Personally, I feel that you get more bang for the buck by redeeming the Starpoints for hotel stays.

I do have a Delta card; however, I will be cancelling it upon the annual renewal. I was attracted by the double miles promotions, but I have read that a few people have gotten burned on this by not receiving their bonus miles. In addition, it takes months for the bonus miles to post. Starwood makes it much simpler.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 7:24 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Prncs:
I'm not interested in doing the "get the card for the first year and then canceclling it" I plan on keeping whatever card I choose...</font>
Congratulations. Unless you want to spend time opening and closing accounts, this is the way to go.

As mentioned many times, Starwood Amex is the best first card. And since Amex is not accepted everywhere you'll need a Visa/MC as a backup. The easiest option is to get the Visa/MC affiliated with the airline you'll fly most.

Should you pay a fee for the Visa/MC? Just run the numbers: If the fee is $90 and a mile is worth 2 cents, you only need to charge $4,500 a year to breakeven ($90/.02).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.