Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA refused to wear gloves for CPAP device (medical) inspection(Merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2008, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United premier

Mr. FlyingAway and I went through TSA security three times in the past week- once at SFO, twice at IAD this weekend (the latter with a 36 hour delay and 3 failed flights before we finally got home. But that's for the UAL forum).

Mr. FA uses a CPAP machine* and has it in his carry-on bag. It's important: we'd check our laptops or cameras before we'd check his CPAP.

Evidently, new rules require inspections of CPAP machines, along with VCRs, large video games, and other electronics**.

In all three cases the TSA people refused--yes, outright refused--to wear gloves and/or put on fresh gloves when holding the CPAP and then doing the swab test on it. They also put it down on the table as if it were a suitcase, and did not place it on a paper mat or any other protective surface. i.e. They treated this medical device as if it were a pair of shoes. Quite possibly they were just handling a pair of shoes. See below for the details of the 3 encounters.

If the TSA has explicitly declared CPAPs to not be medical in nature and thus not requiring the medical-supplies handling rules, I'd like to see that. Otherwise, shouldn't they change gloves at our request?

Before now, in 95% of our travels, I or Mr FA needed only to say "it's a CPAP machine" when the inspectors were (obviously) starting at it's xray picture within the rollaboard and they'd have no problems. I recall a swab test when we flew late September 01: otherwise they've not handled it.

If you don't have a CPAP machine, imagine they were inspecting your dentures, mouthguard, or sleeping eyemask with the same hands they'd just moved bins and shoes with. Ick.

Kathryn Flying Away

The long story / details of the 3 times:
1. The first time it happened so quickly that the TSA agent was already pulling the CPAP machine out of the bag (he'd said he'd be looking inside) as I said to Mr. FA "He's got your CPAP." Mr FA quickly said "Could you put on fresh gloves...", but the TSA agent went straight to the swab machine. As Mr. FA repacked he said to the guy "a CPAP is a medical device," and that was it.

2. At IAD when the same thing started Mr. FA immediately said "Please put on fresh gloves" to the 1st agent, but agent 1 just handed the machine to a 2nd agent for the swab test. Mr FA repeated his request: agent 1 said nothing to agent 2. I believe Mr. FA also repeated his request directly to agent 2.

As Mr. FA repacked and reshoed I asked a third agent who the supervisor was. He called her over... it was agent 2. I politely told her--as if I didn't know she was the person who ignored Mr. FA already-- that because the CPAP machine is a medical device and we keep it clean we had requested fresh gloves. She gave a non-committal "ok" along with a stare that made me not wish to press the issue. Mr. FA and I left.

3. At IAD the next day Mr. FA asked the TSA agent "to put on fresh gloves: the CPAP is a medical device" the moment that agent told Mr. FA his bag was getting inspected. The agent took off his gloves, but did not put on new ones. Mr. FA repeated his request, but the agent finished the swab test with his bare hands. Maybe this agent didn't understand the first request (why he took the gloves off) but Mr. FA's 2nd request was clear.

As before, I asked a different agent who the supervisor was. I was told the sup would be a few minutes but he could take a message for him. I repeated what I'd said to agent 2 the day before. He said he'd pass the message along. We left.

------------
* a medical device that gives the user additional air pressure when sleeping, which helps with the dangerous condition of sleep apnea. It is basically a weak air blower. It does not contain oxygen. We carry a doctors note: MR. FA needs the CPAP to sleep on the plane (if not, no one nearby could sleep!).

** I'd point out that the CPAP is not a scary metal box filled with electronics like a vcr.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

aka how hard is it to get TSA agents to wear clean gloves?

My initial post was written while unhappy with the TSA, and has the length of an essay. Here's the gist of my post:

How hard is it to get TSA agents to wear clean gloves when inspecting a medical device? We had zero luck in three tries asking.

I'd previously read--here and on the TSA website--that medical items were never even supposed to be touched by TSA agents. If they inspected your medical items then you opened and closed them yourself: they didn't do so.

Does the TSA classify CPAP machines as non-medical? The one sign I saw (at sfo?) listed CPAP machines with VCRs and full game boxes as items that must be inspected. But a need for inspection doesn't mean the CPAP isn't a medical device, and deserving / requiring careful and hygenic handling.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've never been refused when I've asked them to wear clean gloves when inspecting my bags. I don't carry any medical devices. If I did I'd have blown a gasket and demanded a supervisor before I let them touch my belongings without a change.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Hope this is taken as a thoughtful response and not criticism.

If this CPAP device is something that you'd rather others not touch without fresh gloves then you simply need to be intractable on the point and accept the possible consequences, all the way up to missing your flight. If you're unwilling to miss your flight they you'll need to figure out how much time you're willing to spend on waiting for a TSA supervisor, GSD or even LEO to appeal to before caving.

Know what you're willing and not willing to put up with beforehand and decided on game plan next time you fly.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by KathrynFlyingAway
How hard is it to get TSA agents to wear clean gloves when inspecting a medical device? We had zero luck in three tries asking.
I'd also be very frustrated. If I were in your situation and had suffered through several such annoying experiences, I'd try to be as pro-active as possible, e.g. keeping the device in some kind of locked container so that you'll be able to make your request before anybody starts pawing, er, inspecting it.

As essxjay has just posted, it would probably be best to allow some extra time for yourself at the checkpoint.

I hope somebody here can come up with further practical advice for you.

Cheers,
Fredd

Last edited by Fredd; Jan 8, 2008 at 6:48 pm Reason: adding omitted word
Old Jan 8, 2008, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by essxjay
Hope this is taken as a thoughtful response and not criticism.

If this CPAP device is something that you'd rather others not touch without fresh gloves then you simply need to be intractable on the point and accept the possible consequences, all the way up to missing your flight. If you're unwilling to miss your flight they you'll need to figure out how much time you're willing to spend on waiting for a TSA supervisor, GSD or even LEO to appeal to before caving.

Know what you're willing and not willing to put up with beforehand and decided on game plan next time you fly.
No worries- I'm happy for any advice. Between reading FT and my own experiences I do know that stands have to be taken. I'm thinking about Goalie and his shoes, for example. (though if you read my far-too-long version, we couldn't take a stand the first time because the agent took out the device so quickly.)

There are two layers of (what I thought were) TSA guidelines that were stretched/broken here, as I see it.

First, I had thought that pax could always request fresh gloves at any time. One might be ignored or get a hard stare for this, but pax can ask.

Second, separately, and more importantly, I'd thought that medical equipment gets special treatment from the TSA: as much as possible agents aren't supposed to handle medical supplies--people themselves are to open and close bottles, show syringes, etc.

I'd have thought that the very act of saying "That's a medical device" should have made the TSA agent(s) pause. Instead they acted as if--how to put it--recognizing a CPAP machine gave them the right to immediately take it out for the swab test without any consideration for how clean their hands, gloves, and the table by the swab test were.

Can they do that? Certainly. Have actual regulations for medical devices changed? That's what I would like to find out.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathrynFlyingAway
Mr. FlyingAway and I went through TSA security three times in the past week- once at SFO, twice at IAD this weekend (the latter with a 36 hour delay and 3 failed flights before we finally got home. But that's for the UAL forum).

Mr. FA uses a CPAP machine* and has it in his carry-on bag. It's important: we'd check our laptops or cameras before we'd check his CPAP.

Evidently, new rules require inspections of CPAP machines, along with VCRs, large video games, and other electronics**.

In all three cases the TSA people refused--yes, outright refused--to wear gloves and/or put on fresh gloves when holding the CPAP and then doing the swab test on it. They also put it down on the table as if it were a suitcase, and did not place it on a paper mat or any other protective surface. i.e. They treated this medical device as if it were a pair of shoes. Quite possibly they were just handling a pair of shoes. See below for the details of the 3 encounters.

If the TSA has explicitly declared CPAPs to not be medical in nature and thus not requiring the medical-supplies handling rules, I'd like to see that. Otherwise, shouldn't they change gloves at our request?

Before now, in 95% of our travels, I or Mr FA needed only to say "it's a CPAP machine" when the inspectors were (obviously) starting at it's xray picture within the rollaboard and they'd have no problems. I recall a swab test when we flew late September 01: otherwise they've not handled it.

If you don't have a CPAP machine, imagine they were inspecting your dentures, mouthguard, or sleeping eyemask with the same hands they'd just moved bins and shoes with. Ick.

Kathryn Flying Away

The long story / details of the 3 times:
1. The first time it happened so quickly that the TSA agent was already pulling the CPAP machine out of the bag (he'd said he'd be looking inside) as I said to Mr. FA "He's got your CPAP." Mr FA quickly said "Could you put on fresh gloves...", but the TSA agent went straight to the swab machine. As Mr. FA repacked he said to the guy "a CPAP is a medical device," and that was it.

2. At IAD when the same thing started Mr. FA immediately said "Please put on fresh gloves" to the 1st agent, but agent 1 just handed the machine to a 2nd agent for the swab test. Mr FA repeated his request: agent 1 said nothing to agent 2. I believe Mr. FA also repeated his request directly to agent 2.

As Mr. FA repacked and reshoed I asked a third agent who the supervisor was. He called her over... it was agent 2. I politely told her--as if I didn't know she was the person who ignored Mr. FA already-- that because the CPAP machine is a medical device and we keep it clean we had requested fresh gloves. She gave a non-committal "ok" along with a stare that made me not wish to press the issue. Mr. FA and I left.

3. At IAD the next day Mr. FA asked the TSA agent "to put on fresh gloves: the CPAP is a medical device" the moment that agent told Mr. FA his bag was getting inspected. The agent took off his gloves, but did not put on new ones. Mr. FA repeated his request, but the agent finished the swab test with his bare hands. Maybe this agent didn't understand the first request (why he took the gloves off) but Mr. FA's 2nd request was clear.

As before, I asked a different agent who the supervisor was. I was told the sup would be a few minutes but he could take a message for him. I repeated what I'd said to agent 2 the day before. He said he'd pass the message along. We left.

------------
* a medical device that gives the user additional air pressure when sleeping, which helps with the dangerous condition of sleep apnea. It is basically a weak air blower. It does not contain oxygen. We carry a doctors note: MR. FA needs the CPAP to sleep on the plane (if not, no one nearby could sleep!).

** I'd point out that the CPAP is not a scary metal box filled with electronics like a vcr.
Sorry, but this is unacceptable behavior on the part of the TSA. I would have quickly elevated it to the level of calling over a cop. Screeners are supposed to change gloves every time a passenger requests it -- It's not a "please", it's a "I require you to change your gloves." This is enough of a hot button for me that I would have pulled out my cell phone and called 911 and I would have resorted to the Earl Weaver School of Debate which starts with your cap turned around and your face about 3" away from your opponent.

Strong message to follow...
Old Jan 8, 2008, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
... out my cell phone and called 911 ...
no offense, but that's just bad advice IMO (assuming you're serious ... its hard to tell on FT sometimes) that would only cause more [potentialy serious] problems for the caller.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Sorry, but this is unacceptable behavior on the part of the TSA. I would have quickly elevated it to the level of calling over a cop. Screeners are supposed to change gloves every time a passenger requests it -- It's not a "please", it's a "I require you to change your gloves." This is enough of a hot button for me that I would have pulled out my cell phone and called 911 and I would have resorted to the Earl Weaver School of Debate which starts with your cap turned around and your face about 3" away from your opponent.

Strong message to follow...
In retrospect I wish I'd done more. While operating on too little sleep--as often happens as I start a flight--I don't think quickly enough. Now after a full night's sleep I'm much more unhappy with the TSA.

The first time they refused it happened so quickly (and we were so tired) that the net result was just us being puzzled as we walked off.

The second time I asked for and spoke to the supervisor- but as she was the one who did the inspection, well, what good was that?

The third time--I admit that I was far, far more frazzled by the canceled flights and bad UA customer service. I just didn't feel like two fights (UA's multiple mistakes), and I didn't escalate beyond the pseudo-supervisor.

On a practical level we've already thought of what to do for our upcoming flights to protect the CPAP machine.

But I'm interested in the larger issue. One screener ignoring us could be a mistake, or stubbornness. Four screeners sounds like a policy change: one we the passengers haven't been told about.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Changing gloves on request is complete BS and so disgusting its not even funny especially when it comes to medical devices and more importantly for a device that could transmit bacteria/viruses into the lungs. If they are refusing you should be calling for a supervisor or higher.

They should be changing them between inspections of bags, IDs, persons, etc; Screener's not changing gloves does nothing but transmit disease and infection from person to person. This disgusting use of disposable gloves which is probably why i ended up with a bad skin infection after transiting through LAX Term 4 back at the end of september from a some disgusting screener who probably hadnt changed his gloves all day and much worse when they handled my bag.

Those gloves were designed for one time use and to be then thrown away, not to be used as a second skin or for long periods of time (or get prune skin that stinks). I know this because Im a Paramedic and we use gloves as BSI (Body Substance Isolation) to protect from bodily fluids and I only use them on one patient/contact before changing them, sometimes even more if the situation requires it. Then even after that i wash my hands and forearms throughly with hot water, soap and/or anti bacterial gel.

I think it would interesting to do a study of check points by taking screeners gloves, swabbing floors/bins/counters and see what cultures up. I bet it would find everything from fecal coliform to MRSA or VRE (Drug resistant bacteria which can be worse then a STD) and it wouldnt surprise me if drug residue came up as well with the bacteria.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 5:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Scubatooth
Changing gloves on request is complete BS and so disgusting its not even funny especially when it comes to medical devices and more importantly for a device that could transmit bacteria/viruses into the lungs. If they are refusing you should be calling for a supervisor or higher.

They should be changing them between inspections of bags, IDs, persons, etc; Screener's not changing gloves does nothing but transmit disease and infection from person to person. This disgusting use of disposable gloves which is probably why i ended up with a bad skin infection after transiting through LAX Term 4 back at the end of september from a some disgusting screener who probably hadnt changed his gloves all day and much worse when they handled my bag.

Those gloves were designed for one time use and to be then thrown away, not to be used as a second skin or for long periods of time (or get prune skin that stinks). I know this because Im a Paramedic and we use gloves as BSI (Body Substance Isolation) to protect from bodily fluids and I only use them on one patient/contact before changing them, sometimes even more if the situation requires it. Then even after that i wash my hands and forearms throughly with hot water, soap and/or anti bacterial gel.

I think it would interesting to do a study of check points by taking screeners gloves, swabbing floors/bins/counters and see what cultures up. I bet it would find everything from fecal coliform to MRSA or VRE (Drug resistant bacteria which can be worse then a STD) and it wouldnt surprise me if drug residue came up as well with the bacteria.
Bugs at Checkpoints

More bugs at checkpoints

Both these articles are from 2006, but I don't imagine that things have changed. I do not understand why anyone would think that wearing socks or stockings protects one from bacteria, etc. The bugs picked up walking through the checkpoint remain on your feet which you then cover with your shoes and thereby provide a nice warm environment for the bugs to reproduce.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 7:58 am

I'm guessing that the AC pretzel bowl is completely off limits for you guys?
Old Jan 9, 2008, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Folks, please! You have got to start being more aggressive with screeners who refuse to comply with reasonable requests supported by policy. If this was MY medical device, I would have grabbed the device and/or the bag away from the screener and yelled for a supervisor - grabbing the bag or item away from them is the only way to get their attention and it truly drives them absolutely crazy, so be prepared for a fight....

....but if it was MY medical device, and I expected to put any portion of it or its contents in or through my body, rest assured I would maintain total control over where it goes and how it's handled.

Remember your escalation paths at the checkpoint!

1) supervisor
2) duty manager
3) FSD (if on site)
4) your airline's Ground Security Coordinator (GSC)
5) Airport Director's Office (if open)
6) local police if 5) is closed, AND you can trust the local police, which you often can't - so be careful with this one

The GSC can override the TSA and let you fly, while the Airport Director can override the TSA on customer service issues, getting the FSD involved or onsite, if necessary
Old Jan 9, 2008, 8:11 am

Programs: F9 Ascent, UA, AA, AS, ICH PA, Hertz PC.....
Ummm, question

1) You are supposed to have the motor portion of the CPAP out and in it's own bin, similar to a laptop. It's the only part that needs to be hand-inspected, due to the density of the electronics. If you don't, you are just asking for a full bag check. If you leave all the hoses, mask, straps etc in your carryon, there's no need for them to even be touched.

2) They should then only be handling the outside of the motor portion of the CPAP - if the glove issue freaks you out with that, why not get a few disinfectant wipes and clean it yourself before repacking it?

While I hate the inconsistancy of the TSA (and most of their existence) I have never had a problem with my CPAP machine. After the first time I traveled with it and got a bag check 'cause it was inside, I now take it out and "bin" it. Never another bag check... And face it, in use the motor portion sits on a hotel side table - and that ain't the cleanest thing either. Now, if they handled my CPAP mask with the dirty gloves, I'd go ballistic...

RFT
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
Generally having the TSA change gloves for a CPAP is not an issue.

The issue I usually have is they yell if you take it out or they tell if you leave it in the bag. I just tell them they are inconsistent and to do whatever they wish. That usually satisfies them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.