Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Complete, Comprehensive Guide to Volunteering Your Seat and Getting ‘Bumped’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Complete, Comprehensive Guide to Volunteering Your Seat and Getting ‘Bumped’

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2003, 3:07 am
Original Poster

There’s too many questions that appear on a weekly basis regarding the issue of volunteering/getting bumped, so I decided to create an all-in-one solution to refer to. Please feel free to make comments, corrections and/or suggestions .

What does ‘volunteering your seat’ and ‘being bumped’ mean?
NW often oversells its flights (books more passengers then there are seats). If more passengers show up then there is seats, NW will seek ‘volunteers.’ A volunteer is a person with flexible travel plans who is willing to give up his/her seat on a particular flight in exchange for a seat on a later flight plus compensation. If you’ve volunteered and your seat is needed, then you’ve been ‘bumped.’

Background
Like most airlines, NWA uses a series of data -- both historical & forward-looking -- to determine how many seats to sell on each aircraft operating each flight within its entire network. The information utilized is highly complex and takes an array of factors - such as historical no-shows & historical misconnects - into consideration. This data is propriety and highly-sensitive and thus not available to the general public. The end result is that every flight will have a different number of seats available for sale -- in fact, it’s entirely feasible for the same flight under the same conditions (same city pairs, departure time and scheduled equipment) to have a different number of seats available for sale on different days of the week! This whole process is part of NW’s yield management.

Why does NW oversell its flights?
NW oversells flights for a variety of reasons. For example, flights will almost always have no-shows – and many of the no-shows are traveling on expensive, refundable tickets. Thus, NW wants to protect its revenue stream. In addition, the airline may have an opportunity to sell pricy “walk-up” tickets in the day(s) of/before a full flight’s departure. If more persons show up for a flight then there are seats, NW can usually “buy back” one or more seats at a modest price - usually in the form of transportation credit vouchers (TCV) that cost NW very little -- and many are never redeemed!

How can I find out if my flight is oversold?
If you call NWA, they are obligated to tell you whether your flight is oversold or not. They usually won’t, however, tell you by how much (although sometimes a friendly, chatty agent will). ITN.net is excellent resource. Once you’ve entered your flights’ data, take a look at the fare buck results. For domestic flights, the lower the P & Y buckets, the greater the chance of your flight(s) being sold out. For international flights, compare the J & Y buckets. Sometimes, the whole flight will be shown as sold out (in other words, NW is no longer selling seats). In this case, your flight is probably oversold although there is no guarantee.

What factors affect a flight’s oversell situation?
There are numerous factors that affect a flight’s oversell situation including tickets sold, delays, misconnections, flight cancellations, changes in equipment, reaccommodation of passengers from other airlines, etc.

If I volunteer my seat, what type of compensation will I receive?
The gate agent will make the compensation offer clear. For domestic flights, you will likely receive either
- a maximum $300 TCV: Gate agents are suppose to auction TCVs, starting as low as $50 and gradually increasing the offer to a current maximum of $300. However, most gate agents are lazy and will simply offer $300. TCVs can be applied toward any ticket in which each flight carries an NW and/or KL code. They’re treated like cash, although if you apply one toward a refundable ticket, you will not receive cash back (the TCV amount is clearly marked on the ticket). Even though TCVs say they’re non-transferable, one can combine one or more toward one ticket or purchase a ticket with one in somebody else’s name (usually the person whose name the TCV is issued in does not need to be present). Any residual value is issued in the form of an MCO (miscellaneous charge order) coupon. You will earn miles from tickets purchased with TCVs. TCVs may not be used toward the purchase of a WorldClub membership.
- a free roundtrip ticket good anywhere NW flies within the United States, excluding Hawaii: Be warned that availability for the roundtrip ticket comes from the same bucket as availability for award seats, although a Saturday night stay is not required. These tickets do not earn mileage.
and/or
- reaccommodation onto the next available flight: you will generally be reaccommodated onto the next available NW flight – sometimes several hours (and flights) after your scheduled one, sometimes the next day. Should you be asked to overnight, you can usually pick any available flight the next day should you be interested in sightseeing or getting a few extra hours of sleep. Very rarely you will be reaccommodated onto other airlines.
- meal coupons: usually $4 for breakfast, $6 for lunch and $10 for dinner; meal coupons are not always offered but are almost always included with overnight stays.
- hotel accommodations (including transfers) if your ‘bump’ requires an overnight stay: Sometimes you luggage will be held and you will be able to retrieve it should you need it, other times it will be sent to your destination. Do not expect to be able to retrieve your luggage! Should you require a toiletry kit, they’re available free of charge at most airport’s baggage consumer service counters.
- premium cabin upgrades: sometimes offered as a standalone offer (with meal coupons), sometimes offered with a TCV/free ticket (and possibly with meal coupons an/or an overnight stay).
For international flights, it’s the same ordeal except only a TCV of higher dollar amount will usually be offered. And sometimes only a premium cabin upgrade will be offered.

Most persons prefer the TCV over the free ticket, although the latter may often be of more value. Decide which item you want – if the gate agent is only offering one, it doesn’t hurt to ask if the other’s available as well.

Before volunteering your name, make sure the complete terms of the offer are available to you. For example, if you volunteer your seat on a flight departing Los Angeles in the mid-afternoon to Detroit, you may be asked to hang around the airport for up to ten hours for a redeye flight (in this scenario, you’ll undoubtedly receive meal vouchers). If this is unacceptable to you, let the gate agent know before you volunteer in order for him/her to see if other persons would be willing to accept that offer. Do not assume you’ll be receiving anything more than what you’re being told! In the past NW has offered cash, vouchers, and/or reimbursement of things like taxicab fares to downtown areas, restaurant tabs, ‘necessities’ such as drugs / contact lens cleaners / etc. - the days of these perks are gone.

I’m interested in volunteering my seat. How do I do so?
If you are interested in volunteering your seat, you will need to notify the gate agent handing the flight you’re seeking to give up your seat. Sometimes NWA.com check-in and the kiosks at the airport will ask you if you’d like your name added to the list, but then they’ll refer you to the gate agent. A ticketing agent or gate agent handling any other flight but the one you’d like to give up your seat will NOT be able to help you. Since there are various factors (listed above) that affect a flight’s oversell situation, NW will wait until the check-in/boarding process has been completed to determine whether they need volunteers or not. It is not wise to call NW the day(s) before your flight, notify them that ITN.net shows your flight as oversold and ask to volunteer your seat – you may get stuck in traffic traveling to the airport and be a no-show yourself or your flight’s scheduled A320 may morph into a B757, etc. and NW knows this so your request will be denied.

Can I negotiate the offer?
In general, no. If your flight appears to be oversold and you’d rather travel on an earlier or later destination – or another local airport, such as SNA as opposed to LAX – it doesn’t hurt to ask by calling NW before your flight’s scheduled to depart. But don’t expect to receive additional compensation. If NW appears to be struggling to lure volunteers, it may not hurt to suggest alternate travel arrangements then what they’re offering (for example, if you’re headed to LAX, you may ask for a flight to SNA + motor coach fare to LAX in addition to the TCV and/or free ticket). Remember that volunteers require flexible travel plans and should you not meet that criterion, you should not be volunteering to begin with. Also remember that NW’s looking to offer the lowest compensation possible. If NW’s looking for volunteers on a DTW-NRT flight in exchange for a premium cabin upgrade on the same flight the next day and a small voucher, but you can’t overnight, don’t expect to plead to be reaccomodated onto Singapore Airlines that same day – many times, NW would rather involuntary ‘bump.’

What can I do to maximize my chances of being ‘bumped?’
- Book late flights on heavily traveled days, such as Fridays, Sundays and various holidays.
- Notify the gate agent as soon as possible.
- Bring only a carryon.

Which routes can I fly to maximize my chances of being ‘bumped?’
All flights that routinely depart full have an equal chance of being oversold and needing volunteers. While this may not be true with other airlines, it is true of NW.

Best of Luck!
Old Oct 20, 2003, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
IP does it again! Great resource, thanks!

You might want to add a little more detail about int'l flights: average amounts of TCVs, etc. A couple of months ago I was waiting for a flight SEA-AMS and the sign at the gate said "Volunteers needed: $750". I volunteered but ultimately didn't get the bump (instead I got moved from steerage to the last J seat on the DC10 thanks, I assume, to my Plat status).

------------------
-alan in sitges, home of Si-Do
Old Oct 20, 2003, 4:07 am
Original Poster

And thanks again for the nice comments, Alan . I'm not 100% certain as to what the maximum offering is for international travel -- it'd help if others would share their observations, or an NW employee with the knowledge would chime in!

Like you found out, it never hurts to volunteer -- sometimes you'll receive an upgrade or meal certificate for doing so!
Old Oct 20, 2003, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great thread, IP! Thanks for putting it all together.

I've got a couple of quick questions...

When one uses travel vouchers, are they valid only for the fare basis, or are they valid to for taxes/fees too? Say a fare is 200.00 and the taxes/fees are 50.00 - does the person with a 300.00 voucher have to pay the 50.00 and get an MCO (valid for future travel) for 100.00? or does the 300.00 voucher cover the 250.00?

Also, if a bump occurred and someone chose an free ticket over a voucher, since it is essentially award travel, does that mean that the customer would be responsible for paying the taxes and what about booking windows - can it be used as a last minute ticket, or does one have to pay a ticketing fee if used within a certain time frame?

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by bhatnasx (edited 10-20-2003).]
Old Oct 20, 2003, 10:18 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
The voucher can be used for the full price printed on the ticket, including tax. The voucher isn't good for airport departure taxes paid in cash on day of departure- but relatively few airports charge cash fees.

I've heard that international taxes are reduced/waived if a ticket is paid with a voucher, and once with AA I succeeded in ticketing a US-Mexico reservation with only like $20 of a total $60 in tax assessed. Does anyone know the official rule or policy? Agents with NW and other airlines think I'm nuts when I mention it!
Old Oct 20, 2003, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IndustrialPatent-

You did a nice job. This parallels exactly my only volentary bump in the past 5-6 years and it was on NWA. Please note the $5-$10 did not go very far for food and the hotel they put us in did not have a restaurant (some people got take-out), so eat in the airport. Also from exiting the plane until we arrived at the crummy hotel was a 2.5 hour ordeal. Fortunately we had a few drinks at the World Club courtesy of my CAL P-Club card (I invited a few fellow bumpees).

MisterNice
Old Oct 20, 2003, 3:29 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MisterNice:
Also from exiting the plane until we arrived at the crummy hotel was a 2.5 hour ordeal. Fortunately we had a few drinks at the World Club courtesy of my CAL P-Club card (I invited a few fellow bumpees).</font>
Maybe the WorldClub stop contributed to the delay...

I was once bumped along with another 20-something and I companion upgraded her IAH--SJC. I never knew someone could consume so much liquor in just 3 hours!!

Old Oct 20, 2003, 9:45 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Great explanation, IP, thanks. On my last bump I was with someone who did not mind giving me his TCV, but calling reservations I learned that these now need to be used by the person on the voucher. I later asked at the airport and got the same answer. They told me the rules had changed (about a year ago). Is this still the case?
It also helps to have backup plans (on NW) ready when going for a bump. Saves a lot of going back and forth at the gate when one needs to find out alternative routes/dates.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by robbert:
It also helps to have backup plans (on NW) ready when going for a bump. Saves a lot of going back and forth at the gate when one needs to find out alternative routes/dates. </font>
Agreed, completely. Call the airline the day of or the night before to determine availability and whether its oversold or not. A nice gate agent or a nice telephone agent can tell you how many they are oversold by.

If they are oversold, get to the gate early (For both my bumps this weekend, I was there when the previous flight from the same gate left, too early, I agree, but I had a time limit on the rental car), and talk to the gate agent. Other gate agents working other flights can usually help you out if you are patient. The GA usually seem to get to the gate about 1 hour to 45 minutes before boarding. It helps to be courteous (of course we should all be courteous to the GAs) and knowledgable - "I spoke to the res line and they told me that this flight was overbooked, I am willing to volunteer should you need me" is a better approach then nonchalantly asking, I think.

Also as robbert stated above, it's best to have alternate plans available. Call the airline's res line to find out when the next flight is scheduled out and what the connections are, if none are available, try the partner airlines then the competitors for times & routing so you can "make suggestions" if it will help you (i.e. get you home faster).

Look at this thread if you're interested on how they credit miles based on who/what you flew, as I had a small issue of misinformation.

[This message has been edited by bhatnasx (edited 10-20-2003).]
Old Oct 22, 2003, 5:22 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Some other important points:

Any compensation is for EACH ticket holder. If you are a family or group, each person is entitled to receive compensation. If overnight accomodations are required, they have to give each person a hotel room and meal voucher.

For example:

Our family of four volunteered and got bumped on an international flight. We EACH received $700 flight vouchers and we got TWO hotel rooms, one for the adults and one for the children. Technically, we could have asked for four rooms but that would have been a little ridiculous.

Make sure you request a meal voucher for EACH and EVERY meal period you are delayed. They may not offer (or think) about the fact that you are missing more than one meal.

For example:
On the same trip mentioned previously, we got stuck in an intermediate destination because of the airline's delays. They offered us hotel and two meal vouchers (dinner and breakfast). We pointed out to them that we were also missing lunch so they gave us one for that, too.

Always get all the meal vouchers you are entitled to because they can be pooled at the hotel for whatever food & beverages available...room service, bar tab, restaurant, etc.

One last tip:

If you do get moved to a higher class as part of your compensation, you are entitled to all privileges associated with that class of service. We got moved to Continental BusinessFirst. We made sure we asked for President's club passes for that day. They did not volunteer the passes so make sure you ask. The Continential purser took care of making sure we got the FF miles for biz class so that wasn't an issue. But make sure you get everything you deserve!

P.S. If you are delayed involuntarily and it affects your trip by causing loss of a vacation day at your destination, ask them to rebook you on a later flight with no penalties. This shouldn't apply to voluntary situations, unless you feel like testing your relationship with the gate agent.

For example:
We got stuck involuntarily in an intermediate destination which required an overnight stay. We got the airline to rebook us on a later return flight one day later since they had eaten up one of our travel days with their delays.

I also second the baggage recommendation mentioned by a previous poster. Pack a carry-on with a change of clothes, toiletries and any valuables. Only put the rest of your clothing and non-essentials in checked bags. That way you can let the airline send your checked stuff ahead and not have to worry about it. Matter of fact, that's always a good policy since it helps protect you should they lose your luggage.

[This message has been edited by GeorgeBurdell (edited 10-22-2003).]
Old Oct 30, 2003, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Wha happens if you are on a CO-operated NW-marketed flight? It becomes a CO problem, I imagine? Would CO prefer to reaccomodate on their own metal or NW's?
Old Oct 30, 2003, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
Wha happens if you are on a CO-operated NW-marketed flight? It becomes a CO problem, I imagine? Would CO prefer to reaccomodate on their own metal or NW's?</font>
The operating carrier gets the revenue for the flight coupon. CO would prefer to reaccomodate onto their own mental, but would put you elsewhere if they had no choice.

Old Nov 1, 2003, 9:44 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IndustrialPatent:
What can I do to maximize my chances of being ‘bumped?’
- Book late flights on heavily traveled days, such as Fridays, Sundays and various holidays.
- Notify the gate agent as soon as possible.
- Bring only a carryon.
</font>
If you buy a refundable ticket on an overbooked flight (e.g. Thanksgiving) and show up and it's overbooked, can you get the TCV, then now show the following day and get a refund on your original ticket after it's been rebooked (and after you've claimed the bump)?

Or would NWA just refund the ticket price minus the TCV value?

Seems like this might be a nice no-risk way to claim TCV's (i.e. if they don't need the bump, just don't board and get the ticket refunded).
Old Nov 1, 2003, 10:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IndustrialPatent:

You will earn miles from tickets purchased with TCVs.
</font>
Thanks for this informative post!

Are the miles you earn from TCVs elite qualifying miles?

Old Nov 1, 2003, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Yup, TCVs are treated same as cash -- miles are EQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.