Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Redeem Or Cash/Points For Free Night + Taxes/Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Preferred Guest

Hello, I'm considering redeeming starpoints for a free night, or doing the cash/points option. The SPG site says the hotel may charge taxes or fees on top of this. Does anyone have experience where they have had to pay taxes or fees to the hotel after redeeming starpoints for a free room?

I'm specifically looking at the Hotel Feurstenhof or Westin in Leipzig.

Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:37 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by leste13
Hello, I'm considering redeeming starpoints for a free night, or doing the cash/points option. The SPG site says the hotel may charge taxes or fees on top of this. Does anyone have experience where they have had to pay taxes or fees to the hotel after redeeming starpoints for a free room?

I'm specifically looking at the Hotel Feurstenhof or Westin in Leipzig.

Thanks!
The hotel can charge a resort fee if it is a resort and it discloses the existence of it. Other than this, I can't think of any extra taxes or fees that might be added to a Preferred (free) Night Award. After all, any taxes would be assessed on a currency value of the room rental, no? Well, in this instance, 19% VAT X $0 room rate = $0.

Now, that being said, they might get you for 19% VAT on the cash portion of a Cash & Points booking as that is taxable.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 8, 2008, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
cash and points

Very confusing - recently had 2 stays - hotel in Thailand said taxes, service, etc were in addition to cash and points.

Hotel in Singapore said it was NET (when I asked 3 different front desk people)- but charged tax and service on 1 of 3 nights In order to have it corrected I had to give the manager a copy of confirmation saying tax and service was "in the rate" (manager didn't address the issue of how tax could be charged one night but not the next for the same "rate").
Old Jan 8, 2008, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
On my cash and points stays, I've paid the taxes.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 4:56 pm

Programs: HH Gold, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, AM Gold, Avis First
On several c&p stays in European SPG properties I had to pay the taxes, but as Willian says only on the cash portion (thank goodness given some of the rack rates!)
Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:26 pm

I just paid $300 in fees for my last "free" stay in the Caribbean.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Sorry for dig old thread
In free night we must pay tax/service ?
Base on T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ee_nights.html

Free Night Awards are each valid for one free night, single and/or double standard room occupancy at participating properties, and include the cost of your hotel room and room tax/service charge. All other hotel charges are the responsibility of the Member.

and i see this on my booking

Room rate: 5,600 Starpoints 28,000 Starpoints

Room rate excludes the following:
Service Charge: USD 4.25 USD 21.24
10.00 % Per Room / Per Night
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by nongsom
In free night we must pay tax/service?
Tax is 10% of $0. I've seen service charges go both ways - some hotels treat them like resort fees which you have to pay, and some treat them like taxes, which you don't.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Tax is 10% of $0. I've seen service charges go both ways - some hotels treat them like resort fees which you have to pay, and some treat them like taxes, which you don't.
If hotel in paid booking only have charge for tax + service charge and they never have resort fee in this part must be 0 USD ?
and as mention above it show in "10% Service Charge"
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond
When you're "checking out" of purchasing your reservation you should see a breakdown of charges. You can also see it if you see details on a current reservation, and it varies by hotel.

Here's a C&P reservation for Blue Palace in Crete which *does* charge taxes on the cash portion (though not enough to alter a purchasing decision IMO):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6zjvp4gif...2011.44.10.png

So I expect to pay $1080 + ~$75 [+ whatever I spend there, obviously]

Here's another reservation I have for C&P -- this one at St. Regis Mauritius. It specifically says the rate *includes* the 15% VAT (which is nice since that's a much higher tax rate than Greece).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lv1hjzv2iq...2011.47.51.png

So I'll not be happy if they try to charge me VAT as SPG says it's included in the C&P rate.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've never paid any taxes on rooms paid with points, including several award stays in Singapore; in fact, saving large tax and service charges can be a nice benefit that makes me more likely to use points in certain locations.

It's never happened to me, but I could imagine paying a per room per night or per person per night local "tax" in certain locations. For example, a few USA localities impose a dollar or two to support the city's tourist bureau and tourism/conventions advertising. In Tokyo there's also a similar charge of a couple hundred yen per night except for cheap hotels, but I haven't been charged this at the Tokyo Westin when using points.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:13 am

update:
after check-out no additional payment
it's maybe system glitch
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Indeed a good idea to consider tax payments as that is significant in some locations. In Dubai for example there is basically a 20% tax and now a 30 AED a night (8 USD) charge per night. At the Grosvenor House where I was going to stay this added up to roughly $65 a night! I don't know if the 30 AED a night is added to points stays... I think it will be as it is a government fee per room for some reason, not sure why.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.