Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "One-Way Award Questions" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "One-Way Award Questions" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Question Consolidated "One-Way Award Questions" Thread [Merged]

I understand that United will not allow a one-way award. What would happen if I booked a round trip and ignored the return leg?
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nlde
I understand that United will not allow a one-way award. What would happen if I booked a round trip and ignored the return leg?
You would end up in a different city when you were done traveling Otherwise not to much...
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
As posted above, nothing happens. No penalty, no problems.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA
DavidRS4--

Not to question you but are you sure?! It appears my parents might be prepared to book a one way ticket on my behalf and I wouldn't want to embroil them in any unfortunate spat with United (or SAA, the *A carrier).
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Absolutely certain. I've done it before for relatives. Think about it. Why would UA care? You're not trying to get a discount, or avoid paying them money. You're burning all those miles (carried by UA as a liability) for what will be only half the service they have to provide. The no-show return costs them nothing (you've already paid with miles) and they may be able to resell that seat to make double. Win-win.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:47 am
Suspended

Just book a one way.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Absolutely correct. When you just skip a segment UA cancels your ticket. You just can't skip a leg when you have another flight coming up on the same ticket, since it will be void.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As others have said...as long as you book it where the first "half" is the half you do intend on flying...it should be no problem. The back half will just go unused and you will have already flown what you needed to...so basically...it's a done deal.

Interesting though that under the Mileage Plus terms, it has the following under Saver Award travel:

Routings: Awards are for roundtrip travel. One-way travel is not permitted.
But under Standard Awards it states:

All flight awards are valid for roundtrip travel. If you choose to use an award for one-way travel, no residual credit will be issued for unused segments.
So "officially" United doesn't want you using Saver awards for One-Way travel, but on Standard awards they don't mind?

Regardless...I would recommend as a courtesy to your fellow travelers...that once you've completed your outbound flights, that you call United and cancel your return flights. As this might free up some seats that others might be needing.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Marriott Platinum
DavidRS4--

Not to question you but are you sure?! It appears my parents might be prepared to book a one way ticket on my behalf and I wouldn't want to embroil them in any unfortunate spat with United (or SAA, the *A carrier).

I am 100% sure. It is the same thing as if you fly out and then miss your flight back. The airline does not mind you paying for or using miles for a full round trip ticket and then not using the 2nd half. Now if you wanted to skip the first half you would have problems
Old Jan 13, 2007, 6:13 pm

what if you were flyling RTW? and you wanted to upgrade one leg?
Old Jan 13, 2007, 7:04 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by UAL747fan
what if you were flyling RTW? and you wanted to upgrade one leg?
You mean book a "surface" sector and use an award to fill the gap? There seem to be 2 choices: get a genuine 1-way award from another program (QF, BA, BD etc); or book 2 RTWs in opposite directions and use a return UA award.

Suppose the objective is an RTW where possible using upgradeable UA (or LH) metal. In that case to achieve 2 RTWs, one could buy a return ticket between Europe and Asia (or Australia) the longer way around, via the USA on UA (LH), and join up with an award return between the same places in the shorter direction.

Lh has a great fare from Australia to Europe allowing travel on UA via the USA. Great value for 2xRTW if combined with an SQ award Europe-Australia via SIN.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 6:14 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
This may not apply to you, but 1K's CAN book a one-way award, for half of the required miles.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by clublounger
This may not apply to you, but 1K's CAN book a one-way award, for half of the required miles.
Really? I thought this was an unofficial perk that no longer
applies, or if it does, it only works on UA metal. On the off
chance it does f it applies to *Alliance awards, what are
the magic words to say to the 1k desk to secure a one way
from Europe to Oz? Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2007, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1P, NWA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott Silver
I've done the 1 way free ticket before and I called them to let them know that I wouldn't be on the return flight which they appreciated because then they can sell the seat.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
Surprised no-one mentioned this, since awards are good for a year and you only want 1 way, call the day before the return and cancell for business reasons. Tell them you are not sure when you will return. Then the return will still be avail should you want to use it later. beats just throwing it away. Also if, they change the MP rules to allow for 1 way in the future, you will have one in the bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.