Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place, Fremont, CA REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 21, 2007, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, AF Silver

Stayed at this property last night. Had a pretty miserable time despite good first impressions.
The room was pretty nice - bright, comfortable and a good size. Nice 42 inch plasma and HD content (hotels often forget this when installing HD)

The problems were as follows:
- Internet connection was not working. This was a big problem for me as I needed to prepare for a meeting this morning and couldn't get online to run some tests. After an hour of the run-around from different people (the provider & the hotel) I got a hard-wired connection from the back of one of the PC's provided for guests but this was hardly an ideal environment to work (and it was after 10pm by this point)
- Noise from adjacent rooms. The walls in this property are thin. There was noise coming from somewhere (I think it was next door) all night (mostly doors slamming) but at 4am there were people having a loud drunk conversation in the hallway for 30 minutes. A call to the front desk 5 minutes into this didn't seem to have any effect (I didn't hear them actually try to do anything about it). Finally about 4.30 things seemed to quieten down a bit.

When checking out I asked for the manager but no one was available. I left my number so they could call me back but as of now I have not heard from the manager.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by jamesn00
When checking out I asked for the manager but no one was available. I left my number so they could call me back but as of now I have not heard from the manager.
The manager wasn't available when I was at the Hyatt Place Ontario either.

Maybe it is part of the Hyatt Touch at Hyatt Places.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:45 pm

I have still to understand how a hotel can not have a manager or someone in a supervisor position isn't on-call 24/7, and I work in the industry.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

I called back at around 4pm and spoke to the manager. He apologized and offered either some points or a certificate for a free night within the next year. As I don't really collect Hyatt points I asked for a free night.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold
jamesn00,

I stayed at this property about 4 weeks ago and I was not impressed either.

The bad:
- The walls are VERY thin. The couple next door had a FUN time as they cavorted for about an hour before midnight, after midnight, not really sure. Either that or the television was on an adult film.
- The bathroom tub did not seem very clean to the point that I showered in my trust flip flops. It was also sad that the bathroom door rubbed against the toilet bowl when you closed the door behind you.
- I was going to use a plastic cup; however, they were not wrapped in plastic and were simply upside down on the bookcase under the TV.
- The ice bucket did not have the customary plastic bag and was simply dirty with water spots/soap scum.
- The carpet was quite dirty for a recently converted Hyatt Place that was formerly an AmeriSuites according to the desk person.
- The breakfast area was not completed so breakfast (complimentary) was in crowded meeting room with too many tables and not enough room to get between tables without bumping other guests. The food was barely edible as they only had eggs, sausage patties, some cereals, juice and coffee. Some breads and muffins were also available as was yogurt.

I had a good first impression of the hotel as jamesn00 did with the large TV and ample room. However, that was quickly gone while discovering the shortcomings of this property.

I've stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott a few blocks away on a previous visit and was much happier there. The breakfast was better, rooms were cleaner and the atmosphere was friendlier. No noisy neighbors (although you can always hear the doors slamming) and a friendly manager, Martina.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Who ME
jamesn00,

I stayed at this property about 4 weeks ago and I was not impressed either.

The bad:
- The walls are VERY thin. The couple next door had a FUN time as they cavorted for about an hour before midnight, after midnight, not really sure. Either that or the television was on an adult film.
- The bathroom tub did not seem very clean to the point that I showered in my trust flip flops. It was also sad that the bathroom door rubbed against the toilet bowl when you closed the door behind you.
- I was going to use a plastic cup; however, they were not wrapped in plastic and were simply upside down on the bookcase under the TV.
- The ice bucket did not have the customary plastic bag and was simply dirty with water spots/soap scum.
- The carpet was quite dirty for a recently converted Hyatt Place that was formerly an AmeriSuites according to the desk person.
- The breakfast area was not completed so breakfast (complimentary) was in crowded meeting room with too many tables and not enough room to get between tables without bumping other guests. The food was barely edible as they only had eggs, sausage patties, some cereals, juice and coffee. Some breads and muffins were also available as was yogurt.

I had a good first impression of the hotel as jamesn00 did with the large TV and ample room. However, that was quickly gone while discovering the shortcomings of this property.

I've stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott a few blocks away on a previous visit and was much happier there. The breakfast was better, rooms were cleaner and the atmosphere was friendlier. No noisy neighbors (although you can always hear the doors slamming) and a friendly manager, Martina.
Agree on most of the points:
In my room the bathroom door didn't rub against the toilet, but it was close.
The breakfast IMO was ok - although still in a meeting room. As well as the above mentioned items you could make waffles. It was more than acceptable for advertised included "continental breakfast and cereals"
Old Dec 23, 2007, 8:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
I have stayed here as well, the tub was nasty.. there were moldy corners.. it looks like they refinished the old ones. Jamesn00 would you mind posting the managers name or PMing me his name
thanks
Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zxsuxr
I have stayed here as well, the tub was nasty.. there were moldy corners.. it looks like they refinished the old ones. Jamesn00 would you mind posting the managers name or PMing me his name
thanks
Sorry - I just called and asked to speak to the manager - I didn't note his name.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:51 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Ok, I just spent my third night at this place in the last 6 weeks.

I liked the first two stays ok, but I am now not sure if I will be going back!

First off they raised the rates, it used to be a decent deal, now not so much.

I still like the rooms, the TV and WiFi are great....BUT

The construction is out of control!! How could they even think you can have a hotel open when this kind of work is taking place? I could deal with the work that was going on last month, and breakfast in the crappy little "meeting room" but now they have the whole lobby torn up to the point where at times you need to step off tile and walk on concrete and dodge tools and buckets!!!

This morning they had closed off one elevator and had jack hammering going on right in the lobby that was DEAFENING...and I race motorcycles!!

I could hear the noise *clearly* in my third floor room. I really felt bad for the "Gallery Hosts" that had to work like that. This is not a "pardon our dust" affair any longer, this is all out demo and re-construction...I thought I might need a hard hat!!

This place works well for me location wise and keeps my roundtrips to the bay area nice, the bonus points and double stay credit now are cool, but I think I may find another place for this Saturday, especially since they jacked the rates up....oh well. Could not recommend this place to anyone right now!!

Last edited by RS250Racer; Jan 2, 2008 at 9:53 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:09 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Hey all,
I expect Hyatt to have some growing pains as the Hyatt Place brand unfolds.
Hyatt as I understand it is still in the process of training the troops and opening properties as fast as they can. This will be for some time a brand in progress.
They are still trying to figure out how to price it. I have seen doubling of some rates in some select markets.I just stay elsewhere plain and simple when the pricing appears to greedy.......

One should call before arrival and check to see if any special conditions exist.
Be sure you get a name of whom you spoke with.
You are entitled to not pay your credit card bill if they do not deliver as promised. In a perfect world Hyatt would be there to step in and make things right.

What I have suggested in this forum and to Hyatt Consumers Affairs directly is that Hyatt find the time to get a guest assurance guarantee in place or risk losing a lot of customers over time.
In the interim if you do have concerns call the nice folks at Hyatt Consumer Affairs and hope for the best. They need to hear even if they have no policy in place presently to do anything but take notes and tell you to get luckier next time.........
I hope and soon Hyatt gets professional in that regard even if no policy comes down the pike
Cheers

Please also see my recent post "if you had 5 minutes"
Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:40 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I like others enjoyed my room minus the bathroom. They spent so much on this concept and got real cheap on the bathrooms. They are all nasty. Not just in Fremont but Rancho Cordova also. I asked for a room facing away from the freeway. Getting to the Hotel is an act of who know what. The freeway construction makes the location a zoo. Just remember Fremont exit to head north on 880. I came in from Sacramento and it was one turn around after another.

I was shocked Hyatt could open this place with massive amounts of construction still in the lobby. Also. They keep the rear door locked during all hours. So you have to bang on the door to get someone to open it. Only one elevator was operating the other night. I got $69 and that was great but I know rates have gone up. Ask for a room on 7 facing Club Sport.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 9:56 am

I am going to be checking out of here in a few hours...my fifth and last stay...

My experience is going to require a complete new thread...this place is a *nightmare*

Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:32 pm

Hyatt DISGRACE Fremont

Everything I am about to post here is true, not making it up, or embellishing anything!!

I should preface this with saying, that I actually liked this place my first couple stays...and wanted to like it, I was kinda surprised by some of the reviews I had read in the review thread, then my last stay was also not so great with all the construction and noise, but what happened Saturday night, will probably prevent me from ever going back or recommending it to anyone.

I should also say that I am a younger guy and try not to be too critical or judgmental, but when I spend money I expect good value...especially at a Hyatt. My experience with Hyatt started a few years ago with my ex-gf who did a lot of nice business travel, we stayed at a Hyatt in Germany, a week at the Park in Tokyo, Grand in Roppongi, I have been to the Park in Hamburg...so these are the places that made me like Hyatt and formed my experiences/expections with them.

I don't really have to spend the night in Fremont when I go to the bay area for work stuff, I could drive back 3 hours, but I like the location, right near 880 and mission blvd to 680, the wi-fi and big TV are great...I really liked this place....or did like it.

I drove in the parking lot about 10:45 pm and it was full, must be busy I thought, this place usually is only half full. Hyatt has a shuttle van and they park it in the foyer area right outside the front door...nice move as when some very inconsiderate guy pulled up and parked his truck this blocked the entrance, and a line of cars now had to find a way to turn around and drive the other way around to find parking...considerate.

I used the auto kiosk to check in...still a lobby torn up. Security guard is sitting in the little lounge area watching TV...nice.

I notice as I wait for the elevator a somewhat rowdy crowd is in this place tonight...I am thinking company parties by the look of things...ok fine.

When I get off on the second floor there are teenage girls sitting on the floor of the hallway being loud teenage girls...great!

I went back down stairs to get stuff from my car, as I go thru the lobby I realize that there are some interesting people here....one guy walking around the lobby in his socks another guy who if he was not a gang banger sure did a good job impersonating one...

...the security guard is now in the computer room surfing the net.

Back in the room and getting settled in, it is late but I am not tired and will be up for awhile. The room was actually cool as I guess it was a handicap room and was extra large...typical, not dirty, near the elevator.

I need change for a $100 so I go back down to the lobby...as I walk down the hallway I notice little pieces of garbage here and there...once in the elevator there is a half eaten piece of pizza strewn on the floor....classy!!

The "gallery host" was a nice guy, but unable to make change, sheepishly holding up a fist full of crumpled 5 and 10 dollar bills...ok, no prob I will go to Safeway in the morning. I kinda chuckled to myself at this point and said oh well, it could be better, it's not that bad right?

I waited for the elevator and a young couple who were dressed up a bit walked up fresh in from a party, I motioned for them to get on the elevator as the door opened, once inside I could see the lady was pretty drunk, about half way up to the 2nd floor she puts her fist to her mouth and I can see she that she is trying to not hiccup (it seemed)....it was too late, it started to come up...the door opened and I got one leg out...as I crossed the threshold the first major wave of vomit came up and the boyfriend stopped laughing....

The next few hours had *very* loud people going up and down the halls, one party in one room that went on untill 3am (i couldn't sleep anyways) and while I was channel surfing the remote quit while the TV was on the cartoon channel, fitting I thought, the HP Fremont is a cartoon of a Hyatt.

Up very early I noticed that the elevator had not been cleaned, vomit everywhere and two yellow "caution" boards and a plastic grocery bag were over the mess. I took the stairs. Later that morning I heard more kids running up and down the halls, when I left my room to pack the car I noticed all the do not disturb signs were pulled from the doors and tossed on the floor. Cute.

I spent about a year living in the bay area, Mountain View area...I liked it ok I guess, never spent much time in Fremont, but heard it was ghetto...it is.

I don't care about the 2500 points, if stays count double or if it is $79, I am canceling my rez for next weekend and will likely never go back. I understand that many of these problems were by the lowlifes that were there...but it's just too much.

Hyatt is gonna regret all that money they spent on the Plasma's and fancy lobby etc etc, this place will be wrecked in a year...EASY!! I actually feel sorry for the hosts and cleaning staff, but not the management.

I would write a letter and complain to Hyatt but I doubt it would do anything. This has also kind of soured me on Hyatt, I am a Platinum and will re-qual for that easy, but I now see no reason to go for Diamond...I think the only Hyatts I want to stay at will be in Europe and Asia, and my PH Hamburg stay recently was less than excellent.

Sorry if this was kind of rant-ish...had to share, and I don't want any self-respecting FT'er to spend their good money at this place...or possibly any other HP...it's a joke.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ouch!
I guess I was lucky to stay there the night before you, when things were quiet (some construction mess but nothing unusual).

You have to forward your story to Hyatt guest relations, they (re)opened a property where both facilities and staff are not ready.

You should have taken a few pictures to post on tripadvisor and forward to Hyatt corporate.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:01 pm

Wow sounds ghetto.

Just pointing out that it was a Hyatt Place and not a full service Hyatt. I really doubt they would have allowed any of that to happen at a real Hyatt.

Much worse than I have ever experienced.

I stay at a Hyatt Place often and find that the service is not as good as full service Hyatts, but on par with the other similar hotels of it's class (Courtyard Marriott, Four Points Sheraton, Residence Inn). Imagine the problems lower level hotels must have. The Hosts at the hotel I frequent say that a lot of trouble is avoided simply because they only accept payment by credit cards and cash customers are sent across the street to the Hampton Inn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.