Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Stansted / STN AA Lounge & shower Info

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:49 am
Original Poster

London Stansted / STN AA Lounge & shower Info

American starts service between JFK and London Stansted in a little over three weeks time, on October 28th.

Against the popular perception Stansted really isn't that much better than LHR, although the cahos is usually a little more constrained due to the relative size difference of the two airports.

Nevertheless AA have been unable to acquire any space for a Lounge and don't seem too interested in entering a relationship with any existing lounge operator, so for now are not investing in a lounge per se.

Instead they have entered into a partnership with the Weatherspoons bar within the satellite terminal AA are using. Weatherspoons is a large operator of Pubs and Bars around the UK, and have extensive airport as well as High Street operations.

"Eligible" passengers (presumably Business Class, EXP, Plat, and AC members) will be entitled to complimentary drinks and snacks from the Weatherspoons bar before their flight.

I understand this is not yet 100% confirmed, but as there is only three weeks until the first flight I imagine it will be what occurs in the interim. It is kind of the antithesis to the standard American lounge operation of seats and assistance with no service, but at least it is better than nothing at all like you still get in a few international outstations.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 19, 2008 at 10:44 am Reason: thread title icon deleted
Old Oct 3, 2007, 7:21 am

Depending on which drinks , snacks , etc. you can have , it could be preferable to most AA lounges. A few years ago when DL started servive from SCL that is what they did . It was unlimited service of all menu items at at a nice bar / food outlet airside in the airport. Spent 2 hours in there . Had my meal there and got on the plane and went to sleep. I don't think AA will do this in the UK . A person could run up a $150 tab at Weatherspoons fairly easily . I have done it several times in the past . Probably will be a chit for a set amout. Remember we are talking about an airline that thinks $15 is good enough for a meal at an airport hotel restrurant !!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 7:41 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by spanishflea

Instead they have entered into a partnership with the Weatherspoons bar within the satellite terminal AA are using. Weatherspoons is a large operator of Pubs and Bars around the UK, and have extensive airport as well as High Street operations.

Weatherspoons are the equivelent of McDonalds in the pub world, although I think MikeyD's burgers are more tasty and probably better value!

However, I can understand why they wouldn't put in a lounge there as they will only have a few flights leaving from there a day and there aren't to my knowledge, any OW airlines that fly out of there (have never flown out of there, only picked up people from el cheapo flight and then had a 45 min drive to my part of London) that they could share a lounge with. The idea that they use a Serviceair lounge or equivelent is probably the best bet.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 8:31 am

Programs: AA L/T Gold, BA Gold
American starts service between JFK and London Stansted in a little over three weeks time, on October 28th.

Against the popular perception Stansted really isn't that much better than LHR, although the cahos is usually a little more constrained due to the relative size difference of the two airports.

Nevertheless AA have been unable to acquire any space for a Lounge and don't seem too interested in entering a relationship with any existing lounge operator, so for now are not investing in a lounge per se.

"Eligible" passengers (presumably Business Class, EXP, Plat, and AC members) will be entitled to complimentary drinks and snacks from the Weatherspoons bar before their flight.

I understand this is not yet 100% confirmed, but as there is only three weeks until the first flight I imagine it will be what occurs in the interim. It is kind of the antithesis to the standard American lounge operation of seats and assistance with no service, but at least it is better than nothing at all like you still get in a few international outstations.
Someone mentioned in a thread (cant find it now) a week or so ago that AA might make this a 757, therefore I guess the need for a lounge is even less. Perhaps this actually confirms that they will put a 757 on this route. I was going to burn a VIP on this route, but once the chat started about the aircraft being downgraded then there was no wAAy I would waste a VIP just to sit in F on a 757.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 8:35 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by jimmyw9
.... but once the chat started about the aircraft being downgraded then there was no wAAy I would waste a VIP just to sit in F on a 757.
If the flight is down-gauged to a 757 it will be one class service (all coach).

Tiers can get seats in the forward cabin because of status.

However, I would think that a eVIP would be rejected by the computer as there is no 'one cabin upgrade' available on a 757 transpond.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by JGR01
If the flight is down-gauged to a 757 it will be one class service (all coach).

Tiers can get seats in the forward cabin because of status.

However, I would think that a eVIP would be rejected by the computer as there is no 'one cabin upgrade' available on a 757 transpond.
ok..........but I would not want to sit in a 757 F seat for 7+ hours anyway across the pond............as bad as people here make out LHR to be (although my experiences are fine) I would rather be in J on a 777 from there.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
In addition, American will begin its new route between New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and London’s Stansted Airport effective Oct. 28, 2007. American also said it will begin a second roundtrip between JFK and Stansted in the spring of 2008. With express train service, Stansted is convenient to London’s growing financial and business districts.

American plans to switch one of its two daily DFW roundtrips to London Heathrow, while the other DFW roundtrip will retain its current service to London Gatwick. American’s one daily Raleigh/Durham-to-London flight will also switch to Heathrow from Gatwick. The airline’s DFW-to-London service to both Heathrow and Gatwick will continue to be flown with three-class (First, Business and Economy/Coach) Boeing 777 aircraft with 245 seats. American’s Raleigh/Durham service will also continue to be flown with Boeing 777 aircraft. American’s JFK-Stansted service will be flown with two-class (Business and Economy/Coach) Boeing 767-300 aircraft with 221 seats, including 30 Next Generation Business Class seats.

https://www.aa.com/content/amrcorp/p...ondonsvc.jhtml

I believe they are trying to take some MAXJet business away, so it would not make any sense to downgrade this route to a 757.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
ok..........but I would not want to sit in a 757 F seat for 7+ hours anyway across the pond............as bad as people here make out LHR to be (although my experiences are fine) I would rather be in J on a 777 from there.
Interestingly, the banner advert on AA's UK website today is advertsing STN-JFK Business Class flights for £1193. Now if that was changed to a 757 before the departure date I would be very seriously unhappy!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Seeing as how they have taken services away from LHR and moved them to STN, rather than creating new STN routes, I see no way whatsoever this route will ever be anything smaller than a 767.

Irrespective of that argument, the 757 F seats are always a pleasant way to head East from the UK during the day and then return on a 767 in J with an eVIP. No longer possible after this month though
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:20 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Someone mentioned in a thread (cant find it now) a week or so ago that AA might make this a 757, therefore I guess the need for a lounge is even less. Perhaps this actually confirms that they will put a 757 on this route. I was going to burn a VIP on this route, but once the chat started about the aircraft being downgraded then there was no wAAy I would waste a VIP just to sit in F on a 757.
Pure fantasy. 100% made up BS.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:24 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seeing as how they have taken services away from LHR and moved them to STN, rather than creating new STN routes, I see no way whatsoever this route will ever be anything smaller than a 767.
Total BS. Name one route has been taken from LHR and transfered to STN?

JFK-LHR is dropping from 6 to 5 to accomodate the moving of flights from DFW and RDU to LHR.

The JFK - STN flights starting in October with a second in April are new service.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by andrzej
In addition, American will begin its new route between New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and London’s Stansted Airport effective Oct. 28, 2007. American also said it will begin a second roundtrip between JFK and Stansted in the spring of 2008. With express train service, Stansted is convenient to London’s growing financial and business districts.

American plans to switch one of its two daily DFW roundtrips to London Heathrow, while the other DFW roundtrip will retain its current service to London Gatwick. American’s one daily Raleigh/Durham-to-London flight will also switch to Heathrow from Gatwick. The airline’s DFW-to-London service to both Heathrow and Gatwick will continue to be flown with three-class (First, Business and Economy/Coach) Boeing 777 aircraft with 245 seats. American’s Raleigh/Durham service will also continue to be flown with Boeing 777 aircraft. American’s JFK-Stansted service will be flown with two-class (Business and Economy/Coach) Boeing 767-300 aircraft with 221 seats, including 30 Next Generation Business Class seats.

https://www.aa.com/content/amrcorp/p...ondonsvc.jhtml

I believe they are trying to take some MAXJet business away, so it would not make any sense to downgrade this route to a 757.
Yes I have read that too and I understand the reasons for AA going into STN but the poster in that thread claimed to have inside AA knowledge......wish I could find that dam thread now.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNL
Total BS. Name one route has been taken from LHR and transfered to STN?

JFK-LHR is dropping from 6 to 5 to accomodate the moving of flights from DFW and RDU to LHR.

The JFK - STN flights starting in October with a second in April are new service.
Err JFK, as you said?

My point was that a JFK frequency is being moved from LHR to STN. 1 JFK-LHR 777 isn't going to turn into a JFK-STN 757 under any circumstance, it is going to be a 767.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:54 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Err JFK, as you said?

My point was that a JFK frequency is being moved from LHR to STN. 1 777 isn't going to turn into a 757 under any circumstance, it is going to be a 767.

JFK - LHR flight is not moveing to STN.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNL
JFK - LHR flight is not moveing to STN.
Not all of them no, but essentially one frequency is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.