Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YUL ground transportation

Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, SWA, AA, NWA, EVA

I may need to get to Pierrefonds to YUL in a couple of weeks. What are my options. I've looked at L’Aérobus and it seems like a possibility. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
I've used Montreal Limos in the past from Beaconsfield ( http://www.montreallimousine.ca/airport.html ). If memory serves, it was CAD$60 including tip.

A taxi would likely be the cheapest private route.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:29 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Taxi

Pierrefonds to YUL (or vice versa) is a short hop, that should not hit any traffic, as they are both west of the downtown core. Taxi is the best alternative for quick, point-to-point transport.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:33 am

Programs: AP, AM, HH, HG, MR
L'aerobus will not work as it only accesses the downtown core.
Public transit options are very limited. Your best option would be to cab it.
Expect charges in the $30-$40 range depending on where in Pierrefond you are going.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 8:38 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by coxta
I may need to get to Pierrefonds to YUL in a couple of weeks. What are my options. I've looked at L’Aérobus and it seems like a possibility. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Wont be more than a 20-25$ cab ride depending on where you are going.
If you need to go and come back just rent a car.

If budget is a problem try using the the public transporation route planner at http://www2.stm.info/azimuts/carte.wcs?eff=OD&lng=a

Looks like over an hour by bus.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Well, it seems overwhelmingly private transportation. Taxi or limo sounds good and the price is right.

As many times as I've been to Montreal, I don't have a feel for how the city is laid out. Because it's on an island, it's situated along natural geography and when I talk directions using compass directions, it doesn't seem to translate very well That leaves me to maps and

After some review, I wasn't looking forward to the trip to Berri Metro station, so if my other modes of transportation fall through, then a cab it is.

Thanks all.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:13 am

Programs: AC SE
Well, it seems overwhelmingly private transportation. Taxi or limo sounds good and the price is right.

As many times as I've been to Montreal, I don't have a feel for how the city is laid out. Because it's on an island, it's situated along natural geography and when I talk directions using compass directions, it doesn't seem to translate very well That leaves me to maps and

After some review, I wasn't looking forward to the trip to Berri Metro station, so if my other modes of transportation fall through, then a cab it is.

Thanks all.

One reason you may find it hard to navigate with a compass is that the island is actually tilted 45 degrees. So even though we say Sherbrooke street runs East - West it actually does not. Same for North - South streets. They dont actually run North - South.

Berri Metro would be 22KM away from the Airport (in the wrong direction). Not a good plan.

To get an idea of the city go to google maps. Zoom in and move around.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:48 am
Original Poster

About the city laid out on the diagonal. That's exactly what I mean. Compass directions get too complicated and arbitrary.

In Montreal, there are so many neighborhoods and some of them have multiple names and some have been renamed, plus the French language is not something I'm particularly facile with it all just adds up to my confusion. I use Goggle maps and I can find my away around, but for instance, I was looking for St-Jean's, and in English it was translated to St-John's, and I ended up in the South Island by McGill when I wanted to go to the West Island.

I'm pretty good with maps and directions. I went to Bangkok and used a map to expertly navigate that fouled up city full of horrendous traffic, duplicate names and one-way streets. However, for some reason, Montreal seems to present a unique problem for me.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:09 am

Programs: SPG-Platinum, HH-Gold, NW-Platinum, AA Platinum
I was just in montreal over the weekend and rented a car for $25-just be sure to bring a portable GPS and you will be alright
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Yeah, an automobile might be a reasonable choice too. I don't need one the first few days, but really only the day of return travel since I will have a car there. Anyway, this is all just planning for a problem getting to the airport, not from YUL or anytime during my stay.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
In Montreal, there are so many neighborhoods and some of them have multiple names and some have been renamed, plus the French language is not something I'm particularly facile with it all just adds up to my confusion. I use Goggle maps and I can find my away around, but for instance, I was looking for St-Jean's, and in English it was translated to St-John's, and I ended up in the South Island by McGill when I wanted to go to the West Island.
Where in Pierrefonds are you heading to? I live on the West Island, the next city South (sic) of Pierrefonds and I usually pay $ 25-28 for Taxi depending on the traffic. If the 20 is jammed solid, I always advise the driver to take Cardinal up to Sources Rd and then other streets to get to my house which is west of Sources
If you are heading towards St John's Boulevard ( boulevard St jean) in Pierrefonds, then you can take 20 West and exit at St john's North where you will cross over HWY 40 to get to that part of Pierrefonds.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

I will be somewhere on Gouin, somewhere between Sources and St-Jean. I know how to get to the airport on surface streets, at least theoretically. So it sounds like a taxi is a good choice, if needed.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:43 pm

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the SQ forum, since SQ doesn't fly to YUL?
Old Sep 29, 2007, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
I will be somewhere on Gouin, somewhere between Sources and St-Jean. I know how to get to the airport on surface streets, at least theoretically. So it sounds like a taxi is a good choice, if needed.
Should you decide to drive you may take one of these two options ( I use a nursery as my starting point on Gouin between St Jean and Sources):

1st option

otherwise go towards Sources and follow this (which I use to beat traffic on HWY 20) option

A week like this week would have been bad because all the roads are a mess because of the President's Cup
Old Sep 30, 2007, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

What is the status of the highway work around YUL? AC still lists it on it's website as a warning, but I understand it was to be finished last Friday?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.