DONEx Question: Aussie transcon policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM, SkyTeam Gold, *A Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, mother's favorite son

Hi guys,

I'm being told different confusing things about how DRW fits into the one-transcontinental-flight-in-Oz limit on a DONE4.

The Oneworld website says: "Within Australia only one flight is permitted... between Darwin or Brisbane and Melbourne or Sydney" (that's too many "ands" and "ors" for me to decipher, for a start ) but elsewhere, I've seen the condition refer only to flights to or from PER, not DRW.

Sooo... can I fly SYD-DRW-SYD or not?

Another furphy that keeps cropping up is the rumour that you can't pass through your continental point of arrival more than once. That can't be true! Again, the Oneworld site says: "You may travel around as you wish within a continent (there are no backtracking limitations as long as you do not go back to the origin point)..." Surely this only applies to the continent of origin, not subsequent continents...?

[P.S. Does anyone have a copy of the actual detailed fare rules? The links I've found so far have all been bad...]
Old Aug 8, 2007, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Certainly more than one DRW-MEL/SYD segment is out.
  • Within Australia - only one nonstop/single plane service flight is permitted between the following points:
    BNE/CNS/SYD/MEL - PER
    MEL/SYD – DRW
    MEL/SYD - BME
    EXCEPTION:
    1. No restriction between SYD/MEL - PER for passengers originating in PER
      when in conjunction with travel to/from JNB/BOM/SHA/PEK.
    2. No restriction between SYD/MEL – PER for passengers originating in New
      Zealand when in conjunction with travel to/from JNB.
For more information, look here: oneworld Explorer for xONEx information,

Here: oneworld Explorer rule sheet for the rules and

and here: Fare Estimate for xONEx fares from different countries.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 6:21 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by Zeffer
"You may travel around as you wish within a continent (there are no backtracking limitations as long as you do not go back to the origin point)..." Surely this only applies to the continent of origin, not subsequent continents...?
In the sentence fragment "as long as you do not go back to the origin point", I would read "the origin point" as "the itinerary's origin point" rather than "the continent's origin point".

But yes, the whole thing is poorly written.

In fact I would read "between Darwin or Brisbane and Melbourne or Sydney" as "DRW/BNE - MEL/SYD", which is actually wrong since you are not restricted to only one BNE - SYD flight.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM, SkyTeam Gold, *A Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, mother's favorite son
Thanks heaps guys!

Serfty, you're a legend for providing the actual pdf of the rules... and Alan in CBR, thanks for clarifying an impenetrable piece of gobbledegook. We're in agreement about the awful wording on the transcon rule, given that there are no restrictions on BNE-MEL/SYD.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Moreover, the bit about not going back through the origin is also rubbish - that restriction was removed from the rules at least a year ago.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 7:50 am
Original Poster

christep, do you mean that the bit about not going through the point of origin within each continent is rubbish? ...or that we're allowed to pass through our city of departure? i thought the former was true but not the latter
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
christep, do you mean that the bit about not going through the point of origin within each continent is rubbish? ...or that we're allowed to pass through our city of departure? i thought the former was true but not the latter
The latter is also true, it is only QF that has lately decided, for whatever reason of their own, to reinstate a restriction that was explicitly removed form the rules about a year ago.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Sweet, thanks guys.

Sorry... I'm still confused about one last point. The rule is written ambiguously. Can I fly SYD-PER-DRW-SYD?

In other words, are we allowed one flight between BNE/CNS/SYD/MEL-PER and one flight between MEL/SYD–DRW, or are we only permitted to select one flight from ANY of those routes?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
...Can I fly SYD-PER-DRW-SYD?...
Yes.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... Can I fly SYD-PER-DRW-SYD? ...
With a DONEx, be very careful when booking this route or v.v. - At the moment, there are two QF flights each way between PER and DRW; only the direct ones have J.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 6:25 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
Can I fly SYD-PER-DRW-SYD?

In other words, are we allowed one flight between BNE/CNS/SYD/MEL-PER and one flight between MEL/SYD–DRW, or are we only permitted to select one flight from ANY of those routes?
Well now I'm confused. I would have thought that SYD-PER-DRW-SYD was not allowed, but two posters have said that it is.

I've never tried it, so I'll assume the other two are right.

Anyone actually done it?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 6:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I do not think SYD-PER-DRW-SYD is allowed. It has 2 flights on the limit 1 transcon list.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I do not think SYD-PER-DRW-SYD is allowed. It has 2 flights on the limit 1 transcon list.
Agreed. SYD-PER, PER-DRW,DRW-SYD includes two transcons when only one is allowed.

84N . 9. WITHIN AUSTRALIA -.
85N . ONLY 1 NONSTOP OR SINGLE PLANE FLIGHT PERMITTED
86N . BETWEEN THE FOLLOWING
87N . CITIES:
88N . .
89N . * BNE/CNS/SYD/MEL AND PER /SEE EXCEPTIONS
90N . BELOW/
91N . * MEL/SYD AND DRW
92N . * MEL/SYD AND BME
93N . ---------------------------------------------
94N . -----
95N . -----
96N .
97N . EXCEPTION
98N . EXCEPTION 1:
99N . NO RESTRICTION BETWEEN SYD/MEL-PER FOR
100N . PASSENGERS
101N . ORIGINATING IN PER WHEN IN CONJUNCTION WITH
102N . TRAVEL
103N . TO/FROM JNB/BOM/SHA/PEK.
104N . EXCEPTION 2:
105N . NO RESTRICTION BETWEEN SYD/MEL-PER FOR
106N . PASSENGERS
107N . ORIGINATING NEW ZEALAND WHEN IN CONJUNCTION
108N . WITH
109N . TRAVEL TO/FROM JNB.
110N . .
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:00 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Agreed. SYD-PER, PER-DRW,DRW-SYD includes two transcons when only one is allowed.
The way around this can be SYD-ADL-PER-DRW-SYD or SYD-PER-DRW-CNS-SYD and other variations.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 6:37 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
The way around this can be SYD-ADL-PER-DRW-SYD or SYD-PER-DRW-CNS-SYD and other variations.
Another option is SYD-PER-DRW-BNE-SYD;

DRW-BNE is a daily afternoon flight so a more civilized time of day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.