Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Customs experience at STR during MR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2007, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More Senator, CX Marco Polo Club, SQ Krisflyer

Folks,

Just thought I'd tell you about really unsettling arrival at Stuttgart whilst doing MR over the weekend. Did a J class BRU-ZRH-STR with 7 hour transit in ZRH during which I also managed to fit in ZRH-FRA-ZRH and get very funny looks from the maitre de cabine whose aircraft/crew also operated my ZRH-STR sector.

Customs at STR pulled me aside and went thru EVERYTHING checking hand luggage, wallet and performed that drugs test where they scrape the palms of your hands. The guy was determined to find something and said 'I'm going to give you one last chance, are you carying any drugs?' He saw all my boarding passes which probably raised an alarm bell. Obviously he let me go but all the while I was dreading him finding something that either got there by mistake or carelessness. If any of you take drugs recreationally just don't do it before a MR...

This is the second time this has happened at STR in 2 years...kind of makes me twice about using it for future MRs.

Last edited by fratboy; Aug 6, 2007 at 3:04 pm
Old Aug 6, 2007, 2:43 pm

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
Originally Posted by fratboy
Folks,

This is the second time this has happened at STR in 2 years...kind of makes me twice about using it for future MRs.
I'm flying out of STR every week, never had a problem. Sometimes they ask where I come from, but that's it. Maybe you should work on your hair-cut
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:05 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Since this info is useful for fellow FT members planning MRs, we moved the thread to the MR discussion forum and linked it to the turnaround thread.

Oliver2002 & Kiwi Flyer
Moderators M&M Forum
Old Aug 11, 2007, 4:45 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
In STR, customs seem to be very keen on ZRH arrivals regularly.

Had a bad experience many years ago arriving from HKG/BKK via ZRH. Every pax with luggage (not many as most people were one-day business travellers) were checked in green channel where my shopping tour of two photo cameras in HKG ended up in a hefty duty bill and a forced donation to a local social institution

Lessons learned, forget about cheap purchases overseas no matter how much travel mags/guides praise it. The green dragons will be waiting for you near the baggge claim and get you if your are above the 175,-- € threshold for importing non-EU purchases that makes your bargain shopping tour look like a trip to Tiffany's...don't worry, the dragons in STR have an X-ray view...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.