Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

anyone acutally been caught by airline selling/bartering/trading an award?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2002, 1:29 am
Original Poster

with the other thread's reference to someone selling a million mile on Ebay. has anyone ever got caught by airlines for selling/trading miles, and penalized for it? if so, what kind of warning/penalty?
Old Oct 17, 2002, 1:55 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I did really gift a SWU two years ago to a (L.A. based) FlyerTalker, who was and still is a 1K today. (Gift was made as aprize he won on one of my FlyerTalk contests on this board).

After having used successfully this SWU (with my name on the voucher) on his flight, about a week later they (temporarily) closed his ac**** (without prenotice to him).

Only after very strong words from him (he spends over $100'000/year on tickets), supported by written evidence that this was really a gift (and not bartered for by any means) UA apologized and compensated him for the trouble he had with ssomething (I don't remember how).

Since then, I accompany most of my gifts with a written short statement about the gift-facts - just in case.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 1:56 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I can't believe that a.c.c.o.u.n.t is being censored here
Old Oct 17, 2002, 2:11 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
delete

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 15, 2007 at 6:15 pm
Old Oct 17, 2002, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
I can't believe that a.c.c.o.u.n.t is being censored here </font>
I think you missed an "O" in your spelling
Old Oct 17, 2002, 4:12 am

I personally don't know anyone who has been caught. In fact I know someone who claims that that in the last dozen years or so they have sold a total of approximately 3 million miles worth of FF awards on virtually every US airline in existance (and some that are now but a memory) without a single hitch. They say the single most important key to their success is that they NEVER EVER use a middle man, i.e. a mileage broker, but rather do each transaction personally themselves. They also coach the buying party on what to say in the unlikely event that they should be asked questions by the airport ticketing rep, i.e. it isn't good to say something like, "Yes, I bought this SWA Rapid Rewards ticket from some dude on ebay!" It's all common sense.

An interesting sidenote: this person says that they estimate that they have actually turned a small profit from their FF award sales, i.e. they have recouped every single dollar that they have spent on air travel thru the years PLUS a little extra.

[This message has been edited by yanxfann (edited 10-17-2002).]
Old Oct 17, 2002, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I think that in fairness to all airlines, everyone who has ever traded or sold an award should list his/her name, FF account #, address and phone number here.

I am clean as the driven snow. My wife takes all of my miles.

[This message has been edited by mikey1003 (edited 10-17-2002).]
Old Oct 17, 2002, 6:49 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikey1003:

I am clean as the driven snow. My wife takes all of my miles.
</font>

Wouldn't that be considered "bartering?"
Old Oct 17, 2002, 7:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Wouldn't that be considered "bartering?" </font>
community property in california

Old Oct 17, 2002, 8:11 am

I flew on a "gifted" reward btv-sfo last weekend. When I checked in at SFO they wanted to know the name, and home address of the gentleman that booked my ticket! I found this a bit odd.....considering they were from SF and I was there....
Old Oct 17, 2002, 8:27 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by drtravels:

Wouldn't that be considered "bartering?"
</font>
I'll remember to call it "bartering" next time
Old Oct 17, 2002, 9:54 am
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikey1003:
I think that in fairness to all airlines, everyone who has ever traded or sold an award should list his/her name, FF account #, address and phone number here.
</font>
That's right - those airlines are a bastion of "playing fair and by the rules". Remember, they don't have to play by the rules - they can close an account for any reason, say, you get in an argument with a customer service rep - DONE!

Gimme a break - there are several airlines that I will never, ever fly again and if I do, it will be to save money, not for the measly miles. I won't fly USAir for the miles, but I recently scored a last-minute $150 RT on a long-haul flight. If they shut my account - whoop-de-do.

Thanks for the tips on this board - I will now include a note saying that it was a gift when I "gift" someone an award.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 11:12 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tino:
Thanks for the tips on this board - I will now include a note saying that it was a gift when I "gift" someone an award.</font>
All it takes is a greeting card:
Happy Birthday/ Anniversary/ Merry Christmas
Love, Tino!

------------------
Play the travel game 3 vacations into the future!
Old Oct 17, 2002, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In addition to a birthday/anniversary/Happy Groundhog Day card, I'm going to start giving out sworn and sealed, notarized, thumbprinted, witnessed, registered, on attorney's letterhead, statements of true gifts to my recipient.

Along with a DNA sample.

(In the interests of family values, I will not publish here just what that DNA sample will be)
Old Oct 17, 2002, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
About 8 years ago, I sold a frequent flyer ticket. A coworker needed to go transcon at the last minute - couldn't find a flight under $1000 - so I sold him a 25K award for $500. We seemed to agree at the time that two cents per mile was fair for both of us. (This was back in the day when you could call up the day before, find availability, and actually book it for 25K the day before the flight.)

About a year later I learned that the practice was heavily frowned upon by the airlines and could have cost me my entire FF balance with them had I been caught. I probably wouldn't have done it had I known that - I had over 100,000 miles in the account. (Fortunately, nothing happened.)

FWIW, the airline on which I did this no longer exists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.