Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Enroll in the Citibank® / AAdvantage® Debit card — and get 10,000 AA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Just saw this. Basically, $25 got you 10000 miles if you don't have a citi/advantage debit card yet!

Enroll in the Citibank® / AAdvantage® Debit card by September 30th — and get 10,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles.

How it works

* To enroll, you need a checking account and an American Airlines AAdvantage® program account. If you don't have an account with AAdvantage®, we can set it up for you. If you have one but forgot the number, call 1-800-882-8880.
* There are two plans to choose from: Basic or Premium.

Basic Premium

* Get 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles when you enroll1
* Earn one AAdvantage® mile for every $2 spent, up to 60,000 miles per calendar year2
* $25 annual fee3

* Get 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles when you enroll1
* Earn one AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent, up to 100,000 miles per calendar year2
* $65 annual fee3

* To earn AAdvantage® miles, you must select Credit when presenting your card or card number for payment2.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Not a fan of debit cards but for 10K miles, I could be persuaded to get one. Do you have a link?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.3MM, WN A+/CP, HH DIA, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
Link to offer:

https://web.da-us.citibank.com/cgi-b...ookie=yes&sc=1

$25 for 10k miles seems like a good enough reason to upgrade my Citibank debit card that I never use...
Old Jul 16, 2007, 7:59 pm
Suspended

enrolled for the cAArd. thAAnk you.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:06 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Gold, United 1K
anyone else getting this message?:

We're sorry, but we can't enroll you in ThankYouSM Network online.

To do so, you'll need to call 1-800-374-9700 with code TY007 and we will be glad to help you.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:08 pm
44C

Programs: AA EXP (OW EME), Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for this. Just signed up.
mkumar23 scroll down a bit on the page. The ThankYouSM Network is another offer.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:23 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Gold, United 1K
maybe i'm doing something else wrong, but i keep clicking on the link for the citibank/aadvantage debit card, and it gives me the thank you network error. i get it whether i directly click on the above posted link, navigate their directly off the front citi page or through my account-->account services-->upgrade debit card.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Question for all of you: I have several Citi credit cards, but no deposit accounts. So to manage my cards, I go to www.citicards.com.

I just signed up for a Citibank checking account, and it looks like I might be able to link my Citi credit cards in order to avoid monthly fees. However, it's a different login address (http://www.citibankonline.com).

How does it work for those of you who have both? Do you continue to use citicards.com to keep an eye on, and pay, your credit cards, and citibankonline.com for the other stuff? Or when you link them does everything get switched over to citibankonline?

If the latter is the case, is the interface the same? Can you still make payments with the stored bank info from those card accounts? Or does everything have to be paid with the Citibank checking account?

Sorry for the string of questions. I would like to get everything linked together, but I'm hesitant to change it if doing so will screw up the way I have things set up for my credit cards.

Last edited by ESpen36; Jul 16, 2007 at 9:21 pm
Old Jul 16, 2007, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Thanks....just got it with no problems!
Old Jul 16, 2007, 9:31 pm

Also signed up. Took less than a minute. ^
Old Jul 16, 2007, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
I might be able to link my Citi credit cards in order to avoid monthly fees.
I have both and never bothered to link them. If you want to avoid monthly fees, sign up for direct deposit and the monthly fees will be waived.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
Great find OP. Does anyone know if you can do this for multiple Citi checking accounts to the same AA account? If so, this is great.

You can earn 10,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles by enrollment of a Citibank® / AAdvantage® Debit card during this promotional period. Limit one offer per account.
According to the terms, I interpret this as one bonus per Citi account, not per AA account.

Last edited by edlin303; Jul 16, 2007 at 9:55 pm Reason: Added terms of deal
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
FYI, Citi ran a similar deal last year, except only 5k miles:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ght=citi+debit
I can't remember why I didn't do it last time, but glad I didn't. ^

Apparently there were similar ThankYou Network error messages then too for new accounts. Also last time took about 4 months to post. I believe once you convert the card, you don't receive the TY Network points any more which could be a consideration for some people (with Citigold, 1200 pts/month x 4 months = $48+).
Old Jul 17, 2007, 2:17 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Nice - very nice! I previously had the Citi Card then switched to Thank You for a promo and now am back on AA from the promo!
Old Jul 17, 2007, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Well... I had no Citi Banking Connection before, so I just opened up one online.

As far as I understand it, they issue a regular Banking Card and as soon as I have this one I have to log-in to transfer to the AAdvantage Card

This is quiet a waste of plastic & paper or do I miss something ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.