Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-LHR diversion on AA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2007, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
LAX-LHR diversion on AA

AA 136 diverted to JFK this AM. Is breaking news on CNN at the moment.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...134Z/KLAX/KJFK

Apparently an FA saw a passenger on an employee only bus who was not wearing an ID tag. Passenger gets onto AA flight from LAX-LHR. FA notifies pilot. Pilot comes up with "we need to land in NY for more fuel"

Passenger of a middle eastern background is detained (i.e. the one on the AA employee bus). Now reports are coming out that the individual is an employee taking flight in a private capacity.

Chertoff is on TV at the moment praising the flight crew...

Last edited by SDF_Traveler; Jul 12, 2007 at 4:43 am Reason: correct flight #
Old Jul 12, 2007, 5:07 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Exclamation LAX - LHR on Ground in JFK after Security Alert

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...32910420070712

Problems with a staff member who may have boarded on the crew bus for a private flight
Old Jul 12, 2007, 5:22 am
Suspended

A news report I heard on the way in to work this a.m. had AA as saying it was a "misunderstanding" and yes, the person in question is an employee of AA.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 5:51 am

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
Who cares? He was screened like everyone else and had no weapons. Why would they divert if he was not a threat??

Employees use company parking for personal trips all the time.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 6:05 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Now they're saying on CNN he's an AA EXP, and just saw a loophole while he was checking in.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 6:07 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Chertoff is on TV at the moment praising the flight crew...
This incident or rather non-incident is just what Comrade Chertoff needed after his "gut feeling" announcement yesterday. It is almost like a scripted play. Unbelieveable!!!
Old Jul 12, 2007, 6:39 am

Programs: United 1k 1 MM
According to Russ Knocke, with the Department of Homeland Security, American Airlines security officials identified the man as an executive platinum traveler with the airline who purchased his round-trip ticket on April 19.

Knocke did not say whether the man had proper identification when he boarded the employee shuttle and passed through the employee access-only entranc
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/12/pla...ted/index.html

Seriously? I will not buy the excuse that he thought he was on the right shuttle from the carpark. I know that their are perks to being a FF but come on!
Old Jul 12, 2007, 6:48 am

Programs: BA
All right, EXPs, fess up, which one of you did it...
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Absolutely pathetic! I am not in the least bit surprised this incident happened on AA with yet another weak spined yellow bellied AA flight attendant crying out the sky is falling because they thought someone or something looked odd.

Where is there a rule that says you must be an employee or wear a badge to use the employee bus??? Unless the bus enters or transits a sterile area, who the heck cares who is on the bus?? I've been on the EWR employee bus many times when I parked with a friend who worked at CO!

Give me a break!!

Note to American Airlines Flight Attendants: Go grow a backbone!
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:50 am
J S

From the CNN story:

"Anthony Loynes, one of the 188 passengers aboard the flight, told CNN the pilot told passengers the plane was stopping at JFK because the plane did not have enough fuel to make it to London."

Pretty stupid excuse. I would think a medical emergency would be more convincing. Also, if they were seriously worried, wouldn't they stop at the closest airport? LAX-LHR does not go anywhere near JFK according to Great Circle Mapper.

-J S
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:55 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
The normal route LAX-LHR might not closely track the great circle route.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:59 am
J S

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
The normal route LAX-LHR might not closely track the great circle route.
I agree. However, it is hard to imagine that Bangor, Boston, etc. were not closer.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
AA flight diverted to NY in "misunderstanding"

If this is an employee, can you say paranoia gone to far..

http://us.f324.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Sho...&VScan=1&Idx=4

An American Airlines flight was diverted to New York early on Thursday after the crew reported a suspicious passenger in what the FBI said was a misunderstanding

It may very well turn out that this is nothing more than a misunderstanding with an employee who used an employee bus to get on a plane for a private flight," Chertoff said
Old Jul 12, 2007, 8:04 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Absolutely pathetic! I am not in the least bit surprised this incident happened on AA with yet another weak spined yellow bellied AA flight attendant crying out the sky is falling because they thought someone or something looked odd.

Where is there a rule that says you must be an employee or wear a badge to use the employee bus??? Unless the bus enters or transits a sterile area, who the heck cares who is on the bus?? I've been on the EWR employee bus many times when I parked with a friend who worked at CO!

Give me a break!!

Note to American Airlines Flight Attendants: Go grow a backbone!
i agreee with you 100% on this but also according to the cnn piece, this pax went thru the employee security checkpoint and that to me is a BIG problem with the tsa at lax as if you are going thru an employee checkpoint, ya gots ta have an employee i/d. tsa-lax fubar'd this part of it.

now, the article goes on to mention that......

Anthony Loynes, one of the 188 passengers aboard the flight, told CNN the pilot told passengers the plane was stopping at JFK because the plane did not have enough fuel to make it to London.

if pax loynes was a f/t'er, he's sure as he|| know that it was not a fuel situation

Last edited by goalie; Jul 12, 2007 at 10:59 am
Old Jul 12, 2007, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Gold
a passenger whom the employee said he saw bypassing security by traveling on an employee-only bus from the parking lot to the LAX airport
Employees can take a bus to get from the parking lot to the plane without passing through security?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.