Wiki Posts
Search

SYD-LHR Virgin atlantic or QANTAS?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2007, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF/Oneworld/Marriott Platinum
SYD-LHR Virgin atlantic or QANTAS?

First time going SYD to LHR... am currently a platinum QFF.

Is it better to go there on Virgin Atlantic or QANTAS?
Work trip, so no $ required, however the points i earn from the milage will be accredited to me. so, the question is, assuming i am going in economy, which is more comfortable/better food?

If virgin is better, is it still worth going on it and not getting QFF points (I'm am a new member on virgin club so my balance is currently 0)?

I'll be doign this SYD -> LHR every 3 wks for about 3-4 mths, with plans for some wkend stints to europe so whatever offers the best points + most comfortable 24hr flight!

Thanks!
Old Jul 4, 2007, 7:42 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Maybe you should calculate how many points you'll get on Virgin and consider what you could redeem them for. It is probably going to be easier to redeem virgin points than QFF points.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bluespinich
Is it better to go there on Virgin Atlantic or QANTAS?
Work trip, so no $ required, however the points i earn from the milage will be accredited to me. so, the question is, assuming i am going in economy, which is more comfortable/better food?

I'll be doign this SYD -> LHR every 3 wks for about 3-4 mths, with plans for some wkend stints to europe so whatever offers the best points + most comfortable 24hr flight!

Thanks!
The benefit of using QF is that , as a QF Platinum member, you can get an exit seat pre-assigned, other than that , economy is economy

If you are doing it 3-4 times ( and not being able to get the company to pay for business ) , then I would try and get them to book World Traveller Plus on BA . Get much better comfort without the need to go for the much higher expense of business class.

For some variety in FF earning, with WT+, collect the miles to AA and after the 3rd-4th trip you will have AA Executive Platinum status (Ow Emerald), plus enough miles for a free r/t to Europe in Business Class with no need to pay fuel fines. You could still collect to QF and the flights would earn Full Economy status credits, but the number of miles you would earn would be nowhere near that needed for a J r/t to Europe and not quite enough even to upgrade to J each way

Dave
Old Jul 4, 2007, 3:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
IIRC Virgin Atlantic status earning is based on number of flights, with reset counter at each level. VS is also status earning on SQ's Kris Flyer program.

With all programs, it depends on the booking class as to how quickly status can be earnt.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 5:00 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
I think Virgin Atlantic's Y service is not that great. It is ok in PE and J, b ut in Y it is nothing short of awful.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 3:07 am

Programs: QFNB,
I remember some time ago VS was status matching QFF WP's to their Gold level. I think this may have coinsided when they started to the LHR-SYD route and from memory you had to book a UC ticket to seal the status match. But I guess if you were thinking of flying lots with them a phone call to see if they would status match and hence get your business couldn't hurt.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 6:30 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Nothing to do with FF benefits, but keep in mind that QF has lots of options to get you to/from London if there is a flight delay or even cancellation due to things like aircraft mechanical problem, while VS only have the one daily flight and would otherwise have to reply on putting you onto a partner's or competitor's flight.

You also get lounge access at LHR with QF and will not with VS. But can still use the Qantas Club FLounge at SYD and HKG even if flying with VS.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 2:28 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by NM
Nothing to do with FF benefits, but keep in mind that QF has lots of options to get you to/from London if there is a flight delay or even cancellation due to things like aircraft mechanical problem, while VS only have the one daily flight and would otherwise have to reply on putting you onto a partner's or competitor's flight.

You also get lounge access at LHR with QF and will not with VS. But can still use the Qantas Club FLounge at SYD and HKG even if flying with VS.
Sure, but VS is half owned by SQ so not like they don't have options also in the unlikely event of a/c going mech. On some routes the risk of irregular ops needs to be factored in, but not I think too much concern for the kangaroo route.

Subject to fare class, VS will get status quickly enough and lounge access (including the very very nice LHR club house). As NM points out, in the interim you could still use QF lounges en route, as long as you have QF platinum status.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:46 am
Original Poster

thanks guys, sorry this is such a late thanks - but your posts were so enlightening on the different ways to work the systems!!

i eventually convinced work to book me with qantas so i flew on that... with a free upgrade without asking for it on the flight back (and neil perry was on the flight with a bunch of other chefs so food was probably extra good for some reason?? hehe)

gotta somehow work out how to get more of these free upgrades hehhe... am flying again this sunday...
Old Aug 7, 2007, 4:52 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by bluespinich
..and neil perry was on the flight with a bunch of other chefs so food was probably extra good for some reason?? ...
No doubt they were scratching their collective heads and saying "how can our wonderful dishes be ruined by those galley slaves - just because they are preparing (read: reheating) our food in a small galley and at altitude doesn't mean it should be any different from what we do on the ground..."
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:22 am

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
I'm just glad he is eating it. Maybe he will realize that some things just don't work on a plane like they do on the ground - the poor excuse for toast is one of them.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:54 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
the only VS operated route is syd-hkg-lhr.

the Qf/BA network has more connections.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 1:31 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
There are for and againsts.

Virgin has a max 30 inch seat pitch in economy. QF has 31 inch. An inchcan make a big difference on a long journey.

VS provide a few extra ammenities eg. ear-plugs and have an AVOD that always works well with more options than QF.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoldFlyer
I'm just glad he is eating it. Maybe he will realize that some things just don't work on a plane like they do on the ground - the poor excuse for toast is one of them.
yeh I dont know why the toast tastes so rubbery & they still serve it... i always go for the crossiant.

he was in the F lounge as well in BKK. Ihope he was eating the food there cos it wasnt that good. i was jsut eating local fruit like mangosteen etc...
Old Aug 8, 2007, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozzie
There are for and againsts.

Virgin has a max 30 inch seat pitch in economy. QF has 31 inch. An inchcan make a big difference on a long journey.

VS provide a few extra ammenities eg. ear-plugs and have an AVOD that always works well with more options than QF.
serious? i thought qantas had the most options on their AVOD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.