Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Are walkers allowed on planes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are walkers allowed on planes?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Question Are walkers allowed on planes?

My gramma will be leaving for Hong Kong tomorrow. She wants to bring her walker --not necessarily on the plane but would like to have it with her to use in Hong Kong.

Does anybody know whether Cathay Pacific or Air Canada allow passengers to board planes with walkers? (this is a folding walker). Do FA's have a stowaway compartment just for these?

If not, should we check it in? How should we check it in? Am afraid the walker will get broken by callous handlers

Thanks for any help,
-LDK
Old Jul 3, 2007, 3:21 am

Programs: SK*S, AA PLT, US*S
I would either ask for assistance at the airport(wheelchair) and check the walker. Another option is to gatecheck it. Make sure to tell the FA that you want the walker on the ramp, not at the luggage claim...

I dont think you will be able to stow it inside the plane but if it is folding, you might be able to. Will it fit in the overhead bins? If not; gate check it.

And again, I would ask for assistance and a wheelchair. Its not going to hurt her, but this means she got to be prepared to sit down in a wheelchair, which not everyone is...
Old Jul 3, 2007, 8:03 pm

Air Canada:

Air Canada will carry the following aids as priority baggage without charge and in addition to the free baggage allowance:
Wheelchairs
Walkers, canes, crutches and braces
Communication devices
Prosthesis or medical device
Segway
Full text: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...cialneeds.html

Cathay Pacific:
Maximum weight of ANY SINGLE PIECE of checked baggage is 32kg (70lbs), unless it's one of the following:
Mobility aids
Medical Equipment
Sporting equipment
Musical instruments
Camera equipment
Household effects
Pets as baggage
Diplomatic baggage
Full text: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...ggageallowance

See also: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...l/specialneeds

People travel with walkers all the time, but I would encourage you to call the airline directly and ask them what their procedure is. I'd also find out what kind of plane it is. If Gramma is flying transpacific, it's probably a widebody with a large first-class closet, and the crew may stow her walker there in the cabin. If she needs to check it, it will be planeside, not at the check-in counter. Do ask for wheelchair assistance as JoeW recommends.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all your replies.

My gramma was unable to bring her walker on because it was still kinda bulky after folding it.

Ohh well...
Old Jul 5, 2007, 6:01 pm

Excuse me? Who said what?! I hope she got some wheelchair assistance if the case is she didn't get to bring her walker? Who told her she couldnt bring it??
Old Jul 5, 2007, 8:00 pm

Programs: United MP
I'm assuming it was gate checked?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
I'm assuming it was gate checked?
I hope so..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.