Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

What to do between Frankfurt & Dortmund and in Dortmund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2007, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott

Friend has a day to kill inbetween Frankfurt & Dortmund. I imagine will be travelling by train - any ideas? Also, things to do/eat in Dortmund also appreciated!
Old Jun 13, 2007, 7:11 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Dortmund is a beer city, so go to a brewpub. I like Hövels. You may also want to try Pfefferkorn. Keep in mind though, that both of these have good, but heavy, German food. If you are looking for Nouvelle Cuisine, you won't find much of it in Dortmund.

As far as what else there is to do, I just found this link from the World cup last year gives some basic ideas. I spent a week there a few years ago for a sporting event (not the WC unfortunately) and enjoyed the city, but Dortmund isn't a tourist mecca. I have been back a couple of times, just because I liked the city.

One interesting thing nearby is in Wuppertal, which has a mass transportation system (http://schwebebahn.com/)that has to be seen to be believed. It is a suspended monorail which has been in operation for over a hundred years.

Last edited by You want to go where?; Jun 13, 2007 at 7:19 am
Old Jun 14, 2007, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Dortmund is a beer city, so go to a brewpub. I like Hövels. You may also want to try Pfefferkorn. Keep in mind though, that both of these have good, but heavy, German food. If you are looking for Nouvelle Cuisine, you won't find much of it in Dortmund.

As far as what else there is to do, I just found this link from the World cup last year gives some basic ideas. I spent a week there a few years ago for a sporting event (not the WC unfortunately) and enjoyed the city, but Dortmund isn't a tourist mecca. I have been back a couple of times, just because I liked the city.

One interesting thing nearby is in Wuppertal, which has a mass transportation system (http://schwebebahn.com/)that has to be seen to be believed. It is a suspended monorail which has been in operation for over a hundred years.
Thanks - great info. Any ideas on what to do inbetween the two cities for a day? I know Bayern, but not this area at all!!
Old Jun 14, 2007, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by brendamc
Thanks - great info. Any ideas on what to do inbetween the two cities for a day? I know Bayern, but not this area at all!!
I would take a train: FRA - Rhine Valley - Bonn - Cologne - Duesseldorf - Dortmund
Nice ride ... stop at any of the mentioned cities.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:02 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Of the cities USAFAN mentioned Bonn might be the easiest to navigate for the unfamiliar visitor. The main station is next to the pictoresque Old Town, University parks and the Rhine banks. In Cologne the massive subway construction sites will be there until autumn and Duesseldorf has the main station quite a leap from the scenic areas.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 6:41 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Alternatively, picking up on the Rhine valley theme, Bingen and Boppard would provide a smaller town experience in the middle of the Rhine gorge. Your friend could take a short day cruise on the Rhine.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 6:48 am

mosburger:

I was not aware of the subway construction in Cologne. Other than that, the station is direct next to the Cathedral and not far from the old town (Altstadt)

One hint: Take the slower train (it's a scenic ride), which follows the Rhine Valley (not that LH fast train)

Read this, which I googled:

".....Splendour of the Rhine Valley
For the traveler, Mainz marks the spot where the scenery becomes more interesting. For nearly two hours, the train follows the Rhine Valley, twisting and turning with the river’s every change of direction. On the opposite bank local passenger trains, as well as legions of wagons use another double-track main line, carrying the output of Germany’s industrial efforts, behind Class 140s, 141s, 1502 and 151s.

There is a two –minute stop in the city of Koblenz, where the Mosel joins with the Rhine. This is a good place to gather one’s breath and investigate the restaurant car, which, thankfully, is still one that serves well-prepared, cooked food at reasonable prices (depending on the exchange rate). To accompany your meal, it seems sacrilegious to choose anything but a Rhine wine!

The next stop is the re-reunification capital, Bonn, where the two-platform station is tiny.

The Rembrandt as commuter train
The next station is one that would grace any capital city, but Cologne has never had that hour. The covered station is next to the familiar landmark of the cathedral, with its twin spires, best viewed from the mighty four-track Hohenzollern Bridge, which carries the Rembrandt across the Rhine. The locomotive is on the bridge before the last coach has left the platforms. Many fellow passengers left the train in Cologne, some to take the advertised connection to Brussels, but many others will travel on to other destinations in Germany’s industrial heartland. It took 18 minutes to change locomotives and crews in Cologne. It is now 18.02, making the Rembrandt a convenient train for northbound businessmen heading for Düsseldorf, Duisburg and Oberhausen. The Rembrandt’s character has changed once more: traveling for pleasure has given way to an efficient means of getting home.....
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Alternatively, picking up on the Rhine valley theme, Bingen and Boppard would provide a smaller town experience in the middle of the Rhine gorge. Your friend could take a short day cruise on the Rhine.

Some links:

http://worldheritage.heindorffhus.dk...hineValley.htm

http://www.about-germany.org/regions/rhine.php

Due to its stunning beauty, the Rhine is an immensely popular holiday destination. Castles, cathedrals, woods and vineyards, hiking trails and a romantic river bed all contribute to the scenery, which inspired numerous poets and painters. Clemens Brentano, Friedrich Hölderlin, Heinrich Heine, August and Friedrich Schlegel all composed parts of their main works in the vicinity of the Rhine.

Lorelei, the intriguing Rhine temptress, is probably the most famous figure of German folklore. Heinrich Heine's poem is just one of the many fictional narratives inspired by the myth of the Rhine's siren whose singing guided sailors into shipwreck and death.

http://www.passports.com/trips/cityf...Rhine%20Valley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.