Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Casablanca REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La

I searched before I went and didn't find any information about this property, so here is a bit. I just got back from three nights here using Faster Free Nights.

-- Service: Overall, the front-line service was mediocre, but the second-level service was very good. Staff were unable to fulfill several requests (e.g., borrowing a power converter, getting an extra slippers and hair conditioner, and making changes to the reservation), but when the guest relations manager intervened, he was very helpful and friendly. He got me what I needed, apologized, and offered me complimentary Mercedes service to the train station as a concession. The conceirge was helpful and articulate.

Also, they accommodated my requested change to the reservation. I had booked a three-night FFN stay, but I asked if I could check out after two nights and then return for a third night after a one-night hiatus (so that I could overnight in Marrakech). Normally, one can't stay for fewer than three consecutive nights mid-week, but I asked for an exception. The front desk told me that the reservations manager would have to consider this, but he wasn't there, but a very helpful woman in the sales department fulfilled my request.

I also asked for an upgrade to the Regency Club, which they denied. I am only Platinum, so, although it would have been nice, I can't complain.

-- Facilities. The rooms are a bit old and run-down, probably the least impressive part of the hotel. (I was on the non-Regency Club floor.) (An example pet-peeve: They have the hangers that are attached to the closet bar, like at Motel 6.) However, the bathrooms are better, and the very large marble shower is excellent. (The toilet was in a separate room disconnected from the bath/shower/sink.) The hotel has separate men's and women's hamams, which are better than adequate but hard to find. The lobby is beautiful, as is the sleek, modern bar with fireplace. The restaurant is pretty; the only meal that I had was breakfast, and it was outstanding, although pricey (about USD 30 per person). Overall, the facilities didn't strike of the local area.

-- Location. Casablanca is not the highlight of Morocco; if I had to do it over again, I would have spent one day there and more time in Rabat (1.5-hour train ride) and Marrakech (3.5-hour train ride), which were far more interesting. (I didn't get to go to the other major cities or parts of the country, but I would also imagine that they have more to offer than Casablanca.) However, within the city the Hyatt is well-located, next to a large souq and what must be the downtown area. It's not really close to the upscale shopping district or most of the typical tourist attractions, although I made the very long walks to many of them. The hotel was going for about USD 350 per night, which seems high, but I suppose that Casablanca is a business hub and it's probably the best full-service hotel in the city.

Overall this was a fine experience. As a first-time visitor to Morocco, I found the Hyatt a good choice. If I was paying for the rooms, and wasn't slavishly tied to Gold Passport, then I might prefer to stay somewhere else.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Curious if there are any recent reviews on this hotel?
Old Jan 17, 2009, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I just returned from a three night stay at this hotel and my experience was similar to mecabq's.

Overall
The hotel is certainly the nicest hotel in Casablanca. Other Western chains are around (including two Starwood properties), but the Hyatt is the hands-down winner in terms of exclusivity and class. Situated in the Place des Nations Unis, it is within walking distance to just about everything in the city, including the main city center, the Hassan mosque, the Old Medina (right behind the hotel) and, if you don't mind a little stroll, the Maarif area.

Is the hotel worth $500/nt like they often charge? In my opinion, no. The Sheraton or Le Meridian right down the road will give you more-or-less the same comfort for half the price. But, if you are really loyal to Hyatt or staying on behalf of a client, the Hyatt is a very nice facility.

Common Areas
Superb. The exterior of the hotel clearly gives away the fact that this hotel was built quite some time ago, but you would never know it from the inside. The common areas have been remodeled and they are beautiful. The lobby is exquisite, including the lobby bar and restaurant which are ornately decorated. Both the lobby bar and restaurant were always very crowded when I was there, despite the hotel seeming nearly empty.

The hotel also has an Oriental/Moroccan restaurant which I did not eat at, though I had heard good things about it prior to my arrival. Their main restaurant, however, was Cafe M. I ate there one evening and had no complaints. The menu was a mix of many international cuisines, good wine list, the chef includes a few (free) pre- and post-dinner treats (apparently these change daily) and the service was decent. The overall price for dinner (excluding alcohol), runs about $30, which is the biggest bargain the hotel has on offer (see below).

Casablanca's nightlife is incredibly sad. Most of the nightlife is concentrated in either the hotels in the city or the waterfront district to the west. If you decide to indulge in the Hyatt's brand of Casablanca nightlife, you can try either the 6pm Bar -- aptly named for its opening time -- or the Black House nightclub, which operates from 11ish to 4ish. Like most Muslim countries that serve alcohol, Morocco slaps a hefty tax on boozing; incredibly, the Hyatt must quadruple it. A local beer will run you around $12 a bottle; a Heineken is about $17 a bottle and a mixed drink is at least $20 a glass. Come prepared.

The other features of the 1st floor include a Louis Vuitton boutique, numerous meeting rooms and a pool (not open in the cold months). There is no sundry store.

Diamond Recognition
I had a seamless check-in and was recognized very early on as being a Diamond member. They upgraded me to the Club level which goes from floor 8 to floor 10. I was also given a bottle of local wine, local snacks, multiple bottles of water and juice. This was waiting for me in the room.

Room
My room sounds identical to mecabq's. I was located on one of the Regency Club floors, which meant I needed a door key to access my floor by elevator. My room was standard size and had a fairly large bathroom. The toilet was located in a separate closet that was not connected to the main bathroom. The bathroom itself had both a soaking tub and a large walk-in shower. Like mecabq's experience, my hangers were the Motel 6 style, which is pretty sad given the expensive the hotel has gone through during their remodel.

T.V. was a new LCD model with a good amount of English-language stations.

Mini-bar was the annoying version with sensors that charge you every time something moves. If you use the mini-bar to cool your beverages provided during the turn-down service or as a result of being Diamond, make sure to check your bill. I was careful, I thought, not to trigger the mini-bar when I used the fridge to cool my personal drinks, but I found numerous incorrect mini-bar charges on my check-out bill.

Overall, the room was more than fine. My only real complaint is that internet was $40 a day for in-room access (wired or wireless). I equate that to robbery.

Regency Club
The club is on the 8th floor and is accessed with your door key, even when staffed. The club is available 24/7 to RC guests, but is only staffed during key times. Also, the staff is really only able to help serve food/drinks. Despite having a computer and credit card terminal, check-in and check-out is done in the lobby.

During my time in the RC, I never saw more than one other person at a time taking advantage of the lounge. My guess is that the hotel had <20% occupancy with only a hand-full of those guests having RC access.

Like you would expect, breakfast is the standard continental fare with cold cuts, fruits, breads and cereal. A self-service Espresso machine is also on offer. Evening hours bring nuts, small finger foods and some alcohol: local beer, wine and a very limited display of spirits (there is no rum or vodka, for instance). If you decide to go to the lounge on off hours, you can get non-alcoholic beverages, but no food.

Across the hall from the RC is a small room with two computers for RC guests to use. They are available 24/7 and are free. There is no problem with bringing your RC drinks and snacks along with you if you decide to use the computer terminals.

Transport
Taxis to and from the airport are fixed at around the local equivalent of $30 USD. Any other transport you need can be had through one of the countless Mercedes taxis lined up in front of the hotel. Just remember to negotiate in advance and expect them to overcharge you by at least 3x the actual price of the ride for a local passenger. If you prefer to avoid the haggling, just take a red Petit Taxi by flagging one down -- these taxis have meters and are incredibly cheap by any standard.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 7:38 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thank you for an excellent report. This hotel had not been on my radar screen, but is thanks to your comments.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thinking about Casablanca. Is a "day" trip to Rabat reasonable? Opinions appreciated. Any new items on the Hotel also appreciated. Thanks.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:50 am
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
I just left the property after a single-night NBT redemption and thought I would add to cmhua777's excellent comments...

I presented my Diamond card at check-in and was given a 6th floor room. But, having read this thread beforehand, I asked how could I possibly gain access to the Club with a 6th floor access card? The reception agent, a little flustered, rechecked my reservation/profile, apparently deduced that I should get Club access and coded another key for 8th floor access. (More later.)

The room was just as cmhua777 described it, but there were a few flaws. First, the LG flat-panel TV looked great, but about a third of the 27 channels (including all the movie channels) were heavily pixelated and borderline 'no signal'. Also, the opening window panels did not seal properly, letting in some noise from the busy street below (easily resolved with earplugs). And lastly, the Diamond amenities (local wine, lemon tarts, and tangerines) were identical to what was served in the Club that evening.

I should also mention that the view from the room directly faced the Hassan II Mosque. (Assuming that such a view would be desirable by many, I wonder if they reserve rooms on that side of the building for elites?)

On my first visit to the Club (around noon) I found the door open and the Club staffed by two receptionists. Just for grins -- even with the open door -- I tried the access card I was given at check-in... sure enough, it didn't work. One of the receptionists coded a third card, this time for the Club door. So now I had a room card, 8th floor elevator card, and Club card. (All cards, by the way, are the proximity type.)

The evening cocktail hour was great, largely thanks to a superb receptionist who made sure the guests were happy. He addressed all guests by name (true, there weren't that many, perhaps a dozen), remembered their preferred beverage from the night before, and remembered that I had asked earlier in the afternoon if any English newspapers were available. (And, yes, he found a IHT for me.) He even went across the hall to the Business Center at 18:10 to remind me that cocktail hour had started!

Only one hot item was available in the evening, skewers of chicken and meat with a spicy dipping sauce.

I didn't use any of the public areas during my brief stay.

Also, a personal first: this was the first Hyatt where I was charged taxes (only $6) on a redemption stay.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:15 am
LRD

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Thinking about Casablanca. Is a "day" trip to Rabat reasonable?
Yes! In fact, all stops on the Casa-Fes line are now a little more accessible, with about an hour knocked-off the trip to Fes due to new hardware.

In fact, ONCF's own website didn't show the new timings as recently as the first of the month.

Figure on about a fifty-minute ride from Casa. (I think you can depart either Casa Port or Casa Voyageurs, but I'd bet only the latter has the newer/faster trains.)
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you. Still hoping to make it. Who did you fly in on?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:53 am
LRD

Thank you. Still hoping to make it. Who did you fly in on?
I flew MAD-CMN in J on IB, as part of a sixteen-segment oneworld award redemption to N. Africa and the M. East.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
The hotel may be great for guests with status but I (no Hyatt status) just stayed two nights and it was not a great experience.

Had to wait in the lobby for an hour before getting a room because the computer was down. I asked if housekeeping didn't know which rooms were cleaned and ready. "Yes they do, but we have already planned who gets which room". So much for flexibility in the face of adversity. After 45 minutes I suggested they might like to offer those people waiting for rooms (there were about 7-8 of us) something to drink. It took a while before that concept sunk in, but it finally happened. And, by the way there wasn't a manager in sight.

I would probably have done better if the computers had not come on line...I ended up in a room on the first floor above the Moroccan restaurant. I thought I had been understanding of the problem at reception, but obviously not understanding enough and was meted out the finest form of retribution. The room was barely soundproofed and the music and drums in the restaurant below went on until about 130 am. Having unpacked all my gear I was not thrilled about the idea of moving so I toughed it out. I am just amazed that a hotel can sell a room like that.

The only redeeming feature was the food in that Moroccan restaurant. On the second night I figured that if I couldn't beat them I'd join them. I didn't regret it and the food was truly excellent. I was back in the room before the music stopped but copious amounts of Casablanca beer dulled my senses enough to avoid further suffering....
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is this hotel still undergoing a renovation on guest rooms? Anyone stayed here lately?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:59 pm

I have a ticket so inbound. Any and all comments appreciated. Thank you.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:08 am

This place costs a bundle. Any comments still appreciated. Transport options from CMN? Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
This place costs a bundle. Any comments still appreciated. Transport options from CMN? Thanks.
If you are willing to give up stay credit then buy a stay cert - you'll end up about $145/night US + Fedex fee.

Had a fantastic stay here using the cert - lounge access as a Diamond - really friendly staff and great views.

From CMN take the airport train direct to Voyageurs Sta and then a taxi from there to the hotel. Taxi most likely wont take you if you insist on the meter so expect to pay a slight premium as a tourist. I believe we paid 40 dhms leaving from hotel meter rate was around 20.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:34 pm

Thank you. Thanks for the cert idea. Leaving the Station should I just give the driver money to take me to the Hyatt. 40 works if that is the number. ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.