Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Rewards Network (formerly iDine)
Reload this Page >

Restaurants restricting awards (airlines, credit card, etc. restrictions list)

Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Platinum; DL, BA; SPG Gold

I was just told by idine that although the restaurant I go to is part of idine, it will not give points if an amex card is used - even if that amex card is one of my registered cards on idine.

I was also told that if I went to the "details" for that restaurant, I would see that.

The details page says "credit cards accepted" and does not list Amex.

Okay, I assumed that was because the restaurant didn't accept the Amex card at all....which was the case up to a few months ago when the restaurant stated accepting Amex and I started using it.

Have you heard of not accepting certain credit cards for idine purposes only?

Thanks.

Mrs.P
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:49 am

Programs: Peon in all
Yes, it is true! You need to look at the details page to see which CC the location accepts for giving idine credit. Not all CCs may give you credit.

A restaurant may accept AX, MC, VI or DS for payment - they may even accept cash to pay the bill! But they may only give idine credit if you use your MC or VI. Some may give credit for MC but not VI.

It is always best to check the details to see which CC gets idine credit before dining!
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Thanks for the warning!

One more loophole for the participant.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 12:46 pm
NBL

This is pretty bizarre.

On more than one occasion I've been to RN restaurant that doesn't accept all the credit cards that the website claims it does (usually Discover).
Old Feb 6, 2007, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by NBL
This is pretty bizarre.

On more than one occasion I've been to RN restaurant that doesn't accept all the credit cards that the website claims it does (usually Discover).
happened tome with AMEX at a bar where I ran up a nice tab. I would have preferred to get the 3% back with my Amex but had to use my MC which only give 1%.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:03 pm

which restaurant was this? if it's Boston area, I'd like to make a note of it...
Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, CO, HH, PP
Interestingly enough, I paid at a restaurant with AMEX that took AMEX, but didn't list it as an acceptable card. All without realizing this, I emailed idine when credit didn't post, sent them proof of the dine and they posted it anyway. I wouldn't recommend this on a regular basis, but if you accidently use a proscribed card, challenge it and see what happens.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:28 am

wow, no amex?

It must be a funky request by the restaurant owner. You should tell the owner you were considering them for a dinner outing or meeting, but chose another restaurant because of the restriction, maybe that will have them change things!

Originally Posted by PatFlyer
I was just told by idine that although the restaurant I go to is part of idine, it will not give points if an amex card is used - even if that amex card is one of my registered cards on idine.

I was also told that if I went to the "details" for that restaurant, I would see that.

The details page says "credit cards accepted" and does not list Amex.

Okay, I assumed that was because the restaurant didn't accept the Amex card at all....which was the case up to a few months ago when the restaurant stated accepting Amex and I started using it.

Have you heard of not accepting certain credit cards for idine purposes only?

Thanks.

Mrs.P
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:29 pm

One restaurant in the Boston area that seems to have this issue is Kashmir in Salem,NH.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 3:28 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, Dividend Miles, True Blue, Membership Rewards
Wickers in Hicksville NY. VI, MC, DIS but no Amex credit even though they take Amex. There is 1000 miles I'm not going to get. Today Dave learns that reading is important....

-Dave
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
One more loophole for the participant.
I hate to say this but this has always been a restriction. Although most restos accept most cards, there are a few that don't.

This is very similar to the circumstance that a resto in one program is the same in all the others. I thought this only occurred at small restos in small towns.

Imagine my surprise to see that although the AA program lists the multi-location in NYC Baluchi Indian restos as part of their fold, while Delta has nary a one at all under their program!

Of course, I found this out because I always go to the dining section of the respective program to see exactly what restos are listed for a given area under the program.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by drjhwang
which restaurant was this? if it's Boston area, I'd like to make a note of it...
Another in the Boston area: Wu Chon House (Union Square, Somerville) does not give iDine miles for Amex.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I was wondering if we should have a sticky (or thread) for restricted joints (not all cards, not all airlines)? I haven't run across the cc problem, but being the AS hub city, Seattle currently has 5 joints that give all-but-Alaska credit.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I was wondering if we should have a sticky (or thread) for restricted joints (not all cards, not all airlines)? I haven't run across the cc problem, but being the AS hub city, Seattle currently has 5 joints that give all-but-Alaska credit.
That is a great idea! @:-) @:-)

Threads like that are aids that are indeed quite helpful to all those who read these pages!
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:10 am

Programs: Former business traveler now working from home
Originally Posted by WhatAWendy
Another in the Boston area: Wu Chon House (Union Square, Somerville) does not give iDine miles for Amex.
Hmm, Wu Chon House does not seem to be listed at all in either the AA or NW program, which are the only two I'm enrolled in. Which program did you spot them in, and are they still participating? (I live on the hill above Union Square and like their bibimbap.)

In order to make this post of more general interest, any opinions as to which program seems to have the most restaurants participating?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.