Search

What hand luggage do you use?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
What hand luggage do you use?

Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a new bag to use for cabin baggage. I'm looking for something preferably on wheels, and large enough to carry a weekend's worth of clothing. It must (of course) fit into the NEW size restrictions (56x45x25cm). So, what bag do you guys use, and/or do you have any suggestions please?

Cheers!

(PS - not looking to spend a fortune here please!)
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:37 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
A (prod-free ) search shows that this very same topic has come up before on the BA board:

What hand luggage do you take on board?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Oh boll0cks. 5h1t. W2nk.

I fear the prodding

EDIT: scrap that, read threads below....
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by AJLondon
A (prod-free ) search shows that this very same topic has come up before on the BA board:

What hand luggage do you take on board?
Yes, but in all fairness to MCS? that thread is all about suggestions before the the new restrictions...

I think the prod should be revoked!!
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by bcmatt
Yes, but to be fair to MCS? that thread is all pre-new conditions...

Poor excuse! Nah, the prod still stands!
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bcmatt
Yes, but in all fairness to MCS? that thread is all about suggestions before the the new restrictions...

Indeed bcmatt, I have just noticed this, thank you for coming to my defence!!

In my book, that means AJ should get a prodding for falsely accusing prodding. Hah.

Now, back on topic, any suggestions please folks?!?!
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:46 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
In my book, that means AJ should get a prodding for falsely accusing prodding. Hah.
I think improper use of the prod deserves some alternative punishment, to avoid confusion. A spanking perhaps?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
Now, back on topic, any suggestions please folks?!?!
If you are looking for suggestions about hand baggage that complies with the new restrictions, then the latter half of the the thread below has some most useful suggestions:

Breaking News: Hand baggage restrictions to be relaxed next week...
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:57 pm

Programs: F
Sigh. To get back on topic, have at look at this Antler, which fits the current UK regulations as well as the overall size limits of 115cm and the tighter regional 105cm encountered elsewhere in the world. (It's actually a bit bigger than the stated dimensions - just makes 105cm by a whisker.)
Old Jan 18, 2007, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Why does a healthy young man like you need cabin baggage with wheels. You need something you can swing on your shoulder to look young and trendy.

I always believe that hand luggage should be carried by hand and not wheeled along. Suppose thats why people now refer to cabin baggage instead.

Last edited by KenJohn; Jan 19, 2007 at 12:52 am
Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:27 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
MCS? I suggest you just find someone who wants to travel with you to carry your bags.... I'd offer but there is that distance thing.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
The ballistic nylon management consultant clone (Swanhunter (TM)) Tumi 96041 style. As tough as old boots and is expandable so fits a decent amount of stuff. I can pack for a three day trip and still have room for the electronics. Fits under the seat in front as well.

I went into the store with my mind set on the leather version but I was particularly impressed with the ballistic nylon. Any marks just come right off.

My father has had a Tumi that has gone around 1.5m miles with him and it still looks in pretty good condition. I'm not sure what the style is but it's a leather one and is quite similar to mine.

You can see pics on Google Images or the Tumi website.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:25 pm

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
I have a wheeled Rimowa Salsa "Cabin trolley IATA"

http://www.rimowa.com/index_int.asp?spr=Englisch

55 x 40 x 19.5 cm and fits in the gauges. Comes in silver, black, and a variety of other colours.

Made of polycarbonate, so you seem to be able to keep on stuffing things in and in practice it can stretch more or less up to the max thickness of 25cm (overfilling it doesn't cause it to stretch lengthways so it still stays within the 56cm). Empty, it weighs practically nothing. Indestructible, so doesn't mind being checked in if needed (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't).

Only disadvantage is lack of outside pockets for quick access to stuff. But if I travel with a coat with several pockets, that isn't an issue.

(This is also the model Lufthansa sells as own-brand cabin baggage with its logo on.)
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I use a Briggs and Riley 20" wheeled carry on. They are as tough as they come (as good as Tumi), seem to have a bit more space inside than the Tumi equivalent and come with a lifetime guarantee.

I also have a 21" expander which in its unexpanded state is just too big for the new regulations, but has found its way past the LHR baggage police on several occasions without comment or challenge.

Both of mine have done many flights and still look as good as new.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Having bought some last week ....

Most of the stuff on sale in your local luxury emporium was designed before the new rules came in. The small sizes are too small and the large sizes are just too big. The Paul Smith range, for example, is 27cm deep according to my tape measure although the height is perfect. The nifty £680 Dunhill one is simply too small.

It pains me to say it, but I bought the John Lewis own-brand case for £60 (winner of a Good Housekeeping award, no less!). Because JL commission their own stuff, they were able to react when the rules changed. Their £60 case is EXACTLY the right size, so you get to carry the max possible stuff. In Oxford Street (5th floor) they even have one of those BAA measuring boxes so you can prove that it JUST fits in.

In 12 months, all of the other manufacturers will catch up. However, since the EU does not adopt these rules until May, they are not in a hurry. Buy a cheapo JL now and upgrade to the designer version later in the year is my view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.