Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Cities count as a segment

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2007, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Same Cities count as a segment

Recently I made a reservation with what I only thought had 16 segments. In fact only had 16 flight segments.

The first AAgent claimed that sames cities (LHR/LGW, EWR/LGA/JFK, etc) as described in https://www.aa.com/content/disclaime...ld_rules.jhtml do NOT count as a stopover, NOR an open jaw, but they DO count as a segment.

Thus if you have 16 real flights then you cannot have any of those be in connections in same cities (as this would increase the count of segments to 17).

I called back, got a different AAgent and tried to re-ticket. After a day the itn had not ticketed, the 2nd [and 3rd] AAgent also confirmed this.

Last edited by AAaLot; Jan 22, 2007 at 3:51 pm
Old Jan 17, 2007, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AA will not ticket it because it cannot e-ticket a 17-segment itineray.

If the final city is ORD then you cannot stopover there.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
I finalised an itinerary on a OW J award that (mistakenly) had a MIA-GRU leg in F. The agent sent it for supervisor review and ticketing and before it was issued I found I was bumped back to J. In other words, it's pretty certain the "error" will be picked up.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 5:41 am
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by AAaLot
LHR-ORD
ORD-DFW
Is LHR-ORD-DFW on one flight number (AA67)? If so, it counts as one segment (two sectors).
Old Jan 18, 2007, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I suppose they can always hand-write the ticket - hopingthat that someone still knows how to do it manually !
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:52 am
Suspended

The 16-segment limit also applies to handwritten tickets.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

LGA/JFK AA claims this counts as a segment HELP

I have made a reservation with 16 segments

Within the itn the segments are

2/15/07 4: TVC-ORD
2/15/07 5: ORD-LGA
2/15/07 6: JFK-MAD
2/16/07 7: MAD-LHR

I have a total of 16 flight segments, but since they want to count this open jaw as a segment now I have 17.

This does not seem right since their website specially states that LGA/JFK/EWR are the same city.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Try calling back AA and refer them to their oneworld award ticket routing rules website.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Try calling back AA and refer them to their oneworld award ticket routing rules website.
I will, but I was on the phone already 45 minutes while this AAgent supposedly made sure.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it is an OW Award flight , then the information you require is all nicely provided on the AA website at http://www.aa.com/content/disclaimer...ld_rules.jhtml

Originally Posted by aa.com
An open jaw occurs when you arrive into one city and depart from another city. Travel between the two cities may be by train/bus/separate airline ticket, etc.
It also lists airports within cities which will not count as a open jaw. For New York, the airports are :

Newark - EWR
White Plains/Westchester - HPN
John F Kennedy - JFK
LaGuardia - LGA
Islip/Long Island - ISP

Whether it counts as a segment I don't know

Dave

Dave
Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AAaLot
...I have a total of 16 flight segments, but since they want to count this open jaw as a segment now I have 17...
I know this is not what you are saying, but could it possibly be that the open jaw that's creating the problem is not the NYC stop, but a first/last city one, and the agent is confused?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Viajero
I know this is not what you are saying, but could it possibly be that the open jaw that's creating the problem is not the NYC stop, but a first/last city one, and the agent is confused?
Nicely spotted. If the JFK/LGA was being viewed as an open jaw then the trip would be invalid since it would give 2 open jaws ( despite it conflicting with what AA defines as open jaw for an OW award on their website )

Dave
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If AA has to issue the ticket, there is no possible way for them to 'delete' the segment. Each airport has to have a code ,and basically JFK and LGA occupy two codes, hence two segments. So if you exceed, that's because each airport requires a seperate booking segment.

Can you not fly ORD-MAD instead of going via NYC?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
The 16-segment limit also applies to handwritten tickets.
On oneworld tickets? No - that's 20 segments!

The 16 segment rule applies for all automated ticketings.. e-ticket or paper. Beyond that, AA must write out a manual ticket.

Or else AA may transfer the booking to a SABRE equipped TA and they can issue up to 24 segments on paper automated. But you only need 20 anyway.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 5:12 pm

There are flights from ORD-JFK too which avoids the LGA-JFK segment however there is only economy class on those flights

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.