Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rule 240 for paid FC? - no help at the AC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Emergency help rule 240 paid FC

I am currently at DFW with paid FC AA seats.

Due to a mechanical delay I want to be put on NWA.

NWA has FC class seats.

AA says they can only confirm coach on NWA for me.

Is this right? How do I ask? Who do I ask?

What will happen to my value of the FC class tickets?

----

Edited after the 'emergency':

Can someone confirm that a version of rule 240 applies to ALL AA tickets regardless of where they are bought or fare basis. The text at AA.com seems to have no exceptions.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 27, 2006 at 6:17 pm Reason: insert OP original post title
Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
What's your actual Fare Basis?
Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyupfront
What's your actual Fare Basis?
open A

Want to change from FC: DFW-ORD-TVC on AA to DFW-DTW-TVC on NWA

the end of a RTW DONE4 [DGLOB34] ticket [paid $8K+]

We will take the coach...what would be appropraite compensation as part of this mechanical delay and downgrade?
Old Nov 26, 2006, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is no such thing as rule 240. With the AGLOBnn ticket , your compensation for travelling in economy on NW will be approximately zero given the value of the sector.

Dave
Old Nov 26, 2006, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by AAaLot
open A

Want to change from FC: DFW-ORD-TVC on AA to DFW-DTW-TVC on NWA

the end of a RTW DONE4 [DGLOB34] ticket [paid $8K+]

We will take the coach...what would be appropraite compensation as part of this mechanical delay and downgrade?
This is a paid International Business class fare, not First.
The First domestic inventory does not come from F.
On AA I think it comes from A, discounted first.
So NW may not have the equivilent of A inventory.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 3:08 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no such thing as rule 240. With the AGLOBnn ticket , your compensation for travelling in economy on NW will be approximately zero given the value of the sector.

Dave

Really? What's this then??? OneWorld fares are still purchased First Class tickets... please explain why they wouldn't be subject to the same reaccommodation policies (class of travel, etc)?
Old Nov 26, 2006, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
duplicate

Last edited by bbkenney; Nov 26, 2006 at 3:41 pm
Old Nov 26, 2006, 3:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Good find Kanebear on the fact that Rule 240 (in the form stated) does still exist. However, as I read the OP, and the rule you posted, Dave Noble's answer is probably still correct, as it relates to the ticket.

First, I don't see anywhere in the Rule 240 (or the Rule 80, which probably(?) applies to this international ticket) where it calls for reaccomodation on another carrier. The option appears to be reaccomodation on AA, or refund (someone - if I read too fast - feel free to post correction). A coach fare on NW, for same day, is unlikely to leave a material residual on this segment, from a RTW business fare.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kanebear
Really? What's this then??? OneWorld fares are still purchased First Class tickets... please explain why they wouldn't be subject to the same reaccommodation policies (class of travel, etc)?
A DGLOB is not a 1st class ticket, it is a business class ticket; there is a specific exemption in the fare which allows for travel in A class on 2 class North American sectors.

As far as compensation goes, the value of the sector is significantly less than the cost of a full Y ticket , so the compensation level will be zero.

Dave
Old Nov 26, 2006, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers...I will post later more details about this experience since I think others could benefit.

A form of rule 240 should [and did apply] for mechanical delays.

After talking to a ticket agent, not the AC they were able to get 3 FC seats on NWA...we needed 5.

As far as compensation I am asking what is the general level for
rude AC personnel
Incorrect information AC personnel
Delay of 3 hours
Getting 3 FC seats when we were due 5

[I agree with Dave Noble that the theoretical value is 0]
Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Zero, zero, zero, zero and zero, especially Thanksgiving weekend. Any seat at this time beats a first class seat on Monday. Just go.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Thanks for the answers...I will post later more details about this experience since I think others could benefit.

A form of rule 240 should [and did apply] for mechanical delays.
After talking to a ticket agent, not the AC they were able to get 3 FC seats on NWA...we needed 5.[/quote]As detailed below, you got a windfall through luck rather than a correct application of the rules. It never hurts to ask, but other pax are going to be sorely disappointed (for the most part) if they start asking for immediate reaccommodation on other non oneworld carriers due to mechanicals when travelling on deep discount RTW tickets.

As far as compensation I am asking what is the general level for rude AC personnel
What was "rude" besides the fact that they correctly told you no, you couldn't exchange your tickets for flights on NW. I can understand they may have gotten their back up if you started demanding things to which you weren't entitled... i.e. reaccommodation on another carrier due to a minor delay after purchasing a clearly restricted, heavily discounted ticket.

Incorrect information AC personnel
Nothing. They provided you with accurate information. The DGLOB34 ticket is clearly marked as valid on oneworld carriers only; all marketing materials associated with the fare also state the same thing.

Moreover, the rule 240 currently published by AA does not allow for reaccommodation on another carrier unless a special protection agreement exists (as they state, this may happen when they terminate service entirely between two points).

Complaining about employees performing their job correctly probably isn't going to get you anything.

Delay of 3 hours
Not much, if anything. This happens quite a bit in the world of airtravel. Besides, you got in much, much sooner than if AA were to have followed the rules of the deep discount fare you purchased.

Getting 3 FC seats when we were due 5
I assume this refers to FC seats on NW, when, in actuality, you weren't due any seats of any sort whatsoever on NW.

As you appear to want to make sure everything is done according to what each party is entitled to, you may want to cut AA a check in the amount of $2,507.80 for the value of the three first class seats to which you were not entitled plus an additional plus $1,489.20 for the two coach seats or $3,997.20 in total. (This was computed using day of departure fares... AA receives a substantial discount, so their out-of-pocket is much less... maybe the right amount to hand over to AA is only $1,000 - $2,000).

[I agree with Dave Noble that the theoretical value is 0]
Well, it's more than theoretical. If anything, it is you who theoretically owes AA some money.

As you were (correctly) told by the AAdmirals Club folks (who, I suspect, see a lot more of the RTW tickets than the typical AAgent), you were not entitled to reaccommodation on another air carrier. Instead of accepting their answer as the final word, you "shopped around" and evidently were lucky enough to stumble on a less experienced agent, who you were able to persuade to accommodate you (hey I don't blame you, I might have tried it myself).

As a result of your persistence, you were able to receive several thousand dollars worth of tickets on another airline to which you were not entitled.

Not only that, three of the passengers got to experience first class all the way to TVC (one of things you kind of gloss over in your account is the fact that AA doesn't even offer first class service to TVC, whereas NW does). Fair enough, so far.

What I don't understand is why you now seem to be trying to prepare for a campaign to extract yet more "goodies" out of AA.

If I were you, I'd be high-fiving myself for having pulled one over on the inexperienced AA agent. What more are you expecting/demanding?

Last edited by HKG_Flyer1; Nov 26, 2006 at 5:53 pm
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I am currently at DFW with paid FC AA seats.

Due to a mechanical delay I want to be put on NWA.

NWA has FC class seats.

AA says they can only confirm coach on NWA for me.

Is this right? How do I ask? Who do I ask?

What will happen to my value of the FC class tickets?
I flew on Tuesday with an "A" fare (domestic segment of an Int'l J fare). My flight from DTW-ORD was delayed and they put me on NW. At first they told me that I was only entitled to Coach since this was "an upgrade fare" -- after some discussion they acknowledged it was a paid First Class ticket, called NW back, and booked me in "P" which was a NW First Class bucket.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 8:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Lightbulb FYI: AA Rule 80 and Rule 240 on aa.com

http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Boo...e_240_80.jhtml
Old Nov 26, 2006, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by cmhua777
I flew on Tuesday with an "A" fare (domestic segment of an Int'l J fare). My flight from DTW-ORD was delayed and they put me on NW. At first they told me that I was only entitled to Coach since this was "an upgrade fare" -- after some discussion they acknowledged it was a paid First Class ticket, called NW back, and booked me in "P" which was a NW First Class bucket.
I think what you might be confusing here is the difference between your fare basis and inventory booking code. The fare basis can be a several alpha-numeric code (i.e. JR, AONE4, H26Z, KEE45, etc., etc.). These, in turn, book into a variety of different inventory buckets (A, F, Y, J, H, X, T, etc., etc.) all of which are designated by a single letter.

Usually, but not always, the inventory bucket used is the same as the first letter of the fare basis. Within each inventory bucket (in this case A), there are a wide variety of fares with different conditions attached. Sometimes they can be upgrades, sometimes full fare, sometimes endorseable to other carriers, sometimes not.

The inventory bucket (represented by a single letter) is of no use in determining the endorseability of AA tickets; it is only the fare basis (usually multi-character) that matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.