Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

are children allowed in elite lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2006, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

I am reading conflicting information on the Delta website, or maybe I'm just not
clear on the differences between kinds of lounges. (I was unsure if the
"children" forum would be the best place to post this, or the Delta elite
forum, but I am hoping people will see it here.) I could not find this exact
question asked in the archives.

The Crown Room is restricted to over-21, presumably for alcohol-liability etc.
reasons. However, are there business-elite lounges that are not Crown
Rooms for same-day premium-class Delta travellers? And if so, are there any age
restrictions on these? And are they worthwhile? We will be waiting for
varying amounts of time in: Boston, JFK, and Prague.

Does anyone have BTDT's with kids in such lounges? When we've flown
premium in the past, it has never been on Delta, and we have never had a
long enough layover to enter one of the lounges.

Thanks!!

--LG
Old Nov 26, 2006, 9:21 am

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
As long as the kids are accompanied by someone older than 21, you will be fine.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 3:55 pm

Programs: Various
As a sort of follow-up question, does anyone have any experience with whether a kid needs a daypass to go into a lounge with a member? I'm contemplating signing up for the USAir club for the next year, but I would like to be able to use it when traveling with my 3yo as well as by myself.

Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As stated, the policy has to do wth being accompanied. Regarding US, while I am not faniliar with their lounges generally with most of these memberships you can bring someone else with you, I have found that when the limit is one, no airline employee from any airline will deny your minor child's entrance as well.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 5:42 pm

We travel as a family with 3 kids and have never been denied access.

Whenever we travel as a larger group (for instance, with another couple in addition to our 5 people) my husband (the Club member) will go into the Club in advance and ask if it is ok to bring in our family and my-in laws, for instance, for a total of 7. We've never been denied. However on our last visit through FLL, he asked and was granted access for 7 of us. Soon thereafter, a gentleman came in with a rather large party and was told that he could only bring in one guest.

Originally Posted by lg10
... And are they worthwhile? We will be waiting for
--LG
Delta's JFK Business Elite Lounge has a small array of snacks (usually one or two warm hors d'oeuvres depending on the time of day), cheese, crackers and fresh veggies, apples and Biscoff cookies; thats about it. No lavish spread like some lounges.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except that by US standards that is considered lavish, this isn't the F section of CX's Wing or Pier that we're talking about.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:26 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
It's been my experience that such issues are best sovled with the three "R"s of dealing with airlines: Reasonability, Respect and Request.

Reasonability: If you want to bring 20 people in, that's going to be tough to swing. At that point you should consider offering to buy a day pass or two. When inside, don't all go up to the bar / snack area / bathroom at once. Don't take the last of ANYTHING.

Respect: Don't treat the airlines of lounge employees with anything less than your best behavior. Keep ALL children VERY well controlled and QUIET. Blnd in, be so unobtrusive that no one knows you're there.

Request: ASK. Call ahead of time and explain what's going on and ASK if you can do this or ASK how you can make these arrangements. Don't act like it's your birthright, your legal right or even the right thing to do. If oyu show up all at once unanncounced you put the front line emplpoyee on the spot. Call ahead, talk to the manager and then have his name. They are in a service industry and they know it plenty well, but that doesn't make them 18th century house slaves. There are exceptions to every rule, ask them to make one. Be genuinely thankful and say so. Give them the opportunity to do a service for a customer and they will almost always do so as long as it's reasonable...and many times they will bend over backwards to make it happen for you.

You would be absolutely shocked to see how far a sincere "good morning / afternoon / evening", a smile and a relaxed tone will get you with a service employee who had been through the grease all day long. Phrase things as "could you possibly", "is there anyw ay" and "It would really help me out if" instead of "I want"s.

Rememebr, a politician is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you pack for the trip and stop the newspaper.

--PP
Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VideoPaul
It's been my experience that such issues are best sovled with the three "R"s of dealing with airlines: Reasonability, Respect and Request.

--PP
All excellent advice in so many areas of life....

In my original question, I'm not sure that we would be asking for
an exception since we're all "elite" that day, but that doesn't mean
we wouldn't be good citizens in every way; we will!

--LG
Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
I am reading conflicting information on the Delta website, or maybe I'm just not
clear on the differences between kinds of lounges. (I was unsure if the
"children" forum would be the best place to post this, or the Delta elite
forum, but I am hoping people will see it here.) I could not find this exact
question asked in the archives.

The Crown Room is restricted to over-21, presumably for alcohol-liability etc.
reasons. However, are there business-elite lounges that are not Crown
Rooms for same-day premium-class Delta travellers? And if so, are there any age
restrictions on these? And are they worthwhile? We will be waiting for

Does anyone have BTDT's with kids in such lounges? When we've flown
premium in the past, it has never been on Delta, and we have never had a
long enough layover to enter one of the lounges.

Thanks!!

--LG
Not just allowed, the SK lounge at Heathrow has a children's play area.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Lounges have been wonderful for us - a great place for the kids to relax and unwind before a flight. I love the ones that have "family" rooms. Then I know we aren't disturbing others who may not appreciate having children in the lounges.

VideoPaul, great post! ^
Old Nov 29, 2006, 1:29 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Our kids enjoy the lounges - if they feel welcome and the lounge is not very crowded. Sometimes they want to leave immediately - and I can't even blame them!
Old Nov 29, 2006, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsastor
Our kids enjoy the lounges - if they feel welcome and the lounge is not very crowded. Sometimes they want to leave immediately - and I can't even blame them!
Because of crowds?

(Is there a play area in the JFK one?)

--LG
Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:36 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Because of crowds?

--LG
Yeah, if we can't sit together they aint staying! And sometimes the welcome is so cold they don't want to stay anyway (even if there is free coke and chips).
Old Nov 30, 2006, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsastor
Yeah, if we can't sit together they aint staying! And sometimes the welcome is so cold they don't want to stay anyway (even if there is free coke and chips).
Oh...rats, I was hoping the "cold welcome" would not be true. Well, I
suppose it might not, on any given day.

Mmmm...free coke and chips....[Homer Simpson drooling]

--LG
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:48 am

Because of crowds?

--LG
I've never seen the JFK lounge crowded, though I'm sure it is occasionally, I have just never been there at that time....usually it's just us and a few businessmen, maybe one other family.

No, they don't have a play area there. Delta's Crown Room in Orlando is one of the few I've seen with a play area.

I've also never noticed a cold welcome at any Crown Room, certainly not from any DL employees. Of course, when you travel with kids, there are always fellow travelers who give you that "oh no, please don't sit near me" look. I always figure that my kids good behavior will allay their worries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.