Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers who don't turn off their devices

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2006, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott SIL, Hyatt GLD
Passengers who don't turn off their devices

On two recent flights, I've noticed that nearby passengers have not turned off their electronic devices as requested prior to takeoff. One left on a blackberry and the other an ipod. Would you have said something? To the passenger or the FA?
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
Originally Posted by ORDinary Gold
On two recent flights, I've noticed that nearby passengers have not turned off their electronic devices as requested prior to takeoff. One left on a blackberry and the other an ipod. Would you have said something? To the passenger or the FA?
You weren't flying from BOS to LAX on Friday night by any chance? I was the blackberry and next to me was the iPod. just kidding *unless you were on that flight*

actually I wouldn't have said anything to either one, because its a useless rule to begin with, so who am I to help the man by adding to the beauracracy... I'd probably draw the line at making phone calls from the plane. There was a recent study that showed that an average of 2-3 calls were made from airplanes per flight... that includes data calls that may be someone sending an email on their BB, etc.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:04 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
What a ridiculous rule. I always use my ipod if not told directly to shut it off. An ipod will not bring down a 737.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:05 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
As a pilot, I have seen firsthand cell (Nextel) issues with my GPS, but I dont think it is really a problem with most airlines, but when they say turn it off, you should turn it off.

Funny story, just this last summer the guy behind me would not turn off his cell phone during takeoff and the stewerdess let him have it. the jerk then asked the guy sitting next to him if he was selfish. The guy proceeded to tell him he was an idiot, but did it in a professional, tackfull manner that I could not have put so eloquently. Since he was out of my view I could only draw a face to match the voice and I kept coming up with Elliott Gould. when I got off the plane (SWA - LAX-OAK) I noticed it was in fact Elliot Gould. I stood next to him while waiting for our baggage and told him what a great job he did in putting this guy in his place.

On the outbound flight there were 3 "Oakland" residents on our OAK to LAX and their phone rang on take off. My 130lb wife began to verbally assault them for even having it on. Suprisingly, they apologized and turned it off. I thought there was going to be problems with this one...

Needless to say, if they say turn it off it is for a reason, wheather you disagree or not, this is their rule. If you dont like dont fly them.

Jim
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:21 pm

If you don't turn it off.

If you don't turn off the phones then the FAA will be greeting you at your destination. Furthermore the crew has the right to take away your phone until arrival for safety reasons. Live with it when they say turn your devices to "Airplane Mode" or off you'd better do it especially on EL AL where they mean it.

God almighty why do we need to use our cells 24/7? I use it before and after the flight so why can't y'all do the same? Is it too much to ask lol?Is your job on the line when you miss that oh so important email? I mean your boss knowes your in the air so he won't expect a reply right away. And no your honey or kids will wait.

Good luck.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by danielonn
If you don't turn off the phones then the FAA will be greeting you at your destination.
Are these special agents from the FAA?
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Global Services , Marriott Platinum
I was on a flight recently (BOS-LAX) where the FAs didn't even do a final check before landing. In first class, a guy still used his laptop all the way through landing and taxi! He finally put it into Hibernate when the door opened and it was time to get off. I was pretty surprised, but the FAs paid no attention. The lights were dimmed for an evening landing, so the bright blue haze was pretty noticeable. Of course, I was still listening to my IPod, so I'm not one to judge...
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Considering that some airlines already offer onboard Wi-Fi while others are planning to offer onboard cell phone service, it's hard to believe that anyone actually thinks these devices are a threat.

Sure, during an ILS Category III landing in very bad weather, it's probably best if everyone turns off devices with transmitters, for superstition's sake if nothing else. But the idea that your iPod is ever going to cause a problem is simply laughable.

I think the real reason they want these devices off is so you are not distracted in case there is a need for an evacuation. There's really no scientific case for telling people to turn off anything other than devices with transmitters, and then only during during non-visual approaches in bad weather.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Dumb rule, but I still don't want cells on during flight. Still the rule should be complied with.

Just speculating but what if an electronic device interferes with navigation 1 in 100,000 times? Or if having 50 of them on at a time creates a problem?

To me it's similar to people who try and hide their bags behind their legs. The odds are we won't have to evacuate the plane, but if we do they've endangered other people.

Last point to consider on cell/laptop usage. If a plane does crash on landing or take off all those things become missiles in the cabin.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:45 pm

Sure its the rule, and that we have to abide by them, and of course we do. The question of the OP though is not whether you should or do do it, its whether you would go as far as to report them and/or tell them to turn it off. Airlines also have a rule about having your seat upright during takeoff and landing. If my neighbor's seat is 1 inch back, am I going to call over the F/A to get him off the plane.

Plus if there was a policing force (sure we're entering the realm of awesome sci-fi movies of guys with dB signal detectors), wouldn't it be FCC enforcement agents, since its the FCC that controls that sort of thing....
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDinary Gold
No, I'm a firm believer in the MYOB school of thought.

Other transgressions I do not enforce include carryons/luggage/purses in exit rows; seat belt usage; and congregating by the galleys or lavs. I leave the enforcement of the FAA's silly rules to those best suited to enforce them - the elderly matrons patrolling the aisles to check on everyone's seatbelts.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Several years ago, a WN flight from SAT to DAL couldn't land because a cell phone interfered with the flight nav. The pilot turned the plane around and returned to SAT. The offending pax was found and arrested.. Follow instructions or take the chance...and I will call the FA.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by AA53
Several years ago, a WN flight from SAT to DAL couldn't land because a cell phone interfered with the flight nav. The pilot turned the plane around and returned to SAT. The offending pax was found and arrested.. Follow instructions or take the chance...and I will call the FA.
I have a hard time believing that. Sounds like burning the witches to me. To that pilot the difference between causation and correlation are non-existent, and as soon as they saw someone on their cell phone they assumed it was the cause of the issue.

Again, I (and a few companies looking to make bids for open sky micro-cells) have trouble seeing how a cell phone in anyone sitting as close as 1A could interfere with the nav control, unless its the pilot's phone and he had it resting comfortably on top of his console.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
I not only turn off my cell phone and computer, but I cross my fingers and count backwards from 1000. It is also important not to step on any cracks between landing an baggage claim.

Actually, I do turn off all devices out of respect for the poor souls whose job it is to enforce these silly rules. We have all seen so many who do not follow the rules and yet we reach the correct airport anyway ...
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold VIP
I frequently leave my cell phone on and almost always leave my computer in standby mode.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.