Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Calgary REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2006, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador

Preface: Had some credit on AS that was going to expire. Always curious about Calgary.

Rate: Around $120 CAD on AAA.

Transportation: My flight was delayed out of SEA and I got stuck in immigration explaining I was a one day tourist. I had decided the Airporter Shuttle Express would be the best option. $14 CAD one way and $20 CAD roundtrip. I called and asked if it was necessary to make a reservation and was told no. That was a mistake. No shuttles were available for my return so I decided to cab it both ways. I was already way behind schedule. The rate was $30 CAD plus tip.

ATM at YYC. Upon exiting immigration break a hard left. Follow the glass towards the gift shop/market. The ATM will be on a wall to your right. The Travelex was a rip.

Parking: not used

Check-in: I used the web checkin to get the WEBPDA bonus. I learned in addition to entering this code you should also enter any other bonus codes such as G2 for this stay. Believe it or not the machine worked when I arrived. The agent approached me and made sure I had a good room. I received a room on the 21st floor. I had to ask for Club access and was also given to full buffet breakfast coupons since I was on a AAA rate. Will not get a chance to try that. I picked the points as my amenity.

The Club is on 18. Upon exiting the elevators head to the right towards the guest rooms. The Club requires a key to access. The Club has a computer with HSIA and a printer. I used the printer to print my boarding passes. During the afternoon the lounge had some light items along with soft drinks. It is a nice size Club. During the evening one hot item, one cold items and finger desserts were served. No host bar. Pleasant staff.

Perks: as noted above I had a bottle of water in my room along with a note from the Club staff stating the presentations.

Room: I have a very comfortable room. Upon entering you come onto new carpet. To your left is a wall with a mirror and wood shelf to place things on. Kinda like home. Follow that wall and I have a decent size window looking onto the CN Tower. A desk is under the window with a lamp, plenty of plugs and adjustable chair. I have a side chair with an entertainment center following. A small table sits by a much larger window looking onto the city. I have a comfy chair and ottoman. Nightstands flank my king bed followed by the closet. The bathroom has a tile floor and good sized with tub/shower combo. A small table accents the bathroom. Well lighted. A very comfortable room.

Internet: The Hotel has wired HSIA for $12.50 CAD. This is for hotel period of stay. So I would assume until noon tomorrow. A short cable is in the desk. Bring your own if you want length.

Gym: The pool and gym are on 18. Opposite side of the floor from Club. You need your key to access any floor in the Hotel except the lobby.

Spa: I did not try this but a lady I spoke with in the elevator said it was excellent. Spa is on 2.

Eating venues: Either in the Hotel or just walk out the door. Many.

Local markets: I did see a small shop on Stephen Avenue.

Local area: Perfect just to walk around town.

Negatives: NONE. How do you like that. The rate, points, room, Club, service and hospitable staff make this a sure winner if you are in Calgary. I walked around all afternoon. Noted the Starwoods, Fairmont and Marriott. This looks to be the best.

Closing: If I had reason to be in Calgary again I would definitely stay here. A great product at a fair price. Calgary is nice but one solid night is enough for me. Regards from Calgary.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Sounds like a standard stay at the Calgary Hyatt

Of course should you ever want to come back midweek don't forget to bring an extra $200

I'll be there this week but only for one night as they were sold out for night 2 since 4 months ago. Tim Horton's convention in town!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 1:36 pm

4+ years without a review of this property is too long

Stayed at this property a few weekends ago Sat-Sun

Used the special Zoo rate which included

king room
underground parking
cookies and milk
zoo tickets
breakfast for 4

The room was nice and in a corner of the building. The bed was a bit
spongy, but all in all ok. The room was very very clean.
The tv remote control did not work but a call to the front desk
brought maintenance and a functioning remote in a few minutes.
Breakfast at Thomsons in the hotel was great. I highly recommend the
breakfast buffet if you are staying at the Calgary Hyatt or even
just in Calgary. I didnt get to use the pool or fitness facility, maybe next time
The staff were friendly and at the front desk they thanked me for my loyalty to Hyatt.

All in all it was a good experience, I will be back to mattress run a few
days in the near future when there are cheap Sat nights.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: AC E, Priority Club Plat, Hyatt Plat
We got upgraded as GP Plat to a club room .

The club lounge is newly renovated and offers much better breakfast items than before (including a hot item).

Services are excellent throughout the hotel, including in their Thomson restaurant. IMHO, the buffet breakfast is nothing special, but their weekend brunch buffet is much better and worth the extra $.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, ANA Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Used Chase Card suite upgrade. Suites were full so scored the Presidential Suite. Lucky! Very nice room! Will post pictures if anyone is interested.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Was there a couple of weeks ago, and was upgraded to the boardroom suite with a big living room, 8-person table, wet bar, three bathrooms, and a separate bedroom. Great room, but I have no idea what normal rooms are like.

The Club was good, with hot and cold items for breakfast and dinner.

The workout area has a city view.

My experience was great, but I'm biased by the huge suite.

I check the Hyatt each trip, and it is consistently more expensive than the Marriott a block away, and sometimes considerably more expensive. Overall, the Hyatt is probably a better hotel, but if you have status at Marriott, they treat you very well, the lounge is great too, and I typically get a nice suite there as well.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:09 pm

I stayed here for two stays in the past week or so.

The hotel is located in downtown near the edge of chinatown. It had a decent location but we were just passing through to and from Banff/Jasper. The hotel itself was relatively clean (I am sometimes nit-picky about cleanliness and can see things that other people don't normally see) and the hotel staff is very friendly.

On the first stay, we were upgraded to the Presidential Suite which was a very nice touch! This suite was great and had more than we had hoped for. It had a nice master bathroom with a washroom near the foyer. Great bedroom with an office + PC. There was a livingroom/dining room + kitchen/bar. The only complaint is that the room seemed to be a little run down (a broken blind and the PC had to be fixed up by me). Furniture also seemed to be a little worn but that's about it! We had a second room (double queen) which was very clean and modern. Our second stay was just a normal suite + double queen room. No complaints in terms of room condition, cleanness, etc.

The Hyatt gym was decent (nice equipment and room). Weights, balls, modern scale, lots of cardio equipment, etc. The pool was under renovations but they had arrangements for us to use the Marriott which we didn't use. The Regency Club was slightly smaller than what i'm used to but it doesn't appear there was much traffic anyway. On the first stay, we didn't see anyone else besides the staff in the evening + breakfast. On our second stay, we only saw two families for breakfast. They had warm and cold items, tea/coffee, etc.

The biggest complaint is that we had a mix-up on our reservations for both of our stays (long story). I booked a complex reservation though so expected some trouble. Nevertheless, Hyatt had great customer service for this diamond member (which is the reason I chose Hyatt in the first place) and exceeded my expectations in resolving the matter!

Overall, I had great (brief) stays at this Hyatt and will gladly use it again if I pass through the area.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I was here on a quick 1 night stay and got a free upgrade to the same boardroom suite as a Diamond... Room was very nice, and as mentioned has an 8 person dining table and 3 bathrooms. Anyone know what the regular diamond suite upgrade gets you here? Is it this suite?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt

EDIT: Stayed over NYE and it was a wonderful stay. Great staff. Diamond breakfast was really nice. Nice room but with a sort of weird layout for a corner room (wasted space). Didn't get to the lounge because it was closed but was provided vouchers for the bar. Nice appetizers. Cold beer. The tram line is virtually outside the door - around the corner. Saddle Dome close enough to walk. Lots of walkable things in the area. If I am ever in YYC again, I would stay here again.

Any recent stays? There are a few HR Calgary threads but this one has the most recent posts (recent being a relative term). Diamond treatment? Lounge? In regards to the lounge, more akin to a US lounge or a int'l lounge (knowing YYC is int'l - don't believe that I've been in a Canadian Hyatt lounge). Transport via bus to downtown -correct?

I have NYE booked, akin to a fellow FTer in one of the relevant threads. I understand the cold and am looking forward to it albeit a few weather reports have the temp higher than expected.

Cheers

Last edited by thegrailer; Jan 24, 2015 at 4:33 pm
Old May 17, 2015, 2:31 pm

Thinking about staying there in a few weeks... would appreciate it if anybody who stayed their recently has any updates. Especially interested in treatment for diamonds, quality of the lounge, and experiences with parking. Thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Stayed here last week. As a Globalist we were upgraded to a Regency Suite prior to check-in without my having to do nothing. The suite was very nice and was appreciated, but it did consist of two connecting rooms one of which was the bedroom and the other was the living room. This is a beautiful hotel in a great location and the front desk staff we very friendly and helpful. The club is relatively small and we only had breakfast there. Scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage were offered along with an assortment of breads and pastries. We would definitely stay there again.
Old May 5, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Stayed for four nights in late April 2018.

Very good location in downtown Calgary. Kind of a "grand old dame" hotel, with lots of classy and old fashioned finishes and features in the public areas. Rooms are similarly classy/old fashioned but I wanted for nothing in mine. Thermostat was a little sensitive, and that is truly the only thing I can think of in the room to quibble with. There's sort of an odd setup where the main restaurant is only open for breakfast and lunch, but the bar/lounge with outdoor patio has a decent dinner menu and the service is very good.

Speaking of service - truly outstanding across the board. Prompt, pleasant, proactive. Absolutely a delightful experience on that front.

Globalist thoughts: used a TSU and was upgraded to what apparently is the standard suite, which was enormous (there were no fewer than 16 seating options in the suite living room). Turndown service provided every night. More bottles of water provided than I could drink in a week. Very good lounge for a North American Regency, with multiple hot options at both breakfast and dinner and attentive lounge service. Only request would be to mix up the breakfast offerings which were the same each day.

Would be a pleasure to return.
Old May 5, 2018, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by dpb132

Very good location in downtown Calgary. Kind of a "grand old dame" hotel, with lots of classy and old fashioned finishes and features in the public areas. Rooms are similarly classy/old fashioned but I wanted for nothing in mine. Thermostat was a little sensitive, and that is truly the only thing I can think of in the room to quibble with. There's sort of an odd setup where the main restaurant is only open for breakfast and lunch, but the bar/lounge with outdoor patio has a decent dinner menu and the service is very good.

Speaking of service - truly outstanding across the board. Prompt, pleasant, proactive. Absolutely a delightful experience on that front.

Globalist thoughts: used a TSU and was upgraded to what apparently is the standard suite, which was enormous (there were no fewer than 16 seating options in the suite living room). Turndown service provided every night. More bottles of water provided than I could drink in a week. Very good lounge for a North American Regency, with multiple hot options at both breakfast and dinner and attentive lounge service. Only request would be to mix up the breakfast offerings which were the same each day.

I don't think you had a "standard suite"- with what you describe you were upgraded to a huge suite, Good for you !! Happy to hear that the property took good care of you. We had no complaints.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dpb132

Staying here later this week. Used a TSU as well. Do you recall what the standard suite is called per the hotel? My reservation now lists "1 plush king bed:Floors 4-17:400 sq ft: City view:Work area:" as the room description, room type is "1 King Bed".

Also, I assume parking is free for Globalists here?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Staying here later this week. Used a TSU as well. Do you recall what the standard suite is called per the hotel? My reservation now lists "1 plush king bed:Floors 4-17:400 sq ft: City view:Work area:" as the room description, room type is "1 King Bed".

Also, I assume parking is free for Globalists here?
See my review four reviews up. Without a further upgrade you'll get a Regency Club Suite. It is simply two connecting rooms, one of which has been made into a living room. Globalists don't get free parking anywhere unless they are on a free night award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.