Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

MaxJet Here I come - What Would You Have Done?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador

So I need to be in NY in early December for some meetings. The SZG 'do' means I can't do what I normally would and fly out on Saturday to get a cheaper MFU'd fare, and the ridiculous NY hotel prices that time of year make staying over the following Saturday uneconomical, leaving me with the option of full fare tickets for a short mid-week trip

BA Y is about 900 quid and moving swiftly on to actually more realistic seating options W is about 1400. There is LOADS of U class on the way back, but none on the way out (Sun/Mon). ex-EU trips in W priced up about the same as ex-LON or more when you factor in the hassle (and still suffer from MFU availability one way only).

Frantically checking Opodo/Expedia/Travelocity/Lastminute for a BA or decent Star Alliance option in Club or something better than Y at least, I spy Expedia offering MaxJet for 600 quid all in, no Saturday night stay required (and changeable for 60 UKP too). A little digging reveals this is their special 2006 Anniversary fare and very nice it is too - when booked through MaxJet's site it comes to 598.10 with no extra fees!

So what would the other BA die-hards here have done? It basically boils down to (13,000 miles + 150 TPs) - (12,500 or 25,000 miles to MFU) for 1400 quid (i.e. virtually zero or negative miles!). Or zero TPs and miles but guaranteed J for 600 quid. It feels kind of weird holding a booking for which I get no real FF points apart from on the credit card purchase (yes, I've joined their scheme anyway though, of course ) and very weird holding a non-BA (let alone non-oneworld!) longhaul booking...but I am also looking forward to trying something new Less looking forward to getting anywhere near STN, but needs must

Thoughts?

Phil
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:34 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Traitor
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm scum, I knew it!
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:36 am

Programs: BA , HH, PC RA
For 600 quid go for it.
I bet they dont serve Monopole.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
You might want to do something if you have an hour free.

Run a quick search in the forum on MaxJet and look at all the FT'ers who dismissed them out of hand as being a failed operation before they even started etc etc etc.

I'd have done exactly the same thing as you, despite STN being a bit of a pain for me to get to (approx 2hrs by road vs 1hr to LHR).
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:37 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I would have done the same if I didn't need the TP's.

I do have great difficulty booking any flights where I can't earn miles on though.

Although I have been know to do just that from time to time.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Run a quick search in the forum on MaxJet and look at all the FT'ers who dismissed them out of hand as being a failed operation before they even started etc etc etc.
Let's not tempt fate here please, Swiss Tony - they have to hold out until December 7th at least, thank you

Moomba - indeed. Hopefully I will not need the 150 TPs so I felt I could sacrifice those this time. That made the choice easier given an MFU would have wiped out the miles earned (or more) too.

Should be different at any rate. I've seen some TRs but I will report back on anything interesting!
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
So I need to be in NY in early December for some meetings. The SZG 'do' means I can't do what I normally would and fly out on Saturday to get a cheaper MFU'd fare, and the ridiculous NY hotel prices that time of year make staying over the following Saturday uneconomical, leaving me with the option of full fare tickets for a short mid-week trip

BA Y is about 900 quid and moving swiftly on to actually more realistic seating options W is about 1400. There is LOADS of U class on the way back, but none on the way out (Sun/Mon). ex-EU trips in W priced up about the same as ex-LON or more when you factor in the hassle (and still suffer from MFU availability one way only).

Frantically checking Opodo/Expedia/Travelocity/Lastminute for a BA or decent Star Alliance option in Club or something better than Y at least, I spy Expedia offering MaxJet for 600 quid all in, no Saturday night stay required (and changeable for 60 UKP too). A little digging reveals this is their special 2006 Anniversary fare and very nice it is too - when booked through MaxJet's site it comes to 598.10 with no extra fees!

So what would the other BA die-hards here have done? It basically boils down to (13,000 miles + 150 TPs) - (12,500 or 25,000 miles to MFU) for 1400 quid (i.e. virtually zero or negative miles!). Or zero TPs and miles but guaranteed J for 600 quid. It feels kind of weird holding a booking for which I get no real FF points apart from on the credit card purchase (yes, I've joined their scheme anyway though, of course ) and very weird holding a non-BA (let alone non-oneworld!) longhaul booking...but I am also looking forward to trying something new Less looking forward to getting anywhere near STN, but needs must

Thoughts?

Phil
Sorry to go off on a tangent here, but how do you check U and Z availability other than on the BA site?

Also apparently Maxjet is very nice although of course seats are not flat beds. The fares are great though and you can also get Ł400 one way. So you could do Maxjet one way and then get a Ł500 WT+ fare MFU the other way. ^
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Abstract1
Sorry to go off on a tangent here, but how do you check U and Z availability other than on the BA site?
You don't
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Abstract1

Also apparently Maxjet is very nice although of course seats are not flat beds. The fares are great though and you can also get Ł400 one way. So you could do Maxjet one way and then get a Ł500 WT+ fare MFU the other way. ^
U and Z availability indications are available via Expert Flyer. Why do 400 GBP OW and then pay another 500 GBP for WTP (total 1100 GBP) the other and use valuable MFU miles when for 600 GBP all up you get J in both directions? Am I missing something here?
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:57 am
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
U and Z availability indications are available via Expert Flyer.
For QF yes, for BA no .
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:58 am

U and Z availability indications are available via Expert Flyer. Why do 400 GBP OW and then pay another 500 GBP for WTP (total 1100 GBP) the other and use valuable MFU miles when for 600 GBP all up you get J in both directions? Am I missing something here?
Nope your not missing anything....Was just a suggestion in case he didnt want to do maxjet both ways, and wanted points etc. for BA
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

U and Z availability indications are available via Expert Flyer.
Not for BA sadly - only BA agents/systems can see their award buckets (X/P/U/Z respectively, just for completeness). Hence you have to check on ba.com yourself (or ask a oneworld partner if you're in another FFP).
Old Sep 20, 2006, 9:30 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
GBOAC -Some of our Associates out at Canary Wharf have flown Max and they actually quite like it. Apparantly the hike to STN is more convenient for them too.

I'm sure it will be fine. Ignoring the miles, the only disadvantage that I can see is if there is some technical difficulty with the plane. You'll be stuck waiting for a flight as they won't put you on AAnother airline or have another plane to substitute. You'll have to stay put until they fix it. Unlikely thought as i hear their reliability is pretty good.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

VC10 Boy - yes, that had crossed my mind. But it is what it is...maybe they'd rebook me in the worst case, who knows. Hopefully a moot point though

STN is a PITA to get to from Waterloo though...since when is an 'Express' 45 minutes 'on average'? I will survive though, I'm sure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.