Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-CDG-BOS on AF 31AUG03-04SEP03

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:01 am
Original Poster

BOS-CDG-BOS on AF 31AUG03-04SEP03

Hello everyone ... this is my first time posting on FlyerTalk. I will be sharing a series of trip reports and hope they are interesting and informative for you all. Best, airchristophe.

31AUG03 BOS-CDG
AF321 Gate C-31
A330 F-GZCF
Sked departure: 19h55 local
Acutal departure: 20h00 local
Sked arrival: 08h45 local
Actual arrival: 08h31 local
seats 2A / 2F

Finally found some time off after working for 2 months straight (no long weekends or anything), so I decided to take a trip to Paris with a buddy of mine. The flight was originally booked at 00-30-178 for 06-42-163, so not entirely overbooked, so I was surprised when we still managed to fill up business class. Fortunately, I was travelling on a good priority of passes, one that allows me to be upgraded ... and the upgrade was indeed given. Although my buddy and I were separated, we were still comfortable in 2A and 2E respectively. Was lucky as well to have flown on the A330 as it was my first time. BOS saw an aircraft change from the A340 for only 5 days was fortunate to hop on the A330 on its last day of the equipment change.

Boarding started a tad later than scheduled as the plane had already arrived a little late from Paris. The crew boarded and were very efficient in their pre-flight checks and boarding was underway at 19h25. The boarding went relatively fast considering J and Y were both full. After the mandatory head count, the door was closed at 19h54, but we did not push until 20h00. A quick "welcome service" of OJ / water / champagne was done before takeoff ... A fast taxi out to 22R had us on our way to CDG with an arrival estimated for 10 minutes ahead of schedule inspite of our 5 min late departure bloc.

Turbulence for about 30 minutes after takeoff prevented the beginning of any service, which the Captain gracefully informed us about after 10 minutes. Dinner service started as quickly as possible after the turbulence (night flight services are shorter and faster so as to allow people to rest). They first serve the appetizer on the tray with the cheese and dessert already on it. They then replace the appetizer plate with the main plate. The menu was as follows:

-Hors d'oeuvre: Lobster served with mango
-Choice of main courses: Tournedos of beef
Salmon Beggar's Purse
-Cheese plate already on the tray (three types not listed on the menu)
-Coffee gateau

Service wise, I was a bit disappointed. When the f/a returned to replace my appetizer plate with my hot plate, he did not offer more to drink nor did he offer more bread (which is standard). I really could have used some more bread for my cheese! LOL ... but I absolutely hate ringing the call button, so I dealt with it.

Another disappointing aspect of the flight was that NONE of the films were present. The regular news magazines on channels 1-5 were there, but none of the films. At BOS, we had had F-GZCF 3 days in a row and all 3 days the crews had said the video was a mess, but after a quick talk with our mechanic he had said the video should be fine ... but it clearly was not. What was even more disappointing was that the crew never made any announcement about the video being inop. BUT, I do realize that I was a company-passenger so I should not have been expecting so much, but it's not so much for me as for the rest of the paying passgengers on board!

In any case, the rest of the flight went on without a hitch ... breakfast was served about one hour before landing. The little "viennoiseries" and croissants are always good, with a nice cup of dark French coffee, yogurt, and fresh fruit.

Upon arrival, the plane actually parked at 2A instead of the scheduled 2E. Not sure how that went over with the rest of the passengers. I was somewhat disappointed because 2A was kind of dumpy and I was looking forward to arriving into the new 2E, but oh well. It took a while for me to get my bag because there were 3 other flights that had arrived at the same time PLUS some smart person had abandoned his bag at the check-in counter, which prevented us from leaving the customs area. (When there is an abandoned bag, the surrounding area is cleared and a little robot explodes the bag.)
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:02 am
Original Poster

04SEP03 CDG-BOS
AF332 Gate E-47
B777 F-GSPA
Sked. departure: 13h15
Actual departure: 13h35
Sked. arrival: 15h00
Actual arrival: 15h41
Seats 10E / 10F

I should have flown out of 2E on the original date of inauguration (17JUN03), but everyone knows that did not happen. So I finally got my chance this time and was impressed. Straight forward check-in at area 3, right through passport control and security without a hitch ... to gate E-47, boarding by bus, ew lol. Everything went as it should have ... the boarding by bus took perhaps a little while, but it didn't matter because the flight was eventually delayed b/c of waiting for bags. Of course once we pushed back, we taxied out to the Eastern runways, which makes no sense since we would have cut our taxi-time in 1/2 by going to the Western runways lol. Oh well. At least during taxi we were graced with a service of hot towels and the choice of OJ / Champagne.

A fast climb to 10,000 feet and the seatbelt sign was immediately extinguished. The crews were also right out with an "aperitif", drinks of choice accompanied by the famous Fauchon cheese-crepes. Of course, immediately following, the appetizer service, followed by the main course, followed by cheese, followed by dessert and coffee/tea. In contrast to the dinner service, everything is served in courses, i.e. separately. The entire lunch service probably takes a good 2 hours! The menu was as follows:

Choice of hors d'oeuvre: Medallion of duck foie gras with onion marmalade
Shrimp marinated with coriander and tomato-zucchini
galette with basil

Choice of main courses (3): pan seared noisette of lamb
filet of cod with shellfish sauce / orzo
filet of free-range chicken with demi-glace sauce

Cheese: camembert, bleu d'Auvergne, banon

Choice of desserts: Opera cake, strawberry cream cake, bourdaloue pear tart, sherbet/cookies, fresh fruit basket

They were all out of chicken by the time they got to me, which was fine, I oped for the lamb, which was still good!

On the 777, the films worked this time as well, which was nice. The 777 cabin just felt bigger, I felt overall much more comfortable, although I shouldn't complain at all. Afterall it was my first time flying the A330 and found it to be a pleasure to fly as a passenger. Aside from the small disappointments on the BOS-CDG flight, I still had a great trip. The crew on the 777 was very warm and welcoming, their service very efficient and attentive. I'm just spoiled, that's all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.