Wiki Posts
Search

Cold Nuts... in a PLASTIC Cup!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Cold Nuts... in a PLASTIC Cup!

On UA 256 from DEN-ORD flight yesterday (departing at 6:31pm and serving "dinner" in C), I was given a plastic SOLO cup full of room temperature nuts. Let's not even mention the "dinner salad" sans warm cookie. I don't know what UA will do next... Buy on Board for transpac flights?! Granted DEN-ORD is only a 2 hour flight, but I still expected better service in C on a 777 during dinner hours. How cheap!

Has anyone else been forced to experience cold nuts out of a plastic cup? I hope not...

1Konsultant

Last edited by 1Konsultant; Jul 14, 2006 at 3:12 pm
Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
It's been going on for a few months now...there have been other postings about it on FT. I've only seen the plastic cups on shorter flights out of DEN but there may have been other cities too. Their usage appears to be inconsistent.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Arrow

The ramekin shortage must be hitting hard this year.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Forced to experience? You make it sound like they shoved the nuts down your throat.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Also on a 747 in C, UA 915 IAD/SFO on 7/4. I like room temperature nuts and you get a whole lot more in those plastic cups.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
Cold nuts are more comman than you think these days. I hope UA gets the nut issued fixed soon.

Cold nuts in plastic is just NUTS
Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:55 pm
Suspended

I too have seen them, and I think they're tacky. I like my nuts cool anyway, so it doesn't bother me that mcu, but it doesn't look good.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 4:00 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
That's it... I'm putting all my business to AA now.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by carl92103
Cold nuts in plastic is just NUTS
Hot nuts in plastic would be even worse though. Imagine if you got the very hot nuts they sometimes serve...
Old Jul 14, 2006, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Hot nuts in plastic would be even worse though. Imagine if you got the very hot nuts they sometimes serve...
Noooo! Quel horreur!!!

Before you know it, the hot towels will be made of paper!
Old Jul 14, 2006, 4:23 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
1Konsultant: This happened to me on UA947 IAD-LAX (like you in business on a 777, the indignity) on Monday. I was disappointed and felt all alone and empty. Thank God for Flyertalk! ^
Old Jul 15, 2006, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
1Konsultant: This happened to me on UA947 IAD-LAX (like you in business on a 777, the indignity) on Monday. I was disappointed and felt all alone and empty. Thank God for Flyertalk! ^
I am not THAT obsessed with my warm nuts , but I think they are a nice enhancement UA provides over the prepackaged bags of nuts other airlines hand out in premium cabins. Serving them in a SOLO cup is just cheap. When the FA gave me the cup, I looked at her in shock (exaggerating a bit for effect). She immediately said, "I know... I've never seen this before." Someone else made a comment as well. I was looking around the cabin waiting for the riot that would ensue once other pax got their plastic cups of cold nuts. But lo and behold, the plane landed safe and sound in ORD... even early on a Thurs. night (now that's a shocker)!

What's the reasoning behind using the plastic cups instead of the dishes?

1Konsultant
Old Jul 15, 2006, 4:01 pm

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by 1Konsultant

What's the reasoning behind using the plastic cups instead of the dishes?

1Konsultant
It is cheaper.......... Like serving the welcome drink on my recent AMS-ORD flight (F Class) in plastic cups. Was my first UA experience in Intercontinental F (I usually fly LH), but that was extremely low....

Cherrs, S
Old Jul 15, 2006, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by DFW-SEN
It is cheaper.......... Like serving the welcome drink on my recent AMS-ORD flight (F Class) in plastic cups. Was my first UA experience in Intercontinental F (I usually fly LH), but that was extremely low....

Cherrs, S
UA uses plastic cups for pre-departure drinks on all services. I don't think it's cheapness in this case; I think they prefer it for safety. I have been on non-USA carriers that use glass for pre-departure (I think most do) and once in a while they forget to collect all of them before takeoff, which could certainly present a hazard. On some routes LH will apparently let F passengers keep their glasses during takeoff if they specifically request. I don't think that is a good idea.

Charles
Old Jul 15, 2006, 4:43 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
UA uses plastic cups for pre-departure drinks on all services. I don't think it's cheapness in this case; I think they prefer it for safety. I have been on non-USA carriers that use glass for pre-departure (I think most do) and once in a while they forget to collect all of them before takeoff, which could certainly present a hazard. On some routes LH will apparently let F passengers keep their glasses during takeoff if they specifically request. I don't think that is a good idea.

Charles
I always hang onto my chapagne flute during take off in LH first. I think it is a very good idea.

I am quite serious about feeling all alone in my horror and disgust at the use of the platic cups. It was cheap and horrible. I was thinking about returning it with a urine sample just for good measure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.