Combined OW lounge at LAX TB Terminal?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Combined OW lounge at LAX TB Terminal?

Saw this post over at airliners.net....

....However, we're very pleased to announce the launch of an exciting new lounge project in the Los Angeles airport that will afford greater comfort to Qantas Club members and eligible Qantas passengers flying in and out of the city. All existing lounges in the Tom Bradley International Terminal will be demolished to allow space for four new, larger alliance lounges including the oneworld lounge operated by Qantas, Cathay Pacific and British Airways.

Featuring a fresh contemporary design, the new jointly operated oneworld lounge is scheduled to open in late 2006, with improved bathroom amenities such as shower suites, more entertainment options, attractive food and beverage selection, and greater business facilities.
http://www.airliners.net/discussions....main/2821721/
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:09 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Old news....first proposed 3 years ago, then tied into the LAX terminal rebuild (demolishing T1-T3) which was nixed, and finally funding was approved in April 2006 allowing plans to go forward. I've heard March 2007 as the date when it will be ready, but maybe it has been moved forward to end of 2006. The bad news is that several of the existing lounges are closed later this year, so for a few months the TBIT lounge situation will be worse during the construction. The plan is to issue restaurant vouchers in lieu of lounge space (but there simple isn't any restaurant capacity or decent food in TBIT). Some of the construction has already started, not just the A380 gates.

Edit to add that the plan is to have one floor of a Oneworld lounge and another floor of a Star lounge. No Skyteam though, I guess they don't use TBIT any longer.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
It will be interesting to see a OneWorld lounge however. Whilst several carriers partner up, I can't think of any other lounges where there are more than 2 players who have joined forces.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Not quite sure I understand: are we talking of having one, and one only, oneworld lounge in TBIT, open to all OW (like now) but operated by QF/CX/BA? or are those 3 just teaming up to run a common lounge, and others, like LA, for example, will have their own? In other words, how many OW lounges are there going to be in TBIT?
Old Jun 13, 2006, 10:33 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Viajero
Not quite sure I understand: are we talking of having one, and one only, oneworld lounge in TBIT, open to all OW (like now) but operated by QF/CX/BA? or are those 3 just teaming up to run a common lounge, and others, like LA, for example, will have their own? In other words, how many OW lounges are there going to be in TBIT?
The original plan was 1 lounge covering the entire floor (getting rid of the rabbit's warren corridors in TBIT). If the announcement is literally true, it does mean that LAN will not be part of this "oneworld" lounge. Or maybe LA will be switching to T4 (somehow I doubt that, but it could happen I suppose)? EI isn't mentioned either (and it is part of OW into 2007, ie. after this lounge is opened). Another possibility is that the funding for the lounge rebuild is coming from QF/CX/BA and the other OW airlines are getting a free ride on the construction costs (but not on the operating costs).

The OW lounge access rules for status aren't changing, so any lounge can be accessed by status (subject to capacity controls). Now TBIT is often invoking capacity control and refusing access -- even for pax flying the same airline, much less a different OW airline (ie. cannot get into the QF lounge when flying QF). The rebuilt lounge is supposed to triple capacity, with better use of floor space (more lounge and less corridors).
Old Jun 13, 2006, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
It will be interesting to see if the airlines report any major cost savings. It will even be more interesting to see if they can improve passenger comforts by pooling resources. QF, CX and BA generally have good offerings in their other ports so it will be intersting to see what they have come up with.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 5:06 pm
Community Director Emerita

BA built a beautiful Terraces lounge in San Diego for its lone flight a day (now canceled). I've always been bemused that we had such a lovely lounge, when what is available at TBIT is an embarrassment.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 10:01 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by number_6
No Skyteam though, I guess they don't use TBIT any longer.
KE, AM and SU certainly do but possibly that is insufficient to justify a Skyteam lounge....
Old Jun 15, 2006, 8:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, QF Platinum and Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by number_6
The original plan was 1 lounge covering the entire floor (getting rid of the rabbit's warren corridors in TBIT). If the announcement is literally true, it does mean that LAN will not be part of this "oneworld" lounge. Or maybe LA will be switching to T4 (somehow I doubt that, but it could happen I suppose)? EI isn't mentioned either (and it is part of OW into 2007, ie. after this lounge is opened). Another possibility is that the funding for the lounge rebuild is coming from QF/CX/BA and the other OW airlines are getting a free ride on the construction costs (but not on the operating costs).

The OW lounge access rules for status aren't changing, so any lounge can be accessed by status (subject to capacity controls). Now TBIT is often invoking capacity control and refusing access -- even for pax flying the same airline, much less a different OW airline (ie. cannot get into the QF lounge when flying QF). The rebuilt lounge is supposed to triple capacity, with better use of floor space (more lounge and less corridors).
Here is what Qantas posted today on the subject.......

From mid-2007, members with access to The Qantas Club can enjoy a new lounge experience in Los Angeles. Qantas, in partnership with Cathay Pacific and British Airways, is developing new First and Business lounges in the Tom Bradley International terminal. The new lounges will offer more space, more seating, luxury shower suites and enhanced business facilities.

From September 2006, interim lounge facilities will be available while the new lounges are under construction. The interim lounge will be outside the terminal and a shuttle will transport members to the lounge. Facilities will include seating for 500, complimentary refreshments, internet access,
TV, newspapers and magazines.

Given the pigsty currently offered, anything will be better When coming in from anywhere else to transit, I try to arrive in T4, use the lounge there, then come over to TB at the last minute (make that last hour, given the slow queues through customs there)
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
A shuttle will transport members to the lounge. Sounds suspiciously like - if you have less than an hour until boarding forget about using lounge in TBIT.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:00 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by cowombat
From September 2006, interim lounge facilities will be available while the new lounges are under construction. The interim lounge will be outside the terminal and a shuttle will transport members to the lounge. Facilities will include seating for 500, complimentary refreshments, internet access,TV, newspapers and magazines.
This sounds like a non solution - UNLESS they are going to use the AA lounge and take you there and back within the secure area of the airport.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:30 pm
Original Member

It is a horrible solution; I'm sure the temporary lounge will be a converted ballroom at one of the LAX hotels; so yes, you will have to leave the lounge an hour before boarding. But there simply isn't any room at LAX (except maybe at T3 where the former TWA lounge could be used) and the original plan was to give restaurant vouchers which probably could never have been used (no space in the restaurants to use them). Best to avoid TBIT for the next year. But we all knew it would get worse before it gets better.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Didn't someone post (maybe on another forum) that temporary replacement lounges for TBIT would be in a converted hangar?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:52 pm
TR35R

An interim lounge? That would be American Eagle terminal. Welcome to the island prison!
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
... temporary replacement lounges for TBIT would be in a converted hangar?

Last edited by TR35R; Jun 17, 2006 at 8:03 am

Old Jun 16, 2006, 1:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, QF Platinum and Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TR35R
A interim lounge? That would be American Eagle terminal. Welcome to the island prison!
Well, in the old days, UA didn't have an arrivals lounge and used to give transit J class a room at the Westin - love those beds..... But it did need a minimum 3 hour layover to get in and out of the airport.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.