Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 9, 2006, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere

I'm thinking of staying at the GH NYC for a Saturday night this month as a surprise gift for my husband's birthday.

I just checked the rates and they seem just a bit high... hyatt.com is at $329 with all room types available (for lots more money).

Seems a bit high to me considering it's not the holiday weekend. While it's only an hour drive from home, I thought it would be nice to stay and get a stay credit .

Is it worth the $329 (plus tax)? I really don't want to use my points for this. I hoarding them for Kauai.
Old May 9, 2006, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a typical weekend night, I would expect this hotel to start at a lower rate, but NYC has been seeing high occupancy rates recently and bargains do seem to be a lot scarcer lately than I am used to. Still, I'd consider shopping around to see if this is the case at other hotels before committing to paying this much (and by the time you add all the strange NYC taxes, it will be more like $380).
Old May 9, 2006, 4:09 pm

Mary,

Unless you are compelled to stay in New York for business reasons, then I would think that $329 plus tax (s) and lkuxery taxes would be a waste of money.

The Hyatt Jersey City is a great property but can also get pricey at weekends. You might like to consider Windwatch on Long Island and, if you like driving, you can take the ferry accross Long Island sound and try the Hyatt (s) at Newport and/or Greenwich.
Old May 9, 2006, 6:25 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
second the motion for Jersey City, usually much cheaper on weekends and a 10 minute PATH ride from the city . . . and a great view.
Old May 10, 2006, 11:13 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
BTW, how does the Hyatt Grand NYC compare to other NYC hotels judging on point/reward value? I currently have Hyatt booked out but I'm also considering using SPG points or Hilton's 5/10/15 reward instead.
Old May 10, 2006, 1:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Thumbs down Very disappointing RC in NYGH

I guess I have been spoiled by so many other RCs but I was very surprised to find there was not even a hot hors d'oevre[sp?] in the evening.The bagels are now mini size in the am.
All in all in terms of food it was the feeblest I have ever seen at a Grand Hyatt.
Old May 10, 2006, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by mmgm
I guess I have been spoiled by so many other RCs but I was very surprised to find there was not even a hot hors d'oevre[sp?] in the evening.The bagels are now mini size in the am.
All in all in terms of food it was the feeblest I have ever seen at a Grand Hyatt.
I would agree that the evening offerings at the RC were lacking compared to not only Grand Hyatt, but Hyatt Regency's in general. Breakfast was okay. I was there in January, but the rate was only $159 so I can't really complain. But at over $300/night, I would have lots to complain about.
Old May 10, 2006, 9:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
why all the bad press???

You folks are really spoiled. Let me see:
Hyatt Jersey City - no lounge
Hyatt Morristown NJ - no lounge
Hyatt SF airport - Marriott like lounge
former LA Hyatt downtown - no lounge
LA Hyatt near Disneyland - no lounge
Hyatt Monterey - no lounge
Hyatt Regency Washington DC - no lounge
Hyatt Minn DT - OK lounge
Hyatt Austin - no lounge
Boston airport - nada
Boston DT - nada
Philly Penns Landing hyatt - nada

From my perspective, I look forward to visiting the NYC Hyatt lounge when i stay there. Besides the bagels, they have a really nice breakfast roll (which my wife really loves) and several selections of large french pastries. When i was there over Xmas, they had plates of Sushi in the PM. For water, it was large bottles of Acqua Panna - not the typical plastic bottles of water. And the evening pasteries they are not good for you. Cheese cakes, key lime pies, chocolate mousse, etc. So not sure why all the negativity.

Last edited by hotelfanatic; May 10, 2006 at 9:34 pm
Old May 10, 2006, 10:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
As I have commented before about this hotel, I do not find the Grand Hyatt NYC, to be too grand - BUT the location is excellent!

I believe the RC is closed on weekends, so Mary would not be able to enjoy it. Not sure why so many are complaining about the club as I thought the RC is just fine, better then the restaurant IMHO.

For me $300 would not be worth it for this particular hotel. The rooms are very small, and as a diamond you will not get much in the way of an upgrade, and the service is only mediocre there are better deals in the New York area to be had.
Old May 11, 2006, 12:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by smilee
The rooms are very small, and as a diamond you will not get much in the way of an upgrade, and the service is only mediocre there are better deals in the New York area to be had.
The rooms are very small? I've never had a small room at the Grand Hyatt NYC. Usually quite spacious ones by NYC or even national standards. Even when on a PCLN reservation.
Old May 11, 2006, 1:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Sorry, you are right the rooms are a fine size, the bathrooms are small.

From an earlier thread I was disappointed with the hotel because
-lipstick on coffee mug
-toilet seat - here they spend millions on a renovation, and the toilet seat had a big black stain all over it
-great fitness equipment, but the room layout was poor
-no upgrade to regency floor for a diamond, got a regular room on a regular floor
-asked twice for our amenity to be delivered. It is a big hotel and requests can be forgotten, but 8 hours later, still nothing, so I called the second time and they brought up the amenity within about 15 minutes. They delivered a small bottle of wine and four small cookies. Funny how others experienced similar issues.
-no turn down service the second day
-no late checkout
-no newspaper, had to ask

I was complaining because I paid $250 and thought it was not good value, I guess if I was paying $165, I would have thought the value was a little better. The service is just not great at this hotel.

Anyhow, if I thought I would just warn Mary, that she may not be overly impressed staying at this hotel, especially if she is paying $300 a night.
Old May 11, 2006, 1:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
RC open on weekends

Was there over the weekend in Feb and it was open.
Old May 11, 2006, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I just checked the rates and they seem just a bit high... hyatt.com is at $329 with all room types available (for lots more money).
I am on my way to NYC and booked the InterContinental Barclay Spring rate couple of weeks back for $189/night and used free weekend night cert for the second night. Suite upgrade confirmed in advance and free minibar waiting too. Breakfast too but after partying out the whole night I will probably miss it again.

I truly miss the park Stanhope.
Old May 12, 2006, 7:04 am
kid

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
You folks are really spoiled. Let me see:
Hyatt Jersey City - no lounge
Hyatt Morristown NJ - no lounge
Hyatt SF airport - Marriott like lounge
former LA Hyatt downtown - no lounge
LA Hyatt near Disneyland - no lounge
Hyatt Monterey - no lounge
Hyatt Regency Washington DC - no lounge
Hyatt Minn DT - OK lounge
Hyatt Austin - no lounge
Boston airport - nada
Boston DT - nada
Philly Penns Landing hyatt - nada

From my perspective, I look forward to visiting the NYC Hyatt lounge when i stay there. Besides the bagels, they have a really nice breakfast roll (which my wife really loves) and several selections of large french pastries. When i was there over Xmas, they had plates of Sushi in the PM. For water, it was large bottles of Acqua Panna - not the typical plastic bottles of water. And the evening pasteries they are not good for you. Cheese cakes, key lime pies, chocolate mousse, etc. So not sure why all the negativity.

And you can add that the Hyatt New Brunswick NJ also has no lounge.

The Grand Hyatt NY lounge is a good one and the hotel is in a good location.
Old May 12, 2006, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
While New Brunswick doesn't have a lounge they do put out a continental breakfast on the 6th floor seating area on weekday mornings. On the weekends they always offer a breakfast coupon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.