Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sheep's Birthday Do London - Saturday 10th of June, 2006

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheep's Birthday Do London - Saturday 10th of June, 2006

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2006, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Going back to the question asked in the first post which no-one has answered - does anyone want dinner first?
I would like to reply in the affirmative.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:08 am

Programs: A Gold, BD Silver, BA Club Platinum Royal Ambassador, Hilton Honors Gold
Dinner first would be great, I haven't been to Wagamamas since the DUB Do

P.S. Please add me to the list
Old Apr 20, 2006, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Originally Posted by Jenbel
does anyone want dinner first?
Yes, please.

Typically British food - curry or pizza? Or something more refined, like bangers and mash? (No jellied eels, please - some may consider them f*sh.)
Old Apr 20, 2006, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes please to the early dining.

Huge problem with this suggestion is that there's no toilets But this is a pretty good place for the budget concious, so thought I should share:

Icco (Pizzas - under Ł4 each, and actually pretty good)
46 Goodge Street London
W1T 4LU
Old Apr 20, 2006, 5:04 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Roger
Typically British food - curry or pizza?
Erm, Curry.... INDIAN, Pizza.... ITALIAN!! Typically British
Old Apr 20, 2006, 5:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Thanks for the suggestion LapLap

We could do waga's again as well, but I am thinking along the Italian or waga line. Its actually too early in the evening for me to think about Indian - seems wrong how to be eating Indian in London when sober
Old Apr 20, 2006, 5:08 am

Programs: BA-Gld, BD Lifetime Gld, LH Pleb, *Wd GPG, HH-Dmd, Amex: can take their Cent card and <CENSORED>
Food sounds like a very good idea! We'll need to put a lining in our stomachs if we are to keep up with the denziens of the BA board! (Otherwise we'll end up more furry than Willard next morning!).

Willard the Bear - Oh dear, it's going to be one of those nights is it?!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
Erm, Curry.... INDIAN, Pizza.... ITALIAN!! Typically British
I thought it was Americans and Germans who didn't get irony .

Indian food has long since replaced fish and chips as the UK's favourite cuisine, and some dishes such as chicken tikka masala were invented in the UK for the UK and barely exist in India if at all. Oh yes (in case the pedantry police are watching), most 'Indian' restaurants in the UK are operated by Bangladeshis.

As for pizza, well there are several claims as to who invented it. Just go with the flow .
Old Apr 20, 2006, 5:54 am
jhm

Originally Posted by Roger
some dishes such as chicken tikka masala were invented in the UK for the UK and barely exist in India if at all.
Just to add to your post - it's not only Indian food but it also applies to other well loved British dishes, e.g. Singapore noodles and quite a lot of the Chinese food here in the UK.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhm
Just to add to your post - it's not only Indian food but it also applies to other well loved British dishes, e.g. Singapore noodles and quite a lot of the Chinese food here in the UK.
As well as that vile slab of hardened egg with whatever vegetables they could scoop out of the kitchen sink plughole that is called 'Spanish Omellete'. You'd never get one of those in Spain (well not outside of 'Cath's Caff' in Benidorm)
Old Apr 20, 2006, 7:45 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Stick me down as attending - I hope to make it ... after all, you know how important sheep is to me
Old Apr 20, 2006, 7:56 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
And while I think about it... it's been too long since we've been to Hamburger Union!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jhm
Singapore noodles are authentic. As a concept, anyway - I wouldn't necessarily apply that description to the execution in many Chinese restaurants in the UK.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:38 am
jhm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Singapore noodles are authentic. As a concept, anyway - I wouldn't necessarily apply that description to the execution in many Chinese restaurants in the UK.
Not according to the Singaporeans I've spoken to but they could be wrong! For example, Makan Time:

Singapore Noodles - There are many noodle dishes in Singapore and none is known to the locals as Singapore Noodles. This is one of those so called "Singaproe Noodles". This seems to be a Westernized version of the dish known locally as Hokkien Mee.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jhm
Not according to the Singaporeans I've spoken to but they could be wrong!
Well, I suppose that they might not call it "Singapore noodles" in Singapore, but the dish seems to be well established under that name both in Hong Kong and in all outposts of the Hong Kong food diaspora (ie Chinatowns all over the world).

So maybe I will have to settle for saying that Singapore noodles were not "invented in the UK for the UK", and that they do more than "barely exist" in Singapore even if under a different name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.