Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oslo Norway DO March 16-19 2007

Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Oslo, Norway DO

March 16-19, 200

My wife and I are going, everyone else is invited. The main highlight will be the World Cup Nordic Ski Jumping competition on Holmenkollen Sunday.

More details in the web site:

If you plan to attend, discussion here is just fine but please also let me know by PM and if you are definite/likely/maybe.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Nov 30, 2006 at 6:47 pm Reason: date change
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Only question is....with World Ski Jumping ..will flights and rooms be limited or very expensive???
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by mikey1003
Only question is....with World Ski Jumping ..will flights and rooms be limited or very expensive???
I'll be adding several more hotel recommendations & a hostel. The hostel will be booked -- if you want cheap digs, you will need to make your reservations early. We were there on Holmenkollen Sunday in 2004 & paid about $115/night (cheap for Oslo) at the Best Western Anker.

For this year's ski jumping weekend for March 10-13 (Fri. checkin, Mon. checkout) on http://www.nwa.com you can still book the Thon Opera for $143+ ($114+) per night or the Thon Terminus for $121+ ($91+) per night for two (one) people with full breakfast buffets. The "+" is the agency's tax/service fee which is just under $8 for the Thon Opera at the $143 rate, i.e. you're looking at a range of $97 (one person) to $151 (two people) if you were to book in these hotels at this late date for this year.

Tickets from MSP (dep. 3/9, ret. 3/13) are available now on CO for $610. On NW last-minute fares are now kicking in so they're at $1020 now, but they could be had for ~$600 a week ago. For the 2004 trip we paid $473 all-in, 3 wk. adv. on NW, Wed. dep., Wed. return.

Having organized 3 trips (2 school reunions) back to Oslo (I also lived there for 3 years), we've learned to stick to hotels near the central train station, which also happens to be adjacent to one of the central subway stations (Jernbanetorget). It's a great city for using mass transit & walking.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:46 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Wow! Someone who wants to go on vacation in March to somewhere even colder than back home in Minneapolis !
Since I am not into watching ski jumping, I would probably choose to go around June 21 for the Midnight Sun.
Anyway, be sure to book your Scandic rooms at 10K HHonors points a night by Sep. 30!
Old Apr 15, 2006, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
You can probably count me in! I will most likely be in Vaxjo, Sweden for an international exchange and might make a trip to Oslo to participate in my first DO! ^
Old May 17, 2006, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 777-DCA
You can probably count me in! I will most likely be in Vaxjo, Sweden for an international exchange and might make a trip to Oslo to participate in my first DO! ^
I will list you as probable, please keep me updated.

Originally Posted by Brendan
Wow! Someone who wants to go on vacation in March to somewhere even colder than back home in Minneapolis !
Since I am not into watching ski jumping, I would probably choose to go around June 21 for the Midnight Sun.
Anyway, be sure to book your Scandic rooms at 10K HHonors points a night by Sep. 30!
You will have to go about 1100 miles north of Oslo (above the Arctic Circle) to have even a chance of seeing the midnight sun. It is usually obscured by terrain or clouds.

Winter temperatures in Oslo are very moderate -- warmer than MN. Temps in the 20's (F) are the norm for Oslo in March.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:54 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I will post this at the SK forum, there are plenty of FTers in Oslo
Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:57 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

And I will join the DO as well
Old Oct 28, 2006, 8:39 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tommy777
I will post this at the SK forum, there are plenty of FTers in Oslo
I've never been to Oslo, might be fun to join some locals.

Is there a Do Itinerary?

--
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The tentative itinerary is, well, was at:
However, it appears they're breaking with tradition and holding it on the 3rd Sunday in March. Until now, it's been on the second Sunday for ages.

Stay tuned, don't buy any plane tickets or prepaid hotel stays yet!

I should find out shortly.

Later: The reply from the Olso Tourist office ....
Hello Mike.

Thank you for contacting us.

I have now researched the matter and found out the following:

World Cup Biathlon March 10th to 12th http://www.visitoslo.com/?cat=58934&...6PR=23_6755_61

World Cup Nordic March 17th to 18th http://www.visitoslo.com/?cat=58934&...6PR=23_6755_33

I have spoken to Skiforeningen and they will update their information asap.

Good luck and welcome to Norway.
The World Cup Nordic is what this is about. It appears they've move the biathlon & jumping to separate weekends; the International Ski Federation also has a jumping event on March 11 in Finland.

Wonder how many people will show up on the wrong weekend? The cheap downtown hostel (Anker) is booked solid both weekends.

I'll try to get the base post & website cleaned up this evening.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Nov 30, 2006 at 1:26 am
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've also now confirmed it on the Norwegian Ski Associations (skiforeningen.no) web site -- they've updated their Norwegian-language pages but not yet most of their English pages.

The dates for the DO are March 16 (Friday) to March 19 (Monday).

Crucial dates are:

On or after Dec. 1 -- reserve your tickets (or if you live in Norway, buy them). The best seats are NOK 300, or about $43-50 depending on exchange rates. Cheaper seats (down to NOK 100) are also available. I will post more later.

Friday, March 16 -- pay for & pick up tickets at the Ski Museum (arrange w/ some else to get them if you won't be there yet)

Sunday, March 18 -- great ski jumping, starts ~ 2 p.m.

We've bought our plane tickets, arriving 3/15, departing 3/20.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.