Search

SCL - CDG L'Espace Premiere

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
SCL - CDG L'Espace Premiere

Check-In

Santiago has a very open, glassy design. In fact, there was so much glaring sunlight - at the height of Chile's summer - that it was difficult to see where to check-in ! Once found, there were two check-in agents for the premium cabins. I'd say I'd waited about 10 minutes in line.

Security - Immigration

Both security and immigration (Chile has equal formalities for leaving the country as for entering it) were very efficient - hardly any wait. We first, however, had to get through the huge masses of families and friends who were accompanying departing passengers!

Lounge

AF uses the Delta Crown Room in Santiago. It's definately not up to AF lounge standards. There was a good selection of bad wines together with minimal food items. The overall appearance of the lounge was shoddy.

Boarding

A boarding announcement was made in the lounge 45 minutes prior to departure. At the gate, there was no obvious separte boarding area for premium passengers. A few made their way straight to the machine and were told to form a separate line from the other sides of the boarding card machines - so the agents manning the machines had passengers coming at them from two opposite directions! Surely, a better system could be envisaged.

Pre take-off

We were on the plane probably 35 minutes ahead of scheduled take-off. The crew immediately offered to take our coats - yes, people were dressed for the weather at the destination!

About 20 minutes later, the crew started coming along with PJ's and amenity kits.

Next came an offering of newspapers - there was just a single copy of an English language paper available (the IHT), so I was glad to be sitting in Row 1.

As the plane started its pushback, they served champagne. This was poured into a glass from the bottle at the seat.

Finally, they brought separate kits with slippers and socks - once a passenger had requested it. This had either been forgotten or the crew had wanted to do it after take-off.

The cabin director also came around and introduced himself individually to all F passengers - but did not use their names.

Seat

This was an old-style First Class seat. I have absolutely no complaints about the seat, except there's no real place to securely place a beverage (without opening the tray) and the TV screen is tiny.

Post take-off

The crew passed out the menu and presented it opened to the page of the language of the passenger - French, Spanish, English.

Shortly afterwards, they took orders for cocktails, the starter and the main.

The choices were as follows:

Appetizer

Canapes

Choice of hors d'oeuvre

Scallops and shrimp with cocktail sauce, cured ham with Mediterranean-style garnish.

Baby corn and heart of palm salad.

Fresh seasonal salad.

Choice of Main Courses

Grilled tournedos of beef, zucchini with fried carrots and sauteed ....ake mushrooms.

Sea bass with shrimp sauce, leaf spinch and steamed potatoes.

Ricotta totellini with sauteed vegetables.

Crabit humita (Traditional Chilean Dish)

Our Special Selection of Cheese

Fresh bakery selection

Dessert cart
Petits fours frais
Chocolate cake, lemon tart, fresh fruit tart
Sherbt served with cookies, assortment of fresh fruit

Wine List

Champagne - Jacquesson Avize Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs 1996
White Bordeau liqueur - Sauternes Chateau Suduiraut 1997 Premier cru
White Burgundy - Mersault Les Grands Charrons 2001 Vincent Girardin
Red Burdgundy - Pommard 2002 Domaine Bouchard aine et fils
Red Bordeaux - Saint Estephe Chateau les Ormes de Pez 2001 Cru Bourgeois Exceptionnel JM Cazes

Cocktails

The cocktail came served with 4 canapes and a box of Fauchon (a luxury French food store) box of crackers.

No refills were offered on the cocktails.

Meal Service

The meal service was all done at once, i.e. no variations in the eating times of passengers. This was not offered on the flight.

The crew set each table individually, i.e. no tray was brought to you. It was however all served from large trolleys, which didn't seem necessary in a cabin that had only 2 rows !

The quality of the food was not as good as on flights leaving Paris, but very good nonetheless.

The beverage selection was excellent but the beverage service was very slow. 15 minutes elapsed before they offered a refill !

The cheese selection was very good and they were cut at your seat, i.e. not some pre-seleted assortment given to you.

Entertainment System

This was the only truly dismal aspect of the flight. All the choices were very old and had been dubbed into French and Spanish, with sub-titles in English. Foorest Gump, for example, was only available to an English-speaker by reading the sub-titles ! They also offered a bizarre selection of old TV programs - including Macgyver !!!

Turn-down Service

The crew offeed to do the turn-down service for veryone, but there were no takers. (AF offers fluffy pillows and duvets, which are great.) It was not even 9 pm local time when the crew had wanted to put the passengers to sleep (the flight left at 6:30 pm)

They did leave us with a large bottle of water.

The Overnight

Following the turn-down service, the crew no longer came around the cabin to see if anyone needed anything. You either had to ring the bell (which people did and the crew responded immediately) or go up to them in the galley (there's no bar area set out for F class).

There was however an incredible number of crew constantly walking through the F cabin to the front of the plane - apparently one of two of the F lavatories have been designated as crew lavatories. But they managed very well not to make any eye contact ith passengers as they wizzed by.

I think this aspect of the service needs a major upgrade - somebody needs to attentively do the rounds overnight as many people do not feel comfortable ringing the bell, and getting up from a sleeping position can be quite a chore !

Breakfast

About two hours prior to landing, the lights came on and breakfast service began:
The choices were:

Brunch

Fresh orange juice

Coffee, tea, hot chocolate

Fresh fruit plate

Yogurt

Smoked turkey, smoked trout, cheese

Choice of Main Courses

Omelette with tomato, kasseler pork and sauteed mushrooms

Crepes filled with apples, cheese and dulce de leche

Fresh bakery selection, breakfast pastries, butter and preserves.

The quality of the food and the service was all fine. You were however given it on a tray.

Overall, this was a very good experience - notwithstanding my observations above - on the longest non-stop flight in the AF network.

The AF crews are so classy and fit that it brings you back to the good old days of flying. I also very much like their new uniforms.

Last edited by Braniff; Jan 30, 2006 at 10:35 am
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:17 am

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
Very interesting comments, thank you very much.

I flew the same leg last month, but in Business, and we had a very similar catering (except no canapes), with less prestigious wines of course, and tray (instead of table) service. So I guess what you buy with F is more privacy and a sky bed -- but the food is essentially the same.

I also noticed a very strong difference in the quality of the food offering between the CDG->SCL (top quality) and the SCL->CDG (only so-so) sectors.

A great bonus of this flight (at least during the southern summer) is that, shortly after take-off, you fly just above the Andes in the late afternoon -- this provides some of the most magnificient views that can be seen from a commercial airplane.

Last edited by albireo; Jan 31, 2006 at 12:11 pm
Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the report, Braniff !

The first thing that came to my mind is also the fact that the meal service does not really sound like F class, more like C indeed, Fauchon crackers are also offered in C and in some lounges.

Kasseler pork for breakfast is a poor man`s dish by all means in Germany for example.

The IFE is indeed lacking channels as well as quality, while I enjoy Forrest Gump every time I see it, McGyver is pathetic !
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:34 pm

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Braniff

Cocktails

The cocktail came served with 4 canapes and a box of Fauchon (a luxury French food store) box of crackers.

No refills were offered on the cocktails.
I didn't get any canapés in my recent CDG-SIN trip in F. I first thought it was because I declined the apéritif but I've checked the menu again and it doesn't mention them. Did your menu explicitly mention those canapés? Was it called a dinner or a supper service?

The meal service was all done at once, i.e. no variations in the eating times of passengers. This was not offered on the flight.

The crew set each table individually, i.e. no tray was brought to you. It was however all served from large trolleys, which didn't seem necessary in a cabin that had only 2 rows !
Are you sure it wasn't offered? F meal is supposed to be a la carte. Even with a simplified F service (according to my own experience) they do offer this flexibility. My menu said "Please inform your flight attendant if you would prefer to be served later".

The trolley is definetely something I don't want to see in a P cabin. Hopefully I was the only PAX and they didn't use it.
The cheese selection was very good and they were cut at your seat, i.e. not some pre-seleted assortment given to you.
Well, I got a pre plated selection of cheese (excellent and much better than the l'Espace Affaires cheese).
Turn-down Service

The crew offeed to do the turn-down service for veryone, but there were no takers. (AF offers fluffy pillows and duvets, which are great.) It was not even 9 pm local time when the crew had wanted to put the passengers to sleep (the flight left at 6:30 pm)

They did leave us with a large bottle of water.

The Overnight

Following the turn-down service, the crew no longer came around the cabin to see if anyone needed anything. You either had to ring the bell (which people did and the crew responded immediately) or go up to them in the galley (there's no bar area set out for F class).

There was however an incredible number of crew constantly walking through the F cabin to the front of the plane - apparently one of two of the F lavatories have been designated as crew lavatories. But they managed very well not to make any eye contact ith passengers as they wizzed by.

I think this aspect of the service needs a major upgrade - somebody needs to attentively do the rounds overnight as many people do not feel comfortable ringing the bell, and getting up from a sleeping position can be quite a chore !
I fully agree with you on this. It's not acceptable to assume that all passengers want to sleep as early as possible. Even if you manage to get 7 or 8 hours of good sleep, you still have 6 or 7 hours to kill. Speeding up the meal service is not a smart idea.

I would also have appreciated a more substantial bar in the F cabin and a more attentive service during the night (such as the replacement of my empty Evian bottle).

The quality of the food (breakfast) and the service was all fine. You were however given it on a tray.
Again, I share your experience here and the tray is not too classy, even though it is covered with a nice white table cloth. Very practical and high speed service for the crew, but come on, it's a 14-hour flight! Who wants a 20-min breakfast?
The AF crews are so classy and fit that it brings you back to the good old days of flying. I also very much like their new uniforms.
Nothing beats an AF flight attendant in Lacroix uniform, except maybe an AF flight attendant in Lacroix pajamas...

Last edited by Falco Peregrinus; Jan 30, 2006 at 1:43 pm
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:38 pm

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
And I have absolutely no doubt that the l'Espace Première food and wines are far superior to the l'Espace Affaires food and wines. At least from CDG.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 2:14 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
I know what you mean about getting put to bed early! Oddly enough in Affaires this does not happen as much! I agree that the IFE is absolutely ghastly. It seems odd that such a good overall airline should fall down so spectacularly on this. Compared to VS QF CX SQ or even CO it is quite embarassing.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Falco Peregrinus

I didn't get any canapés in my recent CDG-SIN trip in F. I first thought it was because I declined the apéritif but I've checked the menu again and it doesn't mention them. Did your menu explicitly mention those canapés? Was it called a dinner or a supper service?

Yes, they were explicitly mentioned on the SCL-CDG flight. There were no canapes offered on the outbound flight - which left Paris just before midnight. My guess is that they don't do this on such late flights; only on dayflights.

Are you sure it wasn't offered? F meal is supposed to be a la carte. Even with a simplified F service (according to my own experience) they do offer this flexibility. My menu said "Please inform your flight attendant if you would prefer to be served later".

On rechecking the menu, it does in fact have that statement. But this was never mentuion by the crew.

I would also have appreciated a more substantial bar in the F cabin and a more attentive service during the night (such as the replacement of my empty Evian bottle).

Completely agree.

Nothing beats an AF flight attendant in Lacroix uniform, except maybe an AF flight attendant in Lacroix pajamas...

Indeed.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Falco Peregrinus
And I have absolutely no doubt that the l'Espace Première food and wines are far superior to the l'Espace Affaires food and wines. At least from CDG.

As mentioned by Threy, the food leaving CDG was in a completely different league. But perhaps comparing Chile and France is not fair in this regard.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AshleyB
I know what you mean about getting put to bed early! Oddly enough in Affaires this does not happen as much! I agree that the IFE is absolutely ghastly. It seems odd that such a good overall airline should fall down so spectacularly on this. Compared to VS QF CX SQ or even CO it is quite embarassing.
I wonder how much the entertainment systems of the likes of SQ cost. I find it truly odd how AF degrades their overall product with their IFE. It surely can't be worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.