Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for avoiding DL's Indian call center?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Tips for avoiding DL's Indian call center?

I would've hoped that Delta would've taken a hint and eliminated its Indian call center, much as Dell has done, but I just had an incredibly frustrating 20 minute conversation with a CSR who apparently didn't understand half of what I was saying (nor did she realize, for instance, that there are three major airports serving the NYC area and three in the SF Bay Area, the two areas I needed to travel between). Does anyone know if there's a surefire method for getting routed to a North American-based CSR? Is it simply a matter of hanging up and calling back? I was calling, in this case, to check on upgrade availability using SkyMiles for a domestic flight - would it help to just ask to just navigate through to domestic reservations instead of SkyMiles reservations? (The conspiracy theorist in me suspects that DL is intentionally making it frustrating to redeem miles, but I don't know if that's an accurate view.)
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:24 am

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
Most international reps are based in the US. They usually will help you with your US reservations too if you ask

Originally Posted by kirker
I would've hoped that Delta would've taken a hint and eliminated its Indian call center, much as Dell has done, but I just had an incredibly frustrating 20 minute conversation with a CSR who apparently didn't understand half of what I was saying (nor did she realize, for
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:30 am

Programs: DL PM, MM, HH Diamond
I've always gotten knowledgeable American reps at SMS. Is this only available to elites?

I think the main problem is not with Indian reps, but rather just that they were poorly trained.

Finally, I think DL doesnt make it hard to use skymiles - just expensive. I have pretty much accepted the fact that the 100% bonus actually just compensates for the 200% award ticket prices (skychoice). after this compensation, however, DL has excellent award availabilty compared to its peers (albeit twice as expensive)
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:44 am

Indian Call Center Avoidance

Someone thought of asking for a Spanish speaking rep when connecting to the call center in India. India then transfers you to the call center in Miami (?). These Miami folks also all speak English!
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by TACA
Someone thought of asking for a Spanish speaking rep when connecting to the call center in India. India then transfers you to the call center in Miami (?). These Miami folks also all speak English!
That would have been my suggestion as well. I'm pretty sure that after English, knowledge of a third language drops off significantly at the India call centers.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by TACA
So as to be convincing, does one have to put on a heavy accent while asking? It would be kind of odd to ask for a Spanish-speaking rep while speaking in perfect English. Although I guess they wouldn't challenge you on it...
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
That would have been my suggestion as well. I'm pretty sure that after English, knowledge of a third language drops off significantly at the India call centers.
try fourth or fifth language
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:25 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by senoreit
So as to be convincing, does one have to put on a heavy accent while asking? It would be kind of odd to ask for a Spanish-speaking rep while speaking in perfect English. Although I guess they wouldn't challenge you on it...
You could ask in...
a) broken English
b) broken Spanish
c) broken Hindi

(Broken Hindi suggestions welcome below.)
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL GM
Actually, I've had trouble understanding a few of Delta's Hispanic reps (cordless phone near the PC probably didn't help, either).

I don't think I've ever had a call routed to DL's Indian call center. I wonder if the time of day makes a difference. Whenever I can, I try to make reservations early in the morning (US Eastern Time), and, if possible, on weekends. I once called SMS at 6am on the 4th of July and got a rep with NO time on hold.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Tennisbum
Actually, I've had trouble understanding a few of Delta's Hispanic reps (cordless phone near the PC probably didn't help, either).

I don't think I've ever had a call routed to DL's Indian call center. I wonder if the time of day makes a difference. Whenever I can, I try to make reservations early in the morning (US Eastern Time), and, if possible, on weekends. I once called SMS at 6am on the 4th of July and got a rep with NO time on hold.

I've never been put on hold when calling SMS (and I call a lot!). Could this because of being PM? Maybe because I'm on the West Coast?
Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:52 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
If you bought your ticket on delta.com, the electronic support desk will do almost anything general reservations will do and they are US based. Depending on time of day though, it tends to have longer hold times.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:04 pm

Programs: Not enough to count anymore
#1 tip to avoid India call center: NEVER have ANY baggage problems! I have had two baggage issues this year and both times have considered switching from Delta due to them. Both times, SMS forwarded me to baggage service and both times the initial rep could/would not help me and then refused to transfer me to a supervisor.

The first time I had a problem with a bag sitting in RDU for 3 days and no one would forward it. Finally after 28 flights left RDU to ATL for routing, I got a non India service rep who amazingly got the bag on the 29th flight to leave RDU...even though the other 28 flights could not fit a 40lb bag as I was told.

The second time I had a damaged bag and the initial agent did the SAME thing. Refused to help because it was 25 hours after the flight and then refused to connect me to a supervisor. After arguing for 2 minutes, he put me on hold for 8 minutes, came back and said they were too busy and proceeded to hang up on me. I will seriously consider changing from DL if this is the way they continue to treat GMs who ask to speak to a supervisor in India!
Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:18 pm

I never get India when calling SMS. When calling for a no-status friend last week went straight to India. That was difficult.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:44 pm

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by gpan
Most international reps are based in the US. They usually will help you with your US reservations too if you ask
Is there a way that I CAN get an Indian CSR? Whenever I call I get a US based CSR. I guess part of it has to do with the fact that I call for international trips only.

Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH
you can find 90% American agents

in ReIssue DEPT, and Refund DEPT.

-------------------------------------
Just throw some Profesional words.

ex) Rollover my ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.