Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap Tickets SIN-KUL?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2006, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Question Cheap Tickets SIN-KUL?

I am going to be in Singapore in March and plan to travel to Kuala Lumpur for the grand prix. I am currently scheduled to fly in to SIN from HKG and for simplicity wanted to book a seperate ticket on SQ for SIN-KUL so I can be checked straight through HKG-KUL.

Now all I can find for this route is the full Y fare on singaporeair.com, expedia, travelocity etc. but I looked up the available classes on expert flyer and it showed K9 L9 N9 Q9 W9 B9 E9 as well as Y9. Question is how and where do I book a ticket in one of these other (presumably cheaper) classes?

This is just for a one way - will be catching the train on the way back. Maybe that's the problem?

Money saving suggestions appreciated
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:16 pm

Programs: SQ QPP5
SQ and MH operate this route as a duopoly, and hence they only sell full fare Y tickets. The SIN-KUL segment remains one of the biggest rip-offs that I know of. If you want it cheaper, you can fly using the shuttle ticket: you have to buy a shuttle ticket at the airport, take a queue number, and get on the next available SQ/MH flight when your number is called. During the Grand Prix weekend, this is a risky thing to do as shuttle numbers are called only if the flights still have seats to fill 45 mins before flight departure. In addition, without holding confirmed seats, you cannot check yourself through to KL and have to clear immigration in Singapore in order to get on the shuttle queue.

Alternatively, you should get the HKG-SIN-KUL-SIN-HKG ticketed in HK, so it would become a lot cheaper. Again, this defeats your plans to get a one-way flight. If you're flying roundtrip, you may want to look at Sri Lankan or Japan Airlines tickets that are sold through consolidators. These are slightly cheaper than the SQ/MH tickets, and JL has a very nice schedule flying in and out in the evening. Online, you can check on www.zuji.com.sg

A final word of advice. Taking the train from KL to Singapore is very very slow and expensive. Executive buses are the way to go (~5 hrs one way, depending on traffic). There are several companies offering this service, but on Grand Prix weekend, it would make sense to book ahead. Aeroline (one of the better options) allows online booking and ticketing: www.aeroline.com.my or www.aeroline.com.sg. You may finally decide to do SIN-KUL-SIN via bus.

Last edited by 248477; Jan 12, 2006 at 8:19 pm
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
I am going to be in Singapore in March and plan to travel to Kuala Lumpur for the grand prix. I am currently scheduled to fly in to SIN from HKG and for simplicity wanted to book a seperate ticket on SQ for SIN-KUL so I can be checked straight through HKG-KUL.

Now all I can find for this route is the full Y fare on singaporeair.com, expedia, travelocity etc. but I looked up the available classes on expert flyer and it showed K9 L9 N9 Q9 W9 B9 E9 as well as Y9. Question is how and where do I book a ticket in one of these other (presumably cheaper) classes?

This is just for a one way - will be catching the train on the way back. Maybe that's the problem?

Money saving suggestions appreciated
UL does have good fares, but the schedules are not great.

Classes such as K9 L9 N9 Q9 W9 B9 E9 as used for onward flights eg KUL-SIN-SYD.

It will probably be cheaper to buy a RT and throwaway the return on UL / JL.

Contrary to 248477 I think the train is great. REALLY cheap ($35 or so for First Class) and takes a while but not too long compared to the hassle of flying

Cheers
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:37 pm

Programs: SQ QPP5
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Contrary to 248477 I think the train is great. REALLY cheap ($35 or so for First Class) and takes a while but not too long compared to the hassle of flying
Trains are more hassle-free than flying, but buses are more comfortable (the better ones even have personal TVs, in seat power supply for laptops, conference rooms, etc - click on the links in my earlier message to see images), have more frequencies, and are faster. There are only 2 trains a day from KL to Singapore, compared to more frequent than hourly bus departures. First class fare SIN-KUL on train is S$68 vs S$47 on Aeroline. Train is cheaper on the other direction: RM68 vs RM80. The only time I would recommend the train is if you want the 'nostalgia' factor, or if you want to take the overnight sleeper.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I've seen the fares on JL and UL but the times are no good as I'm looking at a 3pm ish departure. Guess I'll have to cough up for the Y fare as I don't like the idea of trying my luck with the shuttle queue, especially as flights are likely to be busy.

As for the train I thought it was pretty cheap, especially in the premium class or whatever it is called and certainly much cheaper than flying. I want to take the train more for the experience anyway rather than as a means of getting from A-B but don't particularly want to do it twice.

Seeing as there is no rush to bok the Y fare I'll hang fire for the moment and see if anything comes up (although I can't think what).
Old Jan 13, 2006, 4:52 am
Suspended

Over the years I have done countless journeys on planes, trains and automobile (and coaches) on this route; and I came to the conclusion that the most sensible way to travel is by coach (except during holiday seasons when traffic can be quite bad on the highway).

Flying is way too expensive for personal travels, trains are too slow and bumpy, while driving is too tiring (as age catches up with you ). The new coaches are quite comfortable and if there isnt much traffic on the road, its just as fast as the flying option (door to door). Its just a fraction of the cost of flying ,and furthermore you dont have to pay for expensive KLIA Ekpress fares to downtown KL.

Last edited by mario33; Jan 13, 2006 at 4:54 am
Old Jan 13, 2006, 5:38 am
Original Poster

I did check out aeroline and their coaches / service seemed to be very good value for such a low price. Will definately consider this.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:35 am

Programs: CX-Silver, HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
Just to add my 2 cents. The coaches are nice. Need to make sure you book a double decker VIP/Premium type bus, not just the regular deluxe. Aeroline has massage seats which are great. Nice2 is a good bus too but no massage seats. These two take the other bridge when crossing over to SIN and is nonstop so the journey is not as long as a regular route which stops for food at the hawker stall center.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by 248477
SQ and MH operate this route as a duopoly, and hence they only sell full fare Y tickets. The SIN-KUL segment remains one of the biggest rip-offs that I know of. If you want it cheaper, you can fly using the shuttle ticket: you have to buy a shuttle ticket at the airport, take a queue number, and get on the next available SQ/MH flight when your number is called. During the Grand Prix weekend, this is a risky thing to do as shuttle numbers are called only if the flights still have seats to fill 45 mins before flight departure. In addition, without holding confirmed seats, you cannot check yourself through to KL and have to clear immigration in Singapore in order to get on the shuttle queue.
According to one of the SQ ground staff at KUL a minimum of 36 seats on every SQ/MH flight between SIN and KUL are reserved for pax in the shuttle queue.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by QF009
According to one of the SQ ground staff at KUL a minimum of 36 seats on every SQ/MH flight between SIN and KUL are reserved for pax in the shuttle queue.

Just wondering, can First Class seats be bought from the shuttle queue? If so, how much cheaper is it? Thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by furryraccoon
Just wondering, can First Class seats be bought from the shuttle queue? If so, how much cheaper is it? Thanks.
Yes - they're designated FU (and YU in economy).

Not sure how much cheaper they are though.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 9:07 am
Original Poster

SQ and MH seem to have some sort of cooperation going on this route seeing as MH schedules are listed on the SQ website when doing a timetable search.

If I did decide to fly, MH have a more conveniently timed flight than SQ. Would SQ in HKG therefore check me and my bags through to KUL if I was holding seperate SQ HKG-SIN (C class) and then MH SIN-KUL (Y class) tickets? Or would buying a MH ticket compel me to go through Singapore immigration and check in in the normal way?
Old Jan 16, 2006, 12:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
You should be able to through check your bags. If its separate tickets then need to show your MH ticket at check-in in order to get through tagged. Not sure if you can get BP for MH SIN-KUL in HKG (probably depends if its one ticket or not if this is possible), but even if not there is no need to clear immigration - simply visit the airside transfer desk on arrival in SIN.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
SQ and MH seem to have some sort of cooperation going on this route seeing as MH schedules are listed on the SQ website when doing a timetable search.

If I did decide to fly, MH have a more conveniently timed flight than SQ. Would SQ in HKG therefore check me and my bags through to KUL if I was holding seperate SQ HKG-SIN (C class) and then MH SIN-KUL (Y class) tickets? Or would buying a MH ticket compel me to go through Singapore immigration and check in in the normal way?
Yes, both SQ & MH have a very lucrative duopolistic agreement on this route. Since there is no price differential between them, I'd advice you to stick to SQ as you'd get a way better deal, in terms of the service & refreshments (in F) and more importantly, departing & arriving on schedule. In the several flights where I was 'forced' to take MH F due to seats in SQ F being 'sold-out', the flights never seem to be able to depart on schedule.

Haapy Flying!
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:12 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Since you'll be arriving late in the evening I would recommend SQ F up to KUL. By buying F you'll be able to overnight in the SKL Good assortment of food/alcohol/champagne, showers, computers, free wifi, and private sleeper rooms. The fare differential between Y and F was $30 in November. It seems like a better option than a) either staying at the Transit hotel and flying Y and b) Taking a cab at premium prices to/from Changi to a hotel in downtown SIN. The service on the early morning flights to KUL on SQ consists of a continental breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.