Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Secure carry-on luggage storage for transit pax at Singapore-Changi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2005, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie

I'll be in-transit at SIN from SQ 1 (arr. 11:55 a.m. from SFO-HKG) to SQ 974 (dpt. 7:45 for BKK) on Sunday afternoon. I have to go into Singapore for some shopping. But I'll have a fairly heavy piece of carry-on luggage that I'd rather not haul around the Lion City all day. So I'd like to leave it someplace secure, where I won't have to worry about it growing legs, at Changi. Can it be done?

If it matters, I'll have access to the Raffles SKL, but I don't think there's anyplace secure (lockable) there.

Thanks in advance for the help, folks.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 7:18 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Now you can not leave anything at SKL.
There is a left luggage in secure area behind the duty free shop. You are better off leaving the heavy bags there. I think it's about SGD5 for 24 hours.
I would rate the place as being safe. I had left my carry-on there many times and no problem so far. [Knock on woods]
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:23 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Which duty free shop is that near?
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Its behind the duty free shops area - the long corridor where the toilets are near the middle of the Terminal2

I did the same in August. Arrived late morning, around 11am. Dumped the bag in left luggage for which you pay a daily fee (cannot remember how much but it was less than SGD 10). Do check as it is not 24 hours. Caught the MRT into town (allow 20-25 mins). Did what I had to do at Orchard Road, popped into Tangs for a couple of items, got a quick bite at Takayshimaya and hopped on the MRT backed to Changi.

Retrieved bag from left luggage, when to SKL F lounge, picked up a glass of Dom, a plate of satay before catching SQ2 to SFO.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:50 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Ok I think I got it - in between main airside and departure immigration (ie away from the tarmac side).

Thanks - in all my transits through SIN I havent needed to use this yet but think I will on one of my upcoming trips.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:42 am

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Ok I think I got it - in between main airside and departure immigration (ie away from the tarmac side).
Yup. It's located between the two immigration areas. Ask for the wine store.

The cost is weight-dependent, not size-dependent - which I found strange coz they should be charging based on how much space you're taking up, right? The cost is just over S$3 per day for the lightest weight category (under 10kg/22lbs, I think). Super cheap, IMO. Safety is almost a given in Singapore, and I can tell you I left two unsealed boxes at that facility for over 2 weeks and nothing was stolen. To top it all off, they are very friendly!
Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:07 pm
CGK

I just went there to store one bag with two amenity kits and three PJs from my SQ flights, and another plastic bag with my LH PJs and japanese snacks I bought at NRT. It costs me SGD4.20 till 1pm today (for 11 hours!)
Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Thanks everyone. Sounds perfect.

The problem was that I didn't know what "Left Luggage" means. I've heard the expression and seen signs in plenty of airports, but I figured it mean "lost and found," as in people who left their luggage someplace (accidentally) should go to this location to retrieve it. It really means "Luggage Check" or "Luggage Storage," at least that's how an American would say it.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
The left baggage facility has been rumoured to be mainly a money spinner for the airport. It has its benefits and cons.

Traditionally, if im not wrong, it has been used as a form of safe keep not only for baggage but also as an exorbitant safe keep for cigarettes as the customs people are highly alert for people who smoke and bring in cigarettes. They will insist and sometimes demand that passengers use the storage for cigarettes due to no taxes being collected. A friend of mine who was caught up by the charge told me that he was charged SGD8.00 for a carton of cigarettes just to store it.

It does make sense that the charge is by weight as the charge would be more. Some people don't really care about it but others have issues about it.
Old May 17, 2006, 11:59 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by trekkie
The left baggage facility has been rumoured to be mainly a money spinner for the airport. It has its benefits and cons.

Traditionally, if im not wrong, it has been used as a form of safe keep not only for baggage but also as an exorbitant safe keep for cigarettes as the customs people are highly alert for people who smoke and bring in cigarettes. They will insist and sometimes demand that passengers use the storage for cigarettes due to no taxes being collected. A friend of mine who was caught up by the charge told me that he was charged SGD8.00 for a carton of cigarettes just to store it.

It does make sense that the charge is by weight as the charge would be more. Some people don't really care about it but others have issues about it.
I would be, as I am always lugging back *max* weight suitcases back from the US....however, still haven't noted the left luggage signage anywhere - is it *outside*, after clearing SIN Customs, where the fast food places are, when arriving at T2? Can we clarify where exactly, as we can also use luggage belt numbers (ie 30, 32, etc.) for guidance...
Old May 17, 2006, 1:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

SuperFlyBoy - this is the location (airside).

Originally Posted by KenJohn
Its behind the duty free shops area - the long corridor where the toilets are near the middle of the Terminal2

I did the same in August. Arrived late morning, around 11am. Dumped the bag in left luggage for which you pay a daily fee (cannot remember how much but it was less than SGD 10).
Old May 17, 2006, 1:28 pm
CGK

Left Luggage Landside

From baggage claim, when you get out from any belts (after that customs green or red), don't go to the left. Follow the TAXI sign to the right. Or else just follow the sign for MRT.
When you see the escalator down to MRT, on you far right you will see the LEFT LUGGAGE counter near the taxi queeue.
Old May 17, 2006, 3:33 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by CGK
From baggage claim, when you get out from any belts (after that customs green or red), don't go to the left. Follow the TAXI sign to the right. Or else just follow the sign for MRT.
When you see the escalator down to MRT, on you far right you will see the LEFT LUGGAGE counter near the taxi queeue.
LOL!--I just posted the same info in the other "left luggage" thread.

There's a handy map of the airport in the Changi website. I like how they've upgraded their website, BTW. ^
Old Jul 7, 2007, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Sorry to bump and old thread but I had a few questions on the lost baggage service.

i) the website gives a rate for bags below and above 10kg. The bag I want to leave will weight almost 30kg. Should I pack it into 2 smaller bags? The bag itself is not large (standard medium suitcase) just full of books.

ii) How long can bags be left for? I am looking at about a week as I will be stopping over in SIN as part of a to/from Canada ticket and have bought two bags of ~20kg with me.

However, we are now going to PEK as well and have bought SIN-PEK-SIN tickets and I assume SQ won't give us the North America baggae allowance so we can only take 20kg of it with us.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.