Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you ever fly in a different cabin from your partner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you ever fly in a different cabin from your partner?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by GBOAC
OK, someone's gotta throw this out there...in these days of supposed equality, isn't that a tad sexist and old-fashioned?
I would simply call it being nice. But I guess being nice to others is also considered "old-fashioned."
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by johnep1
I would simply call it being nice. But I guess being nice to others is also considered "old-fashioned."
Read the rest of my post where I was asking not about the being nice for the sake of being nice aspect, but rather the knee-jerk reaction to it based on them being of the opposite sex (if indeed that was the case, as I said, no offence intended and hopefully I didn't wildly misinterpret it).

Phil
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:51 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
In the old days of TWA, Daddy had enough status apparently that he always got an upgrade when he flew. So on many flights we had one upgraded seat between the 3 of us (Mother was also travelling).

We tended to share out the upgraded seat with my parents having it one way for transatlantic legs, and I would get at least one of the upgrades for the internal flights.

Although it meant one person travelling apart, since the upgrades were alloted at check-in, often the pre-assigned Y seat did not get given to another pax so the two of us got three seats between us.

Then there was the time Mummy and Daddy flew up in F leaving darling daughter in Y on her own. But back then TWA were so liberal I got to go and sit in F after the meal service and have pan cakes made espaecially for me.

If you have the opportunity of one seat further forward any reasonable person wouldn't mind sitting apart unless there was a particular reason why they needed to sit together (special occasion, fear of flying .....). I probably wouldn't have been too impressed at sitting apart on honeymoon for example. But now I've been married 3 years I can cope with a few hours apart.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:54 am

Not if I wanted to live to fly again.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:55 am

Programs: BA; Marriott; HH Gold,
As long as I am on the same flight as my SO I would not really be bothered - though he would probably insist that I take the better seat, I would of course decline and he would insist I take, resulting in a mega argument at the airport - we would then be grateful to sit apart until landing at our destination

Of course you may be correct in what a woman says and what she really want (in this case NO may really mean YES).
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:09 am
pdb

Flying with my business partner, this has happened twice (through no one's fault)...and I'm happy to report: the relationship did not suffer irreversible damage! (Perhaps because on the second occasion the cabin disequilibrium was reversed. )
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:09 am

You are very good at that! Unbelieveably insightful...

Originally Posted by thegoderic
Rule 1 when communicating with the fairer sex. When they say, "go ahead you do it" they're trying to tell you something.

My women / english dictionary translates this phrase as

"If you do this, I will remind you of the crass way you behaved at least once a week for the next 25 years. I will use it as an example to explain to your mother, your sisters, work colleagues and any random person I end up sat next to on a flight how insensitive and unfeeling you really are. If you want to go ahead and do this, please do, but remember what the consequences will be".

It could however have been worse. She could have simply said "fine". When she says that, you really are in trouble.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
My other half and I are travelling in seperate cabins on CX outbound to BKK, I am currently in J and she is in Y on both sectors. I tried to upgrade her ticket but was told I would need to buy an entirely new one way ticket which would cost a lot more than my return one did.

My other half doesnt really drink and can sleep anywhere so I am torn between doing the chivalrous thing and enjoying seat 86A to the full
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:19 am

Read the rest of my post where I was asking not about the being nice for the sake of being nice aspect, but rather the knee-jerk reaction to it based on them being of the opposite sex (if indeed that was the case, as I said, no offence intended and hopefully I didn't wildly misinterpret it).

Phil
I had read your entire post.

I hate to think that there are people out there who would have such a knee-jerk reaction. To reprimand someone for giving up a better seat, holding a door, pulling out a chair, etc. is absolutely pitiful. I wonder why some people have to look for the negative in every situation. Instead of saying "that was nice," some people have to say "that guy's a jerk because a lady can open a door for herself."

As for when I travel with my girlfriend or mother, they always get the better seat. I like the window seat, so does my gf. When we fly together, guess who gets the window. That's right, she does. Nothing sexist about it.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
OK, someone's gotta throw this out there...in these days of supposed equality, isn't that a tad sexist and old-fashioned? What gives your partner more right to be there than you? I can understand offering to swap to be nice or because you may want to treat them or indeed if you want to swap, etc. but to insist because it's based purely on them being of the opposite sex therefore they somehow "deserve" or "should" be there instead of you, the man?
And more frivilously, what if you both want to me nice to the love of your life just because that's what they are, and both of you insist the other takes it?
(No offence intended to you personally clubman BTW! Just voicing an opinion, and apologies if I interpretted anything wrong from your post.)
Phil
No offence taken Phil.
I do understand what your saying, but truth is I would probably do the same if it ware one of my parents (I guess that's what you might call respect)
Or very likely even one of my siblings (not sure what that's called...)

Last edited by clubman; Nov 30, 2005 at 11:57 am
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Well I've sacrificed a rare Y to F upgrade to keep my mother happy We went to NYC in autumn '02, myself on the Rocket and her in the relative comfort of subsonic machine. When checking back in at JFK to come home the agent gave strained looks as she was checking us and informed me of an upgrade to F. I was eager to take her up on this offer but my mother who had slummed it down the back for two flights would have been narked if I'd accepted. I tried compromise, asked if at all it was possible to get two seats in F (my pre FT days I tell you ) to which I was informed the cabin was full. I let it slip and schlepped home in 42G

Also earlier in the year I went down to JER with my parents to see my brother. We each booked our own tickets, I presumed they'd bought CE and they'd thought I'd booked ET. In fact I'd booked the front seats and them the rear. Alas I somehow managed to palm it off as an upgrade for being Silver......and they bought it

And when flying with my girlfriend, should I ever be offered an upgrade I'd be more than willing to sacrifice the seat for her. I'd get pleasure from knowing she enjoyed the flight.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by fbgdavidson
I was eager to take her up on this offer but my mother who had slummed it down the back for two flights would have been narked if I'd accepted. I tried compromise, asked if at all it was possible to get two seats in F (my pre FT days I tell you ) to which I was informed the cabin was full. I let it slip and schlepped home in 42G
Could have given the F seat to your mother - bit of a waste to let it go altogether...
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Boo Boo Too
Could have given the F seat to your mother - bit of a waste to let it go altogether...
Ah the blessings of hindsight....alas at the time my head was spinning trying to work out how this came about that I didn't even think to do that!
Old Nov 30, 2005, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by thegoderic
Rule 1 when communicating with the fairer sex. When they say, "go ahead you do it" they're trying to tell you something.

My women / english dictionary translates this phrase as

"If you do this, I will remind you of the crass way you behaved at least once a week for the next 25 years. I will use it as an example to explain to your mother, your sisters, work colleagues and any random person I end up sat next to on a flight how insensitive and unfeeling you really are. If you want to go ahead and do this, please do, but remember what the consequences will be".

It could however have been worse. She could have simply said "fine". When she says that, you really are in trouble.
One of the most valuable wisdoms in this forum for a long time, indeed.
^ ^
Old Nov 30, 2005, 1:57 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
At the end of the day I see it as a matter of love, I love my wife and am happy to admit it, so she would always get any upgrades. I travel enough anyway so have more chances when on my own.

Now when you have children.... that is a whole different ball game!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.