Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Waldorf Hilton, London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Pjh104
D'oh. Good tip. I avoid picking up my phone at night though as it often reveals a message from somewhere in the world requesting my presence on a conference call in half an hour. Not seeing such messages lowers my guilt level about not attending the meeting
I have a tip for that too - change phone settings to airplane/flight mode..... Phone still on but not active.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by wizla
I have a tip for that too - change phone settings to airplane/flight mode..... Phone still on but not active.
I'll get my coat....
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Pjh104
I'll get my coat....
Noooooo don't go, haha.....seriously though I do agree with the " electrical storm " comment ( that did make me smile!), the biggest complaint I seem to get when I travel with my lady is there is no mirror where the hairdryer is for doing her make up, or no plug near mirror for the hair straighteners.......doesn't bother me but my word does she moan!.....the Waldorf is good but apparently bankside and Conrad are rubbish for this?.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Noooooo don't go, haha.....seriously though I do agree with the " electrical storm " comment ( that did make me smile!), the biggest complaint I seem to get when I travel with my lady is there is no mirror where the hairdryer is for doing her make up, or no plug near mirror for the hair straighteners.......doesn't bother me but my word does she moan!.....the Waldorf is good but apparently bankside and Conrad are rubbish for this?.
I actually found the Waldorf to be annoying for that. The only electrical plug in the bathroom is for a shaver. So if you want to dry your hair, or use a straightener, etc., you have to go sit at the desk in the room. And the lighting there is a pain.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
My big beef with the Waldorf is the stairs. Poor design for a hotel to have all those stairs at the entrance and also the couple small steps that you have to encounter in the room halls if you have an end room. Real pain if you have luggage and if someone is in a walker or a wheelchair it would be a real pain exiting and entering the hotel.

I think I've stayed here four times and never had the US electrical outlet work.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:30 am

Noooooo don't go, haha.
I'm baaaack. Pointing up my Luddite tendencies serves only to make me stronger....
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
does anyone know if the lifts are keycarded? i need somewhere to work from but need colleagues to be able to drop in. ta.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by sarahluv
does anyone know if the lifts are keycarded? i need somewhere to work from but need colleagues to be able to drop in. ta.
Yup I can help, lifts NOT keycard ( unless this has changed since my last stay )....... There are 3 lifts, 2 in front and 1 slightly to the left, the later is quicker than the other two.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: HHonors
Yup I can help, lifts NOT keycard ( unless this has changed since my last stay )....... There are 3 lifts, 2 in front and 1 slightly to the left, the later is quicker than the other two.
I find the lift on the left can be quicker to arrive because people don't realise it's has a separate call button. But that it's slower moving between floors.

Also, to the right of the lifts, there is the staircase for all floors. I usually use the stairs if going up/down a floor.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
On TripAdvisor this hotel is ranked 340th; I'm looking at the Hyatt and Andaz also and they are both in the 90s - is there a significant difference in standards between the two? The fact this property has an indoor poll is attractive, and it is actually the best location of what I've looked at so far.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
The pool is part of the gym that is really a standalone business in the hotel building that hotel guests have access to, vs a hotel-specific amenity. Can be busy and a bit pedestrian, if that makes sense.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
How good are the chances of a suite upgrade as Diamond? Will be paying 100% cash for the stay.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:45 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by Isochronous
On TripAdvisor this hotel is ranked 340th; I'm looking at the Hyatt and Andaz also and they are both in the 90s - is there a significant difference in standards between the two? The fact this property has an indoor poll is attractive, and it is actually the best location of what I've looked at so far.
Staying here now, but typically stay at the Hyatt's first. So my advice would be either 2 of the Hyatts. The Churchill has a better lounge in my view. No upgrade to a Suite as Diamond here, but must admit, the hotel is totally full, too.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:46 am
formerly a193991

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by sarahluv
That surprised me to be honest, anybody from the street can access all floors... .so much to security...
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:34 am
formerly a193991

Waldorf Hilton - a bit disappointing

The Waldorf Hilton, London

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

Aldwych London, GB WC2B 4DD

Waldorf Hilton - a bit disappointing (2 Photos)

It was the first time for me to stay in a Waldorf, so my expectations were very high, considering the high rate of 419£ as well.

overall, I was very disappointed. price way to high for what was offered. Room was very nice, Service just about ok, Food quality below par overall.

In total, I would not stay here again, hence the "not recommended". 

Check In

I am a Diamond member and check-in was very friendly, curtious. I must honestly say, that (even though I am native English speaking), I sometimes had difficulties in understanding the spanish accent of the agent's english. 

but very friendly, did all he could to make the experience great. 

Room

The hotel was fully booked. I was not able to select my room when checking in on the mobile app. I was assigned room 419, which was a very nice corner room, slighly larger than others as per the floor layout. 

Very comfortable bed, a large bathroom with double sink, bathtub, big shower.  Very nice! 

The water-jet was a bit weak, as some jet holes were blocked due to the hard water. Bathroom amenties (empty shampoo bottles) were not removed from the shower.

Big working desk area, good wifi, and also Ethernet cable. International power outlets, also US format.

Service

Service was just about ok. I had some issues with my room, that 2x the room was not made up even at 3 pm. I then called housekeeping and they made up the room within an our.

The next day, room was made up by 9:30 am, I guess they listened.

Service in the meeting room area was "so so la la"

Location is simply excellent, near Covent Garden and the musical show area. Close to the River Thames.

A bit far from the nearest subway station, if you plan on using the tube upon arrival/departure with all the luggage. A taxi is probably needed, e.g. to Paddington Station and then the Heathrow Express.

Dining

We were here as a team for contract negotiations for 5 days, with the client. 

We rented the conference room and order from the room service menu. 

Selection is very limited, and some items were not even available. Food not tasty, and after the 3rd lunch order we only went out of the hotel for lunch (and dinner anyway)

Lounge:

- Breakfast: very good

- Afternoon tea: good

- Evening snacks: can be left out - nothing appealing 

Breakfast in Restaurant: Huge selection, very good.

Meeting facilities

I would not recommend this place for meetings. 

WiFi on the E-Level meeting room was extremely bad! not usable. Phone not working properly. 

For the other 4 days, we had a large room on the lower basement floor.

WiFi good, but smell was awful. This lower basement was also an area for the employees, room service / kitchen. Odor was really not pleasant.

Phone did not work at all, so for any service we had to walk up to the lobby and request assistance.

WiFi in Meeting Room: either BTOpenzone of Hhonors_Meeting. Only 1 bar! and kept disconnecting, had to log on every day as well.

Wifi HIlton BtOpenzone.JPG

Wifi Hilton Hhonors.JPG

Waldorf Hilton - a bit disappointing

Would you like to write a review on the The Waldorf Hilton, London?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.