Search

The elusive FC seat on the Embraer 170

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
The elusive FC seat on the Embraer 170

So I have a couple of travels coming up from SLC-DTW now flown with the Embraer 170 which has a 6 FC seats.

I am booking in "B" with no luck to snag a F seat when booking, stating "on request" despite all 6 seats being open.

Then I for the fun of it try a number of days in several future months. Same result, no go. The difference between "B" and "F" is $500 (800 to 1300).

Seeing how an award seat would go gave a similar result: only skychoice for F, no Skysaver even 300 days out.

Checking on FC availability for the next 3 days, including tomorrow: all 6 seats open! so obviously no pre-gate clearing for any SM.

What gives? - is this FC only for show? - do they fly with it empty or what is going on? - anybody knows?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:23 pm

According to a thread in the last day or two they only do upgrades at the gate right now. A search for "Shuttle America" or even "170" would probably find it.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Both of my EMB-170 flights were completely full in F. I was in it once and not in it once. It does appear that there is no advance V/G availability. While the fare on the non-stop may be that much more in F...there might be cheaper A fares available from other markets.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
Both of my EMB-170 flights were completely full in F. I was in it once
And was it quite as exciting as being in F on CX or SQ? It probably came close ...
Old Nov 3, 2005, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
I fly ORF-ORD pretty regularly on the 170 (United) and personally, I prefer 3B over the F section. The additional legroom is a better deal than a free drink.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 8:44 am

I'm 2 for 2 on a recent DTW-SLC-DTW. The outbound flight only showed 2 FC seats available and I was able to upgrade at the gate. The return flight showed 6 seats available and again was fortunate to get upgraded at the gate. This was on a T fare and only FO status. I would say your chances of an upgrade are excellent, but I don't think you'll see it clear ahead of time. They seem to be saving them for day of departure. Good Luck!
Old Nov 3, 2005, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Interesting - thanks all.

But it makes no sense because now I will buy a $300 T-ticket instead of being willing to pay $850 for a B if I could have confirmed at booking.

Go figure!!
Old Nov 4, 2005, 11:33 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott lifetime Ti, USMC
Originally Posted by GJCrawford
I'm 2 for 2 on a recent DTW-SLC-DTW. The outbound flight only showed 2 FC seats available and I was able to upgrade at the gate. The return flight showed 6 seats available and again was fortunate to get upgraded at the gate. This was on a T fare and only FO status. I would say your chances of an upgrade are excellent, but I don't think you'll see it clear ahead of time. They seem to be saving them for day of departure. Good Luck!
I'm 1 for 1 on SLC-DTW. On yesterday's flight, we pushed back with 2 empty seats in F, but I assume that's because neither the website nor the phone reservation agents showed upgrade availability on that leg. However, when I booked a future trip that included an SLC-DTW leg, it showed up with the normal "request upgrade" checkbox, so maybe that was just a fluke. Trip report at http://www.robichaux.net/blog/archives/001653.php.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 1:46 pm

On which routes is the EMB170 now flown?
Old Nov 4, 2005, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by gilpin
Off the top of my head:

SLC-DTW
SLC-IND
SLC-CMH
SLC-MEM
SLC-CLE
SLC-BNA (starts Dec 1st, I think)
SLC-RNO
CVG-DTW (one daily)
JFK-AUS

One of the SLC-Mexico flights will be on it if approved, but I can't remember which one.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 3:58 pm

JFK-CMH, no?
Old Nov 20, 2005, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by gilpin
Well, you can add JFK-SAT to MastaHanky's list of Shuttle America flights using the E170.....as I'll be taking this flight from SAT in early December.

1587 miles.....3:55 flight time....and yes.....I actually once posted on Flyertalk that I would never fly in a RJ for over 2 hours, but unfortunately this was my only choice.

Given all of the talk about the small FC section on this aircraft.....I was wondering if anyone who has flown in it in coach would be willing to share some insight as to what might be the best choice as far as coach seats are concerned.

I tried searching...but all of the threads that I found seemed to focus on the FC section.....not coach.

Thanks in advance...

A.J.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Bulldog King
Well, you can add JFK-SAT to MastaHanky's list of Shuttle America flights using the E170.....as I'll be taking this flight from SAT in early December.

1587 miles.....3:55 flight time....and yes.....I actually once posted on Flyertalk that I would never fly in a RJ for over 2 hours, but unfortunately this was my only choice.

Given all of the talk about the small FC section on this aircraft.....I was wondering if anyone who has flown in it in coach would be willing to share some insight as to what might be the best choice as far as coach seats are concerned.

I tried searching...but all of the threads that I found seemed to focus on the FC section.....not coach.

Thanks in advance...

A.J.
Row 3 baby. 3A is good, 3B is excellent as your feet go into FC cabin...but you have to watch out for your feet. 3C/3D better than 3A.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I kind of like this plane. Any coach seat that has an empty seat next to it is comfortable. Actually, a coach seat with an empty beats an F seat.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 8:46 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by opus17
I kind of like this plane. Any coach seat that has an empty seat next to it is comfortable. Actually, a coach seat with an empty beats an F seat.
Unless you are 6'4".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.