Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would You Spend a Week in Malta?

Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Location: ORD; AA Exec Plat (MM), SPG Plat (Lifetime Plt), other minor status

I'm considering a trip to Malta in April 06 (Holy Week) and have been trying to do some research to make sure it's a place that I would like to visit and could easily spend a relaxing week.

Found a few old threads, some of which seemed to indicate a week was way too long, while others seemed to think it might be okay, so I'm basically still unsure...skimmed through one trip report, but some of the recent posts referenced a trip report for which the link never seemed to work. Other websites don't seem to have much info either... except a few references to elderly package tourists from Britain.

It would actually be 5.5 days, so not quite a full week - given that in mid-April it looks like beach/pool time will be unlikely, would I be able to fill a week with sights/hiking etc.?

Any updated thoughts on Malta would be most welcome!
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Hello OP,

I was in Malta in May (8 hours on a cruise) and I think you can easily keep busy for 5.5 days. Valota is a fascinating city and Malta is a varied island. There's a saying that Malta has never owned by the Maltese. Malta is the crossroads of different cultures: drive on the left like the British; good morning, good afternoon and good evening is spoken in French (or is it Italian?); thank yous are in Italian (or is it French?); counting is in Arabic. English is widely spoken. Valota is built like a fortress -- because it had to be.

Malta is the most remote island I've seen with a nice size population.

You will have a great time.

David
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:52 pm

Malta will be beautiful in April. It is toward the end of the green season (no significant rain falls in Malta from May 15 to September 15) but most of the heavy winter rains will have ended by then. All of the terraces and farmer's fields will be a lush green dotted with native yellow flowers.

If you enjoy archaeology, then a week will not be long enough. Malta has its own "Stonehenge" (Hagar Qim) that is thousands of years older than the popular one in England. The island has been continuously inhabited for over 7000 years. Its ruins are in good shape due to the abundance of limestone, so over the years people have not robbed them for building materials.

The Maltese are some of the most hospitable people I have ever been around. They are genetically descended from the Levant (Phoenicians) but have been influenced by the cultures of their many conquerors over the centuries. Everyone speaks Maltese (North Africa Arabic heavily influenced by Italian) and most everyone speaks English also. Additionally, about half of the population speaks Italian (due to the influence of Italian television from Sicily). While listening to a Maltese conversation, you will hear English, Italian, French, and Spanish words mixed in.

The island is extremely safe. There are no beggars or street people in Malta. Violent crime is almost unheard of. Petty theft is so rare that it generally makes the front page of the newspapers (which are ususally quick to point out that the suspects are Libyans or Algerians). Teenage girls can walk home alone in the middle of the night with no worries whatsoever.

Nightlife is concentrated in the town of Paceville. The minimum alcohol consumption age is 16 so the night crowds are younger than most other countries.

Malta's problems? As with most former colonies of the British Empire, Malta struggles to cope with things the Brits take for granted. Litter is a problem. They are working hard to change people's attitudes but Malta is not as tidy as it used to be under British rule.

Politics is the national sport. 95% of the population is evenly divided between Nationalists (conservatives, currently in power) and Labor (currently complaining about everything). Elections generally have a turn out of 95% of the population.

Immigration is a big, but hidden problem. All of the illegal immigrants are kept in a facility on the south side of the island. Currently, almost 1500 persons. To put that in perspective on a per captia basis, it would be like 180,000 illegals entering Germany in the last 12 months. Boatloads of illegals are "captured" every week. Most are returned to their perspective, African countries. None are allowed into the general population.

Avoid the White Taxis. They prey on tourists.

Anything else, then PM me. I love this country and raising my children here has been fantastic. The schools and attitudes of the people are light years ahead of the United States.

Last edited by Kibison; Sep 26, 2005 at 11:55 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.