'Everything' about the merger!

Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Exclamation 'Everything' about the merger!

Haven't yet read the details, but here is the link:

http://www.usairwaysinfo.com/usair/default.aspx

See also, this press release for a good summary.

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Sep 26, 2005 at 5:15 pm Reason: add press release link
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
ARRGHHH!!! 75% bonus for Plat?

For those of us PHX based HP flyers who earn elite status on segments this is a major bummer. Since I hardly flew at all this summer I have a bit of work ahead of me just to hit platinum... Chairman is going to be a stretch in any year. I was at least looking forward to the 100% mileage bonus with platinum. Also, although not explicitly mentioned, it looks like the silver sponsorship for top tier members has gone away.

Overall this won't have a major impact on me in the short term. In the long term as the networks are combined and there are more CP members on my short haul flights I'm guessing that upgrade opportunities will suffer. Looks like I'll continue flying US for work, but will still direct the bulk of my spend to UA.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by andrewp
ARRGHHH!!! 75% bonus for Plat?

For those of us PHX based HP flyers who earn elite status on segments this is a major bummer. Since I hardly flew at all this summer I have a bit of work ahead of me just to hit platinum... Chairman is going to be a stretch in any year. I was at least looking forward to the 100% mileage bonus with platinum. Also, although not explicitly mentioned, it looks like the silver sponsorship for top tier members has gone away.

Overall this won't have a major impact on me in the short term. In the long term as the networks are combined and there are more CP members on my short haul flights I'm guessing that upgrade opportunities will suffer. Looks like I'll continue flying US for work, but will still direct the bulk of my spend to UA.

Here's what I got out of it:

For HP Plats like us, who do <100 K EQM's a year there is a plus and a minus to this. The plus is 4 days out for upgrades, the minus (and big) is 75% bonus...that really sucks and is waaay below other airline's programs

Of course we plats will be teased for the remainder of the calendar year at Chairman's level, 7 day upgrade window, 100% bonus for miles but then come January 1st will we revert back to the "new" Plat? I guess that is to be known. It would be nice to give us Chairmans for CY '06 (where I would definitely requality with my UK trips) but I guess we'll wait and see.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:26 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
Well, at least we know what the deal is, or we are beginning to get the details. I am very interested in knowing what this trial CP is all about. Based on my usual travel patterns, I will be a little short of CP status. I guess I will need to do some unusual travel so I make it for 2006.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Here's what I got out of it:

For HP Plats like us, who do <100 K EQM's a year there is a plus and a minus to this. The plus is 4 days out for upgrades, the minus (and big) is 75% bonus...that really sucks and is waaay below other airline's programs
Except in my case I won't hit the requisite number of segments until the end of November so I won't qualify for the "trial" CP level.

We are also losing free WiFi at the PHX clubs (although I already have a TMobile account so this isn't a big deal).

On the bright side base on what I've read I should be able to skip the renewal of my club membership since my RCC card should give me access to the PHX clubs.

If UA would bring F back to PHX I would gladly float a large chunk of my current HP spend over to UA. I'd rather take a connection in LAX or SFO, get a 100% mileage bonus, and earn even more SWUs than support the carrier that just shafted me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that HP/US just alienated the very group of pax that kept HP out of bankruptcy.

I it weren't for the horrible inflight experience I would jump over to WN. Although I would never fly them on my own dime those Rapid Rewards award tickets are surprisingly valuable on the Coupon Connection.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:41 pm

I don't understand why you would not qualify for trial CP status? It looks to me like all plats get that.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, National Executive
No Free Booze!

No more free drinks at PHX,LAS clubs. Big time bummer!
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

So where's the good stuff?

Some initial observations (recognizing all this takes effect 10/5):
Mileage Award changes
-- No more 15K short-haul tickets
-- DM economy tickets to Europe increase from 40K to 50K

Elite Mileage Bonus
Platinum dropping to 75%, must reach Chairman's to hit 100%

Star Alliance
-- Current HP members must join US Dividend Miles to earn miles on Star Alliance levels. (Presumably, you'll join at base level, without any status benefits.)
-- Current HP members cannot redeem miles for Star Alliance awards until the combination of the new program in mid-06.

Club issues
-- Current HP members can now use US clubs
-- All clubs (except Vegas) will now charge for drinks.
-- All clubs will now charge for high speed internet service (Phoenix clubs will take a while to convert.)
-- Can upgrade US membership to United Red Carpet Club access for $120.

2005 Elite Qualifying Miles
-- Edited to add this Correction: This press releaseclearly states:
"Miles and segments flown on flights operated by both America West and US Airways for all of 2005 will count toward Preferred or Elite status."
Upgrading a coach ticket
-- I don't see this addressed anywhere, in terms of mileage requirements. Presumably it isn't changing.

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Sep 26, 2005 at 5:13 pm Reason: Make correction
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
I don't understand why you would not qualify for trial CP status? It looks to me like all plats get that.
I agree. The way I read it, all current HP Plats will be upgraded to CP. It doesn't say what the "trial period" is, but I would guess year-end. They say in the charts that the "new" Plat status (which is new for US members) doesn't take effect until '06. So as of 10/5 I don't think anyone will be Plat.

Since they've decided to make these changes, this approach to the transition is probably pretty smart. It gives people a 3-month taste of CP and current Plats don't immediately lose their 100% bonus on flights. Obviously they hope that people will fly some more (25K more, to be exact ) between now and the end of the year to stay at CP.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
Ahh.... I needed to be more clear. I'm currently a Gold with 56 segments to date. Had I flown this summer I would be over 90 at this point and had I known about this change I would have done that. I have a plan to hit 90 by the first week of December, but 120 is way out of reach. In any case I won't have 90 on the Oct 5 cutover date.

My normal travel won't qualify me for CP unless I throw in a significant number of segment runs. Routing through LAS doesn't work as the schedules just don't line up for me.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:55 pm

If your interpretation is correct, I will be close enough to fly those extra miles. See you upstairs.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:03 pm

Just to play armchair quarterback for a moment....

Why not extend some "over and above" benefits to CP while keeping the Plat benefits the same?

For instance:
1) Institute a systemwide upgrade and regional upgrade program similar to what UA offers.
2) Offer increased award availability to CP members
3) Offer increased level of service for irregular ops
4) Keep the Platinum bonus level at 100%

As it stands right now the only apparent benefit of CP is the additional 25% bonus and 7 day upgrade window. Both are important to me, but not enough to pay for (out of pocket) and fly an additional 30 segments. I'd rather take some weekend trips to Asia or Europe to rack up more SWUs and miles on UA.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by andrewp
As it stands right now the only apparent benefit of CP is the additional 25% bonus and 7 day upgrade window. Both are important to me, but not enough to pay for (out of pocket) and fly an additional 30 segments. I'd rather take some weekend trips to Asia or Europe to rack up more SWUs and miles on UA.
I'd have to agree with you there. I am really dissapointed about only getting 75% bonus miles next calendar year though.

Question: Say I want to fly to Gatwick, say next March for a long weekend. Of course I know I can fly US and get 100% EQM's via PHL or CLT, but what if I want to fly UA via SFO, or AC via YYZ? Can I get 100% EQM's this way, but no elite benefits correct?

I think Az posted a question about upgrading a coach ticket. I'd like to know how do do that to incase I fly US over the pond.

Ian
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian

Question: Say I want to fly to Gatwick, say next March for a long weekend. Of course I know I can fly US and get 100% EQM's via PHL or CLT, but what if I want to fly UA via SFO, or AC via YYZ? Can I get 100% EQM's this way, but no elite benefits correct?
Based on the current state of things with the *A partners this is correct. There may be fare class limitations for earning EQMs but so fare that ugly practice hasn't popped up with the US-based carriers. You will get *Gold benefits as a US Plat.

I think Az posted a question about upgrading a coach ticket. I'd like to know how do do that to incase I fly US over the pond.
It's up to US to decide the numbers, but if history carries over then it's probably going to be 30K each way. I don't remember if US ever offered a mileage discount for buying a full fare ticket. UA does (15K each way for Y/B fares) and it's one of the best bargains out there.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:32 pm

Just got my new US Airways Club membership card in the mail today. The letter that came along with it was pretty much a mirror of what's on the website posted above.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.