Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is J w/o spacebed?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by StarG
3) Regional J (New): with dark blue cloth surface. With AVOD. Seat pitch is 50". (your second picture link)
WARNING: Very Pedantic Post. But just to add to the completeness of our FAQ

I believe I may have stumbled onto one, possibly two unique aircraft in the fleet that do not follow the general rule that postulates that: New Seat Covers(dark blue) = AVOD on the 2 class regional fleet.

I flew aboard 9V-SRI today. It had the new seat covers but did not have AVOD. I can also confirm that 9V-SRJ - the next one along in the fleet HAS the new seat covers AND AVOD. On the other hand I also recently flew 9V-SRG, and as per the original theory, had old seat covers and no avod. So it seems that there is one , possibly two a/c (the other being 9V-SRH, which I've not been on) which don't follow the "rules".
Old Sep 16, 2005, 4:16 pm

That's now in the FAQ.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 2:25 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Originally Posted by shortfinals
I believe I may have stumbled onto one, possibly two unique aircraft in the fleet that do not follow the general rule that postulates that: New Seat Covers(dark blue) = AVOD on the 2 class regional fleet.

I flew aboard 9V-SRI today. It had the new seat covers but did not have AVOD.
Ah... so a third type of trans-generation Regional J has been found by shortfinals. ^ So far known to exist only on one 2-class 777 aircraft (9V-SRI), the Raffles seats have the newer design BUT the older Krisworld (IFE) system without AVOD.

Has anyone flew on 9V-SRH so we can solve the mystery?
Old Sep 17, 2005, 8:58 am

Ah... so a third type of trans-generation Regional J has been found by shortfinals. ^ So far known to exist only on one 2-class 777 aircraft (9V-SRI), the Raffles seats have the newer design BUT the older Krisworld (IFE) system without AVOD.

Has anyone flew on 9V-SRH so we can solve the mystery?
Make it two at least. Just got off 9V-SRF. It is just like SRI, new seat covers, no avod.

I also took SRD earlier today,and it had the old seat covers and no avod, as expected.

I think they're just refurbishing the seat covers throughout the fleet without updating much else. So expect to maybe see the entire SR/SQ series planes all in the newer dark blue seat covers soon perhaps?
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by shortfinals
I think they're just refurbishing the seat covers throughout the fleet without updating much else. So expect to maybe see the entire SR/SQ series planes all in the newer dark blue seat covers soon perhaps?
Hmm... I am quite puzzled myself to be honest.

Facts:
- It is not just the seat cover they are redoing, since the seat design is between the new Regional J and old Regional J is totally different.
- The last time 'changing of seat covers' was ever done on SQ, it was on their A310-300s where the F seat covers were updated with 777 F cloth and J seat covers with 744 J cloth.

Some theories:
- I doubt that SQ actually replace the old J with the new J as there is no significant improvement on the new J over the old J. Knowing SQ's young fleet policy, the earlier 777s may only be in service with them for another 5-6 years?
- Has the configuration been this way without us noticing it?

Old Sep 18, 2005, 9:57 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
OK...
SQ973 is served by a regional 777, thus the regional J seats.
If you felt the seat looked 'exactly the same', you must have gotten the new regional J, because the seat covers are the same as Ultimo.

Hints: Ultimos have top side are not rounded as regional Js. Ultimos have privacy 'ears' on the side of the headrests.
Ahh. No privacy "ears" on that one but same seat covers than Ultimo so should have been new regional J. Thanks StarG. Quite a decent seat IMHO.

Hmm, reading about your theory though I think you could be on to something. I never had "old" regional J on my flights so I'm not sure. Will take pic's the next time. Only other time I had regional J was SQ995 NRT-BKK-SIN (3-class 777 A/C) and that seat looked exactly like the on on SQ973 (BTW, this was a 2-class 777 A/C in 2-3-2 config in J). New seat covers and "possibly" an upgraded seat beneath it. Or the pld one in a new diguise? That's the question I guess. Anyone some insights?

Cheers ...

Last edited by demue; Sep 18, 2005 at 10:04 pm
Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by demue
Ahh. No privacy "ears" on that one but same seat covers than Ultimo so should have been new regional J. Thanks StarG. Quite a decent seat IMHO.

Hmm, reading about your theory though I think you could be on to something. I never had "old" regional J on my flights so I'm not sure. Will take pic's the next time. Only other time I had regional J was SQ995 NRT-BKK-SIN (3-class 777 A/C) and that seat looked exactly like the on on SQ973 (BTW, this was a 2-class 777 A/C in 2-3-2 config in J). New seat covers and "possibly" an upgraded seat beneath it. Or the pld one in a new diguise? That's the question I guess. Anyone some insights?

Cheers ...
Old regional J still exists. It was on 996 on Saturday night and 153 on Friday morning. A/C registrations SQF and SQA respectively

Old regional J

StarG The picture i promised, i.e New Seat covers with Old non AVOD controller. This is SRF, taken Saturday Night.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 1:24 am

Unfortunately (for the sake of our investigation ), I won't be flying 2 class regional 777s anytime soon. Will watch for any fresh changes to the SQ* series (3 class 772) and the 773s.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:06 am

A small update:
According to my SQ source, Old Regional J seats are gradually being replaced by New Regional J seats. Eventually, all Regional J seats will have AVOD.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 8:15 am

A small update:
According to my SQ source, Old Regional J seats are gradually being replaced by New Regional J seats. Eventually, all Regional J seats will have AVOD.
^ Good news. No more guesswork involved. I have to plan my movie watching you know!
Old Oct 2, 2005, 12:17 am

Did not do me much good on regional J seats with AVOD recently Few days ago, did LHR-SIN then onto SIN-BKK turnaround.

Nothing else to watch and compared to spacebed, regional seats are ... thank goodness for the short haul as I was knackered.

The FAs was suprised to see a nutter doing a BKK turnaround but then again, they were especially nice to me.

The chief steward couldn't be nicer. Asked if I wanted anything else all the time.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 3:27 am
OGY

Programs: SQ (TPP8)
Originally Posted by SQFAN
Nothing else to watch and compared to spacebed, regional seats are ... thank goodness for the short haul as I was knackered.
Well... movie choice in SQ is already quite comprehensive. But if we travel roughly ~15-20hours a month then we'd have watched all the new movies. That's the time to resort to other things --- books, games. I usually resort to playing some games on my laptop.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Maybe someone would know the answer to this:

Why is it that the hollywood movies are shown in pan'n scan while foreign movies are not only subtitled but in widescreen? I wish I could do this whole "watch all the new movies on airplane" thing but I absolutely abhor chopped-up movies.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:31 am

Programs: several
Any guesses what the morning flight from PER to SIN usually uses (SQ224)? It says 772ER, but I suspect that's a regional version, correct? Well...I'm hoping for the one with newer J seats & maybe AVOD anyways!

Last edited by jral; Oct 3, 2005 at 11:07 am
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, SQ Gold
Same question vis a vis SQ468/469 to/from Colombo. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.