Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Rainbow flag pin next to FA’s flying wing.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2005, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond

Ok, before I get trash with this post, let me make it very clear that I have no issue with one’s sexual preference and I understand this is a free country…..

I fly mostly international and I usually pay attention to FA’s country flag pins next to their names. In my last domestic flight in F out of SFO, I noticed one of the FA has a rainbow flag on his chest. Since the rainbow flag does not really represent any country or a special language, I don’t think this is an appropriate dress code. Your thoughts??
Old Sep 8, 2005, 4:10 am

Do trolley dolleys really need to advertise the fact that they are gay?
Whatever next: Popes telling everyone that they're Catholic.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 4:12 am

Programs: United 1k 1 MM
Originally Posted by 168
Ok, before I get trash with this post, let me make it very clear that I have no issue with one’s sexual preference and I understand this is a free country…..

I fly mostly international and I usually pay attention to FA’s country flag pins next to their names. In my last domestic flight in F out of SFO, I noticed one of the FA has a rainbow flag on his chest. Since the rainbow flag does not really represent any country or a special language, I don’t think this is an appropriate dress code. Your thoughts??
Why post this in the first place?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 4:15 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Unhappy

Originally Posted by ramraideruk
Do trolley dolleys really need to advertise the fact that they are gay?
Whatever next: Popes telling everyone that they're Catholic.
No need to be rude.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 4:23 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I think it is a bit redundant. And that comment coming from a gay man.

In all seriousness... If you feel that the rainbow pin may be inappropriate, then the little yellow, pink, red, blue, etc. ribbons would also be inappropriate, not to mention school pins, Masons, and others. For that matter it would raise a question as to a few other things like Crosses, Star of David, etc. Our country protects our right to freedom of expression, and pins are just that.

My guess is UA, and other airlines, have policies about these type of things with regard to number, size, where they may be worn, etc. If you open up this can of worms, then you have to live with the ramifcations of doing so. Not to mention there is so much more important htings in life to dwell on than a pin someone wears, and if we were all identical it sure would be a boring world.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 4:27 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by aaupgrade

In all seriousness... If you feel that the rainbow pin may be inappropriate, then the little yellow, pink, red, blue, etc. ribbons would also be inappropriate, not to mention school pins, Masons, and others. For that matter it would raise a question as to a few other things like Crosses, Star of David, etc. Our country protects our right to freedom of expression, and pins are just that.

My guess is UA, and other airlines, have policies about these type of things with regard to number, size, where they may be worn, etc. If you open up this can of worms, then you have to live with the ramifcations of doing so. Not to mention there is so much more important htings in life to dwell on than a pin someone wears, and if we were all identical it sure would be a boring world.
Very nicely put.
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Given the o.p.'s choice of thread title and his question, this really isn't UA-specific. And since it will -- wait! already has -- attract rude posts I'm going to move to TravelBuzz. Maybe the mod there will think it it better for OMNI, but it really doesn't need to be in UA for folks to line up on the issue of an FA's choice of accessories.

cblaisd
Moderator, United

Originally Posted by 168
Suggeted alternative ways to have begun your post would have been:

"I don't mean this to be taken the wrong way..."

"I don't mean this bad..."

You tipped your hand before started. If you want to post things like this in the future, please go to OMNI.

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
No need to be rude.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by aaupgrade

^
Old Sep 8, 2005, 4:36 am

Programs: WWMFD
Wear any pin you like as long as it doesn't have Herb Kelleher's picture on it.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 4:59 am
Suspended

The man is proud of who he is - let him show it (within reason) while on the job. Enough said.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 5:33 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Flight attendants, and other employees on the front line, are supposed to be in uniform, and part of "uniform" means no personal decorations of your own. It looks unprofessional for people to advertise their political or religious or whatever feelings while on the job in public.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 5:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JS
Flight attendants, and other employees on the front line, are supposed to be in uniform, and part of "uniform" means no personal decorations of your own. It looks unprofessional for people to advertise their political or religious or whatever feelings while on the job in public.
Huh? So an FA shouldn't wear a cross while on duty?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by JS
Flight attendants, and other employees on the front line, are supposed to be in uniform, and part of "uniform" means no personal decorations of your own.
It does? I haven't read the UA FA's manual, but I would guess that they do allow personal "decorations" to some degree. If you have read the manual, why didn't disclose your source? Of course, if you didn't, what makes you so confident?
Originally Posted by JS
It looks unprofessional for people to advertise their political or religious or whatever feelings while on the job in public.
I disagree, everyone is different and it doesn't harm me if people wish to show it. aaupgrade put it much better than I could, so I'll leave it at that.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 6:09 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Try telling pins are not appropriate to Air Koryo staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.