Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First experience of the new KLM Lounge at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2005, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
First experience of the new KLM Lounge at AMS

Just a quick opinion. I had a couple of flights in Europe Select yesterday and spent all of 10 minutes in this lounge before leaving for my usual Priority Pass lounge where the dragons and the the ambiance are a little friendlier.

Yes, there was more to munch on and a better selection of drinks and the place is very clean and new but I found it all a little too big, too light and too noisy. It wasn't particularly busy at 18:00 but nevertheless the thing that struck me most was the noise. The designers don't seem to have paid any attention to the acoustics of the place.

Would I use it again? Yes. I think my future usage will be the KLM lounge for some snacks and a drink followed by either the Globalground or Menzies lounge for relaxing (and more drinking).

BTW, on a positive note, I thought the great big blue chairs absolutely rocked!
Old Aug 20, 2005, 10:38 am

Detailed informations about the new KLM Lounge will be found here:
KLM Crown Lounge
Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Well despite the noise, I'm glad to hear that they are improving something. The old Crown lounge down there was pretty big, open, and noisy as well so I don't really think it's a net loss.

After looking at the photos, I have to say this looks like a really nice lounge! A little cavernous, maybe, but a huge improvement over what we had before, and with a much nicer spread than the AF lounges in CDG.

Last edited by alanw; Aug 20, 2005 at 11:41 am
Old Aug 20, 2005, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Don't get me wrong, it's all very smart but I didn't find it easy to relax there.

One other positive thing worth adding is that they do have a full time service desk there. Presumably, if you're GE, PE or travelling on a premium ticket, they can sort out any connection problems (and perhaps enforce a little more priority than the gate agents or main transfer desks)?
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Internaut
Presumably, if you're GE, PE or travelling on a premium ticket, they can sort out any connection problems (and perhaps enforce a little more priority than the gate agents or main transfer desks)?
Just don't ask for an emergency exit row seat, they are not authorized to allocate those. (They can of course call Special Services and request such a seat, but they may need to be reminded of this option).

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Aug 21, 2005 at 12:47 pm
Old Aug 21, 2005, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Just don't ask for an emergency exit row seat, they are not authorized to allocate those...
How unbelievably pathetic This airline needs to get a grip.

In the grand scheme of things, I guess this is pretty far down the list of screwed up things about KL.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 6:05 am

Programs: MileagePlus GS
A quick ? on the location of the new and "improved" lounge at Schiphol: If I am reading the map right, then this lounge is not really that condusive to transatlantic travel because it is on the Schengen side of customs.

One could consider weighing the benefits of going through customs twice to experience the new lounge, but I am not sure if its worth it.

Anyone know of plans to redo any of the other lounges?

thanx
Old Aug 22, 2005, 7:18 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by texas gold
One could consider weighing the benefits of going through customs twice to experience the new lounge, but I am not sure if its worth it.
You'd have to go twice through passport control, and one extra security screening. My advice would be that you'd do it if your departure is in D or E pier and you are arriving/departing off-peak. Off peak the lines are short so it might be worth it. During peak-hours I'd stay away.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 5:40 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Been there yesterday for the first time to take a shower after arriving from YYZ. Nice shower rooms, much better than the old shower cabins at the mercure. I really like the new design.

I had a problem with an NW eticket that did not exist in KL's system. First the lady at the service desk said that I probably would have to go down to that 'take a number' ticket desk but then found a willing and knowing person via phone that could re-instate my NW eticket to the KL system.

Several people asked and got a paper-card with a handwritten code on it, presumable for free web access.

All in all a big plus from the old lounge!

As I'm not sure if I even will make Gold for next year (because of that unbelievable stupid only 50% COS bonus for intercont. biz), it may have been my first and last visit to that fancy shower-room...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.