Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miss a BA flight and you're out of luck?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2005, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Again, the mixed bag was to get the lowest fare with guarenteed Business transatlanic.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by skofarrell
If I live in London and have an "R" ticket LHR to BRU and my car breaks down on the way to the airport, am I buying a one way if I still want to go?
Unless you have BA status, the staff are in the right mood and the wind is blowing the right way, yes - almost certainly a new ticket! You pays your money, you takes your choice as it were - if you want the deep-discount fares, you have to accept the restrictions. As others have said, BA does not do standby like they do in the US. And as I'm sure someone will say if I don't, BA is not bankrupt like they are in the US either!

In your above example though, it may be covered by a travel insurance policy if you have one, depending on the terms, I guess.

Phil
Old Jul 27, 2005, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by GBOAC
Unless you have BA status, the staff are in the right mood and the wind is blowing the right way, yes - almost certainly a new ticket! You pays your money, you takes your choice as it were - if you want the deep-discount fares, you have to accept the restrictions. As others have said, BA does not do standby like they do in the US. And as I'm sure someone will say if I don't, BA is not bankrupt like they are in the US either!

In your above example though, it may be covered by a travel insurance policy if you have one, depending on the terms, I guess.

Phil
That actually helps a lot. I was approaching this with a US travel centric view (more liberal standby rules).

If "R" class is use it or lose it, the corp travel agent is definitely at fault for not clearly pointing that out.

She needs to direct her anger at the right party for sure. BA no longer the villain!
Old Jul 27, 2005, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If "R" class is use it or lose it, the corp travel agent is definitely at fault for not clearly pointing that out.
She needs to direct her anger at the right party for sure. BA no longer the villain!
As said before, the problem was not with BA's correct application of the rules. The problem was entirely the "we don't care" mentality exhibited.
Within Europe, BA don't really offer any reasonably priced tickets that offer any kind of flexibility...

Last edited by graraps; Jul 27, 2005 at 8:54 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 27, 2005, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
To be honest, this one sounds to me like an (admittedly annoying and unfortunate for your wife) catalogue of errors and everyone involved could have done something better/different (and may well have 'on a good day'). The TA should have given full/better details to your wife of the tickets, booking and restrictions. UA should have properly re-issued a ticket for the missed connection (on one airline or another - of course they have to pay BA somehow for the new ticket/seat since the original one was 'use it or lose it'). BA could have been more sympathetic and helpful. And both BA and UA could have been clearer about what had been done, what needed to be done next and by whom.

All in all, a bit of a shambles

Phil
Old Jul 27, 2005, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well said, phil.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:04 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Lots of awful circumstances on this trip.

Why didn't she fly on AA transatlantic? Crackdown on expenses: Policy changed this year to only allow business to Asia and South America. UA had the least expensive ticket, plus the corp travel dept has a number of "golden tickets" that allow upgrades from economy to business at the time booking. LHR to BRU on BA was the best choice schedule wise, based on her arrival.

She was initially delayed in IND and again in ORD. UA reservations had protected her on an FRA flight (with a connection on LH to BRU), UA ORD matrons would not let her move due to checking a bag, so off to sunny London she went. Her bag was checked through to BRU

I am sure that the corp travel agent had a role to play in this mess as well. She tried calling their "emergency help desk" at approx 10am London time, when someone finally answered, she was told there wasn't anyone there that could help her.

I'm still surprised at BA's "use it or lose it" attitude. In the US, I've missed my share of flights (most due to my own incompetence), and have always been accommodated on a standby basis. Once in a blue moon paying a change fee to get a guaranteed later flight. This is were I'm most surprised.

If I live in London and have an "R" ticket LHR to BRU and my car breaks down on the way to the airport, am I buying a one way if I still want to go?
Actually - yes you do. Sad situation, sorry situation - but there it is you lose the lot. Car breakdowns, train delays, none of these are down to BA - so it is goodbye ticket. I suspect that this is pretty common on most airlines. Standby seems to have gone out of the window - so I fear that on any discount tickets unless the airline are themselves to blame that's it. I hate to say this but the check in agents hear this every single day. What I do not understand is why United did not endorse the ticket properly but you said the magic word Corporate and I suspect that is the route to go. A shame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.