Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

What Is SQ's (and MH's) Logic For Selling the SIN-KUL Premium Cabin As First Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Is SQ's (and MH's) Logic For Selling the SIN-KUL Premium Cabin As First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

Hi All,

Just kindof interested to know why SQ (and MH, which appears to do the same) labels its premium cabin on the SIN-KUL route as First Class. While this is great for travelers (and something I am thinking about taking advantage of later this year), I don't see why SQ doesn't brand it as Business Class (which is what, I gather, the on board seating is). I mean, why give access to the SIN (and KUL) F lounge and check-in if you don't have to?

Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2005, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I am guessing its due to a long-standing air traffic agreement in place between Malaysian and Singapore.

Being a VS Flying Club member , I am very happy as it is the cheapest way to collect Virgin tier points to qualify for a gold card (4 KUL-SIN returns in F to qualify or 3 returns in F to retain). Benefits includes use of the VS lounge in London which offers free haircuts, massages and manicures and great all day waiter-service cooked meals.

The choice of food selection in SIN F lounge may be wider (and there is no beating the satay) but it is still a self service buffet.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Who cares, as it is a very inexpensive way of getting into two of the best airline lounges in the world: SQ First (SIN) & MH First (KUL)!
Old Jul 20, 2005, 7:05 pm

Don't know the rationale behind it but

I've got a love hate relationship with this MH/SQ F KUL-SIN-KUL thing.

Why I like this FY system:

It entitles you to use the F Side lounges at both airports (IMHO up there with the best)

1500 miles on LH M&L (1875 in the good old days) when flying SQ

Kerbside check in in SIN (SQ) and KUL (MH)

Cheapish upgrade from Y (RM 92, or USD 24) - great when you need a certain number of status flights and F counts for the most.

Why it's not so good:

Through fares from KUL crossing in SIN onward in J only get you Y from KUL-SIN.

KUL is one of those stations where you cannot book an online award on KF in J class to get the 15% discount , because of this quirk.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:21 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
I did ask and was told once, but it's gone from memory, but is a nice touch even though it is a shuttle and the seats are business. The toothbrushes in the toilet are F, etc and you check in F, etc.

I just sit back and enjoy the short ride, until I hit KLIA!!!
Old Jul 21, 2005, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks.

I am definately going to do it. I'll take SQ to KUL and MH on the way back. That was actually cheaper by a few dollars than a RT to KUL on SQ.

I've never flown either carrier (pretty much a Oneworld guy), but I'm looking forward to the experience.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA GLD
PresRDC
Enjoy! It is one of the great values for those who simply love flying. And you did everything right. SQ on the way out, MH on the way back. Split ticket to save a few $$$.

I was told the reason many years ago by a Singapore Airlines sales rep about why it's marketed as First Class and not Business Class on this route, but cannot remember at the moment. Something about the fact that SQ and MH pool the revenue on this flight, and government officials traveling in First Class and not Business Class, as I recall.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 4:07 pm

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
The SQ lounge in KLIA is pretty crappy. MH, as you would expect has a big, good lounge and you have access to the F side. I have used the MH shuttle just to have the shower, etc in KUL before flying down to SIN and connecting to SYD or elsewhere, especially when I have had the time in KUL and less so for transit at the end of working all day.

Also, look out for the blue lane in KLIA both directions to speed you through immigration. If the line is long, get the Immi attendants to check everyone should be in line - they usually clear off most in front of you (get the card from SQ or MH to join the line).
Old Feb 20, 2006, 6:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by shortfinals
Cheapish upgrade from Y (RM 92, or USD 24) - great when you need a certain number of status flights and F counts for the most.
Is this still true? If I have a Y ticket KUL-SIN-BKK, can I upgrade the KUL-SIN for such a small amount?
Old Feb 20, 2006, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Is this still true? If I have a Y ticket KUL-SIN-BKK, can I upgrade the KUL-SIN for such a small amount?
It will totally depend on the type of ticket you're holding. Only full Y class fare basis can upgrade to F class. If you're on any other carrier other than MH, then you'd have to make sure that your ticket is fully unrestricted for any changes.

What airline are you booked in from KUL-SIN-BKK? Is it a full economy fare?
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:27 pm

Hmm.. If I travel Singapore Airlines to KL and MH back, do I get my Krisflyer miles for the MH leg?
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
It will totally depend on the type of ticket you're holding.
Precisely - it depends on the fare construction and break points - but generally, yes - 24.20 USD is still applicable.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by RA-wannabe
Hmm.. If I travel Singapore Airlines to KL and MH back, do I get my Krisflyer miles for the MH leg?
No. Must be SQ metal. MH metal does not count.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by PresRDC
I am definately going to do it. I'll take SQ to KUL and MH on the way back. That was actually cheaper by a few dollars than a RT to KUL on SQ.

Sorry for sounding so naive but how do you do this? Every website I have tried (Expedia, Travelocity etc) has shown "error" when I select SQ one way and MH the other. Did you buy it as 2 ways?

Cheers
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Sorry for sounding so naive but how do you do this? Every website I have tried (Expedia, Travelocity etc) has shown "error" when I select SQ one way and MH the other. Did you buy it as 2 ways?

Cheers
Mainly because SQ can be e-ticketable whereas MH isn't.

But do this next time.. if you want to fly both... issue one ticket on either SQ or MH ticket stock. Only between SIN-KUL v.v., MH and SQ tickets are interchangeable and accepted by either airline without endorsements.

So if you hold MH ticket stock from KUL to SIN, on an open dated ticket, you may just make a reservation on SQ, and just show up at the counter. But if you have a SQ ticket on e-ticket, you would need SQ to print out a ticket coupon for you to bring over to MH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.