Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Indianapolis REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2005, 6:32 am
Original Poster

I'm going to be in Indianpolis for the Summer NAMM show this weekend. Any thoughts on the Hyatt property there? Right now, I've got two nights reserved on points, since PL didn't work.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:58 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I have never stayed there but......I have a client that had an special meeting there for their employees across the country and they got a lot of complaints about the rooms. I think this property is just older and hasnt been kept up. It is a part of an office, shops, restaurant complex that is a bit dated and could use some updating. Sorry I dont have more info but I wouldnt expect a typical Hyatt experience at this property.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I have never stayed there but......I have a client that had an special meeting there for their employees across the country and they got a lot of complaints about the rooms. I think this property is just older and hasnt been kept up. It is a part of an office, shops, restaurant complex that is a bit dated and could use some updating. Sorry I dont have more info but I wouldnt expect a typical Hyatt experience at this property.
I stayed there last fall for a convention. The mixed use office/hotel complex and atrium is dated and dreary. However the rooms were renovated within the past 2 years or so. My room was very good with fairly new decor/furniture, a nice comfy bed and the standard Hyatt amenities.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 9:20 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
I have stayed there for single-night visits several times over the last year. It is a standard downtown Hyatt Regency that doesn't thrill but isn't too bad either. The restaurant is pretty good for breakfast. They have an internal glass elevator and the rooms that run each side of the full open-air lobby -- just like any standard HR. Rooms have been renovated and are adequate but not swanky.

There are some pretty decent restaurants nearby -- P.F. Chang's is across the street (I'm not a big fan but I know others are). The downtown is a bit more lively than KC, which ain't saying much I know. It's not NY or Chicago, certainly.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:14 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by TravelScholar
I'm going to be in Indianpolis for the Summer NAMM show this weekend. Any thoughts on the Hyatt property there? Right now, I've got two nights reserved on points, since PL didn't work.
Just returned and was able to get 1 night, 2 rooms $73.00 per room on priceline. Bid on Thursday 07/21 for arrival on Saturday 07/23.

Hotel was very accomodating in blocking connecting rooms, as we were a family traveling together.

Property was fine, though nothing out of the ordinary to report. A very standard property; though, the unstocked refrigerators in the room were a nice touch, and very helpfull for the kids.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:22 pm

Location: Carmel(not By the sea), IN - US Chairman, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold VIP, UA Premier Exec, Hertz 5 Star, Marriott Silver
Being a Hyatt Diamond from Indy with at least 25 nights per year for the last fifteen years, I struggled with reporting good news about this property. Years ago it offered a hospitible Regency Club but closed as it could not control the traffic and aledged to lose money on the RC. Of course, back then they were using mechanical keys and I recall staying in room 1602 in 1991 and checking into the same room 1602 in 1993 and my key from 1991 still opened the door. (Yikes).
However I would say the hotel has made and continues to make some large investments to remain competitive in a very lively downtown hotel market. (A brand new Conrad is being built diagonally accross the street NE on Wash and Illinois. The Marriott and Westin located less than two blocks W are not very old either) Rumors have it that the Pritskers or their reps actually visited the facility a few years and "encouraged" these renovations. The comments regarding the rooms by the previous FTyers sums it up. The management works very hard to please and the front desk personnel very obliging.

The location is excellent for sightseeing/shopping. The Zoo, NCAA Hall of Fame, countless museums and Indy ranked 2ND in the nation in monuments for starters. The Porch offers generous meal portions and is a good value. If you want a steak and you have $$$, go to St.Elmos, less than a block away SE. Visit our Circle Center Mall one block south and leave some $$$ behind for the local economy.
TravelScholar - my advice is to go it. Let me know when you are coming down and perhaps we can get together. I will show you a little Hoosier Hospitality.

Last edited by IndyHyattHopper; Jul 25, 2005 at 2:16 pm
Old Aug 2, 2005, 9:26 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
Don't you just love Hoosier Hospitality???

If you have ever been to Phoenix, you know what the Hyatt Indianapolis looks like. It is identical to the Hyatt PHX. Not the Hyatt Scottsdale...

I would say the sad thing about the renovation is similar to my favorite hometown Hyatt, the Hyatt DTC, when they renovated the rooms, they went for the really dark brown art deco look. VERY dark...

Go with what my dad says...Saint Elmo's. Otherwise, right next door to the PF Chang's is a Ruth Chris. And Morton's is only a few blocks away. And one of the first Buca di Beppo's is across the street. And there is a Shula's inside the Westin.

Ooh, and spend some money at Nordstrom, which is across the street. As well as Parisian (owned by the SAKS group).

Since you are from Fort Wayne, you already have an H&M in your downtown convention center mall. Indy will get one this month, I believe in the Circle Center Mall.

Walk on over to Conseco Fieldhouse and you might see your favorite basketball player shooting hoops in the practice facility. It is visible from the street. Very cool!

Enjoy Indy!
Old Aug 14, 2005, 9:20 pm

I am currently in my room at the Hyatt IND (priceline for $50) and must say that I am very impressed. We arrived at 7:30 pm and Victoria at the front desk was one of the nicest hotel employees I've ever met. After dinner at Ruth's Chris we chatted for about 15 minutes. The bellboy was also quite nice and eager to help out with directions and restaurant suggestions.

The diamond amenity consisted of 4 beers (card said there would be only 2) and a fruit plate with 2 bananas, 2 apples, and an orange. The only problem is that I just realized that the breakfast voucher is for just one person, but I'm sure that that will be easy to straighten out in the morning.

Now, this isn't the PH Chicago, but I would stay here again. I'll be at school just south of here and might be staying here quite a bit when friends are in town.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 8:08 pm

Gosh, any updates here? The web says there is extensive renovations. Trying to decide whether it's worth slumming it here for the FFN credit or enjoy a night at the Conrad...
Old Aug 31, 2007, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Gold; OnePass; SkyMiles
Smile Safe Choice

Originally Posted by TravelScholar
I've stayed at this property several times and agree with most of the comments in that it is not a "destination" hotel, but My rooms have always been very clean and comfortable, and the entire staff has always treated me with genuine midwestern hospitality. BTW, the view is nice from the rooftop restaurant.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt, US Gld
Hyatt vs Conrad

Do not hesitate. Go directly to the Conrad. Food, service, rooms blow the Hyatt away.

As a Diamond with both Hyatt and Hilton, I can safely say the Indy Hyatt is generally a miserable experience.

The renovations continue, the food is terrible, I have never, ever been upgraded. They never have a breakfast coupon ready and remember the welcoming amenity about half the time. Workout facility is OK. Room themostats do as they please...

The Conrad has a nice breakfast, also has a newly opened Capital Grille, huge flat screens, duvets, tv's in the bathrooms. Great service. Only downside is parking.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:59 am
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
I agree. I stayed there for one night this past weekend, and it's only good if you get a cheap rate and you want to maintain your hyatt status. Other than that, it's very standard, and the food is nothing to write home about.

The construction didn't really bother me. Although, shouting over all that noise while checking in made me wish I had just done the self-check in kiosk.

The front desk staff is kind of remedial and need some "help" in remembering things like bonuses and settling bills. I'm actually still owed a credit for them that they're still processing.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by thc
I agree. I stayed there for one night this past weekend, and it's only good if you get a cheap rate and you want to maintain your hyatt status. Other than that, it's very standard, and the food is nothing to write home about.

The construction didn't really bother me. Although, shouting over all that noise while checking in made me wish I had just done the self-check in kiosk.

The front desk staff is kind of remedial and need some "help" in remembering things like bonuses and settling bills. I'm actually still owed a credit for them that they're still processing.
I stayed there this past Sunday 1/13 - Ditto. Never again.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 4:10 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
While I agree that the hotel is not the most charming looking Hyatt in the world, I have had great stay experiences twice this year. Granted each was for only one night, but I found the rooms blocked for me nice (large, corner rooms with exterior facing windows and a separate alcove with closet and bathroom. What struck me each time was how nice the staff was!

The first time they were very welcoming and warm and since it was my first stay they were interested in making sure that I knew where everything was, both in the hotel and in the surrounding area. The second stay featured an early arrival and a room that wasn't ready. They simply gave me the choice of a different room with 2 double beds, but I preferred to wait for the king bed room that was blocked. They walked me over to the restaurant (not your typical hotel restaurant) and bought me lunch and kept me advised of my progress.

I got breakfast vouchers each time, and the second time the also gave me a 20 dollar food credit cert as part of an ongoing promotion. So two meals plus 20 bucks towards my bar tab - not bad...

All in all I found it to be a functional, warm hotel that met my needs. Not a vacation destination, but not sure that it needs to be
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, National
Haven't seen any recent reviews of this property, so I thought I'd give my two cents.

I stayed here recently for business. The lobby and common areas were very nice as was the staff. My room on the other hand was quite disappointing. I have stayed at this property before using Priceline (for pleasure) and got some exceptional rooms with a good view. This time I paid the rack rate, and received a room the size of a tuna can. When I asked the staff if they could give me another room, they said that they were pretty full that night, but the next two were pretty open. I was staying for a few nights so I asked them if they could even do something for the next two nights. I was disappointed that they didn't even attempt to find me something the next two nights.

Bedding and the room were standard Hyatt issue, just crammed into a tiny space. If you have a choice of staying downtown or in the surrounding area, I would recommend one of the Hyatt Places a few miles away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.