Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Mainline 737-800 Aircraft: All Coach Class

Delta Mainline 737-800 Aircraft: All Coach Class

Old Aug 13, 2001, 7:09 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

737-800 ALL coach?

What is up with this? Was checking flights into the fourth quarter and noticed two flights I use frequently going from an MD-88 to a 737-800. But, the seat map on the 737-800 comes up ALL coach. Is this the future for Delta. Don't worry about upgrades or L fares...you are ALL coach anyway! If you are interested in looking, it was Flight #1087 from CVG to BHM.
Old Aug 13, 2001, 7:24 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Usually this happens on weekend flights using east coast shuttle equipment. May be that the planes freed up by the downgrading of BOS-DCA shuttle service to ACA commuter equipment will be on this route. I would expect Delta to convert them to normal configuration as soon as possible, unless they are anticipating returning them to shuttle service soon. By the way, the shuttle "all-coach" configuration has more seat pitch (=legroom) than normal coach.

But, this is all speculation. Anybody know for sure? 10kster?

------------------
"Service" should be a noun, not a verb.
Delta Flyers' Guide
Old Aug 13, 2001, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These are probably shuttle aircraft on off days.
Old Aug 13, 2001, 8:18 pm

A single DL Shuttle 738 is flown into ATL from Friday evenings through Sunday nights every week to operate extra sections on the ATL-MCO and ATL-TPA runs.

The 738s freed up from the downgrade of BOS-DCA will be reconfigured to mainline standards before being introduced into service, according to my sources.
Old Aug 14, 2001, 12:03 am

B747, it's a better forum with your well-informed posts.
Old Aug 14, 2001, 7:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CALeeIII:
the seat map on the 737-800 comes up ALL coach. Is this the future for Delta.</font>
I wish this was the future of Delta. The 737-800 Shuttle aircraft have a 36" pitch. They also use this aircraft Friday BOS-ATL and Sunday ATL-BOS.

Are there any seats that are better on this aircraft (bulkhead or exit ) or are they all the same ?
Old Aug 14, 2001, 8:33 am

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
I would think they would be better served by having the extra 737-800s serve as extra sections when they need them (advertised point).

Just a thought.
Old Aug 14, 2001, 9:30 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Art234, the Shuttle doesn't have as many passengers on the weekend. DL isn't worried about running out of seats on the weekend with the remaining Shuttle fleet (and if they do, I believe the compensation is a free ticket).
Old Aug 14, 2001, 11:01 am

Could this also have something to do with the success of SouthWest, and of things to come??
Old Aug 14, 2001, 2:02 pm

This is nothing new, and we've had several threads about this in the past. Delta Shuttle is packed during the business week, but on the weekend, loads are quite light, so Delta places some of its Shuttle aircraft to Florida where the loads are higher on weekends. They fly Friday BOS-ATL (maybe LGA-ATL too?), then between ATL and Tampa and Orlando, then back up to Boston. US Airways Shuttle does the same thing, bringing its Airbus 320s from LaGuardia and Boston down to Fort Lauderdale and Miami (specifically due to the influx of cruise ship passengers who generally dis/embark on Sat or Sun),
Old Aug 14, 2001, 3:24 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Ah, yes, BizJet, that seems to be the consensus. The question here is what is one of these planes doing on CVG-BHM in the middle of the week, if that is in fact what is happening.

When I check it, it shows as "unknown coach class", which is the same message you get with #2222, the Friday BOS-ATL positioning flight which we know is shuttle equipment.

It seems to me the easiest explanations are a computer glitch, or that 437's sources are wrong.

As Sgt. Schultz would say, "verrrry interesting."

------------------
"Service" should be a noun, not a verb.
Delta Flyers' Guide
Old Aug 14, 2001, 6:38 pm

Sorry, my bad. Generally I just quickly skim posts which sometimes causes me to miss important details! I didn't realize that CALee was referring to CVG-BHM, a route which shouldn't have this Delta Shuttle weekend thing. I agree with LexPassenger and others, it must be a computer glitch.

While it is possible that you will have a two-class 738 (and even less possible that you will have a one-class 738!), my best guess is you will eventually find yourself on a friendly MD-88!

Let us know that happens...

BizJet
Old Aug 15, 2001, 11:40 am

I shot off an email to my contact about this and this was his reply

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">anyways, to answer your question....there will either 3 or 4 shuttle
aircraft being converted back to Mainline....Not sure which tail numbers
yet, the engineering and planning work is still in the writing phase at the
moment!</font>
Old Aug 16, 2001, 9:50 am

Programs: AA 1MM Platinum; SPG Gold; Priority Club/IHG Platinum Ambassador
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ATLJV:
I wish this was the future of Delta. The 737-800 Shuttle aircraft have a 36" pitch. They also use this aircraft Friday BOS-ATL and Sunday ATL-BOS.

Are there any seats that are better on this aircraft (bulkhead or exit ) or are they all the same ?
</font>
Delta Shuttle planes are some of the most comfortable i have been on, although they are a little narrow. The legroom is awesome, and I (being 6'4") have no problems sitting in any seat.
As for your question, the bulkhead has a little more room and from what i remember, the emergency exit has considerably more legroom. Not to mention the seats are all leather, with power ports, etc. Although the flight from DCA to LGA is so short you hardly have time to power up your laptop!
I just wish Delta would start using their 738s on Delta Express. I would be in heaven....

-Eli

------------------
Washington/Miami
AAdvantage Gold
Old Aug 16, 2001, 11:26 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
DL will never use Shuttle equipment on Express (or mainline for that matter). The Shuttle has good legroom because it's expensive (the fares, that is). DL Express has no legroom (and old planes) because it's cheap.

Neither has F class but for different reasons. The Shuttle flights aren't long enough and the legroom is good. Express is cheap, where F fares would be difficult to sell and more seats need to be available. They are two completely separate markets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.